Grain bills crushed to order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3lackEyedAngels

Reaction score
First time in a long time lol...

I want to get back into making my own beer this fall. I've got a two year old now so I'm looking for ways to save time. I found an online shop called Great Fermentations that offers grain bills milled to order (Beer Brewing Grains) Does anyone have any experience with them. Are there similar shops that I should look at as well?

You can look at the big guys,

Morebeer
Adventures in Homebrewing
Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew Supply
Atlantic Homebrew Supply

Personally I'd also look for your local Homebrew shop and send them some business as well.

Be prepared for some inconsistent grain crushes as well...a lot of HBS don't check the mill gap as often as they should!

Most, if not all, homebrew shops crush (mill) grain.
I'm not sure what "milled to order" means.

Quality of the crush varies widely and tends to range from fairly coarse to much too coarse.

Grain is heavy, so shipping can become expensive.
As @Sammy86 says, maybe visit a local brew shop?

I want to get back into making my own beer this fall. I've got a two year old now so I'm looking for ways to save time. I found an online shop called Great Fermentations that offers grain bills milled to order (Beer Brewing Grains) Does anyone have any experience with them. Are there similar shops that I should look at as well?
What state do you live in?

I’ve ordered milled grains from them twice before and they’ve both been fine. If I’m remembering correctly you can separate the grains by specific bills. Nothing I’ve needed to do but was a neat feature. I BIAB and got the regular crush (I believe they’ll double-crush for a $1-2 more). My efficiency was just fine with the single crush.

I’d also recommend Ritebrew. I get mine double crushed, and usually order a couple grainbills at a time to save on shipping. Can order pounds and ounces. They do a great job.

I’d also recommend Ritebrew. I get mine double crushed, and usually order a couple grainbills at a time to save on shipping. Can order pounds and ounces. They do a great job.

That's where I get my grains- but uncrushed since I have my own mill. I've been really happy with them for years. I know you can get them milled, and mixed in with other grains (a recipe) or separate.
There as local to me as well, only 150 miles away. :)
https://www.ritebrew.com/

I get all my ingredients from Atlantic brew supply. They are great. All grains are sold by the ounce, and you can get them uncrushed, single crushed, or double crushed. Shipping is fast and reasonably priced. Can't say enough good things about them.

If you have a local home brew shop use them but if you don't Great Fermentations is where I go and they do an excellent job. The grains are milled very well and you can email your recipe and they will fill your order. $8.99 flat rate shipping and free if your order is more than $55.

I've ordered from Great Fermentations and they're a great shop. I believe that "milled to order" means they separate your grain by recipe. You can order grains for several recipes at once and group them into grain bill 1,2,3 etc. It's nice feature even when you mill your own grains. They also allow ordering fractional quantities which is nice.

They put out coupons from time to time, so be on the lookout before finalizing your order.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with them. I mix my orders between my local HBC and Great Fermentations. Most of my grains come from GF because their selection is fairly broad and I'm not ready to buy really large quantities at this point. The mixed grain bill works great if you know exactly what you need. GF costs seem reasonable too, especially if you get the free shipping.

I've never heard of them but I've been out of the loop on the online grain order game because I was getting grain through my brew club. Now that we haven't met in months I've started buying through morebeer again.
I have 2 kids, 4 and 6, and I've been brewing well before they were born. I can honestly say the biggest time saver has been milling my own grain and doing everything myself when I can fit it in. I can run and do whatever prep I need when I have the time whether it be at night or 10-15 mins here or there during the day. The results are consistent and I don't have to rely on anyone else. You can get a mill for around $100 on aih. Being able to weigh the grist out and crush it the night before makes it well worth it! I used to even do the brew all the way through the sparge then boil and take it from there the next day.
Hell, back when my 2 were really little there were a few brew days that were extended across 3 days, haha. Would do the mash and sparge day one, then boil it and do an over night "no chill" on day two, then pitch the yeast and clean the kettle on the third day. Anything to fit in a brew back then!
Good luck to you :mug:

Back