Grain Expiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrone_mike

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been discussed but I didn't come across it. I found a 5 lb bag of sealed grain, 2.5lbs of pils and 2.5 lbs of wheat. It has probably been in my basement, for two years, fairly cool and relatively airtight. Any idea how long crushed grain lasts?

Taste a little bit. Does it taste stale? How was it sealed? Relatively airtight doesn't sound too good. If really tight it might be usable.

Generally most would say a couple of months. If vacuum sealed longer, if then refrigerated even longer.

If it was uncrushed, I'd say two years is about a year too long. If it's crushed...toss it or compost it or feed it to some chickens. That's like $6 worth of grain...not worth it to go through all the effort of a brew day just to find out that your grain didn't work.

Sealed, uncrushed, cool - I'd taste it and then use it if it tastes okay. I've used 2+ yr old grain with no problems (stored in pet containers). There's only one harvest a year so it's not like the grain at the LHBS is fresh every month.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna be safe as it is crushed and does seem a bit stale. Not worth the time for that little amount of grain. Thanks as always everyone!

I've had some crushed grain that ended up being stored for 6+ years. As good and fresh as new. The base malt I treated as having 0 DP, just mashed together with fresh. Worked great.

Now if it obviously tastes stale or moldy, mildewy, I'd feed it to the animals. Or compost it. Or maybe do a wild fermentation in the yard with it.

I agree with most of you on the base malts. What if you have uncrushed specialty grains sealed, dry, cool, dark area? What is the rule then? I assume it changes a bit by the grain and roast. Carafa, Chocolate Malt, Honey Malt, Cara Malt, etc.

I agree with most of you on the base malts. What if you have uncrushed specialty grains sealed, dry, cool, dark area? What is the rule then? I assume it changes a bit by the grain and roast. Carafa, Chocolate Malt, Honey Malt, Cara Malt, etc.

They should last for years. Limit the amount of air exposure. I store them in Heavy Duty Freezer Zipper bags (Glad), squeeze out as much air as possible. They all live inside a large plastic storage tote. I have (unmilled) grain that's been stored like that for as long as 4 years and is as fresh as the day I got it.

The only one that I noticed some rancidness with after 2 years was Simpson's Golden Naked Oats (it's a crystal malt). They're very oily, and best stored for extended times in a fridge or freezer. Again, well sealed in thick airless bags.

My crushed base malts were kept in sealed plastic bins with a handful of silica sachets and my speciality grains in sealed plastic bags in the freezer for about four years beyond BBE and they all mashed and tasted fine. The way to proceed has already been mentioned, just taste test it and see what you think. The only extra thing I did was 'mash' a little in a mug to check that it would convert before getting too excited for brew day and I gave it an extra 30 minutes in the mash to account for potential slower conversion.

Love this site for searches like this!

I have 5+ year old base grain (pale, pilsner, etc) stored in a Rubbermaid trash can and the lid was sealed with heavy duty plastic wrap. Sounds like since it was sealed up tight the grain should be fine to use.

Is there any other recent experience that would contradict the last sentiments above?

I store all my grain in either buckets with Gamma Lids or Lock And Lock style containers. By the time I finish any particular container the grain is probably at least 2 years old.

I need to brew more often......

edited for typing.......

Last edited:
Back