GRABASS 1/9 Brewgasm (Cary, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in, barring the unforeseen.

Let me know about grains too. I have roughly 100 lbs of 2-row right now and could toss some in.

BTW, I could also bring "Coolernator 1" - a Therminator who has a cold-side loop pumped through an ice bath in a cooler. I could definitely use some advice on Coolernator 2, where I improve the cold side with a larger cooler, etc.

As for a pump, I just happen to have a loose March pump I have yet to use.

Welcome aboard!

PM sent with my address.

I think we are probably all squared away with grains. I ordered over 100lbs from austin homebrew yesterday.

Any type of chilling device would be welcome, provided its (a) legal and (b) non-lethal. :D

The march pump would be cool to have on hand, too. Boston's getting one for Xmas and will be bringing it along as well.

This should be a kick-ass day!

So bad news fella's. I just found out I have to be in Greensboro on the 9th in order to register for classes and thusly can't make it to the brewgasm. Real disappointed about this, but I guess a whole semester of college kind of necessitates my being there. I will certainly be around for other brew days, and hope to host one in February.

So, I guess that will free up a stand at Walker's for the big day. I was on the hook to bring a bunch of deer for the chili, I can still definitely do this, Barc and I may be brewing next week sometime and I could give it to him. Hate that I won't be able to make it, but I will definitely be around to meet up soon.

Jason

Just wanted to wish all you GRABASSers a Merry Christmas. I'm heading back to PA today and might not be on the board much while there. I'm sure I'll have plenty to catch up on once I get back! Looking forward to getting together next month. By the sounds of things it's gonna be a good time! Take care and have a great holiday! Cheers!

I was going to get in on jmp's brew to add an extra 5 Gallons. Anyone else have some room for another 5G? I can bring a Keggle if it will help get me in on someone else's brew (don't think I can haul my whole rig over there)

Someone may have room for an extra 5 gallons you could go in on. If not, it'll be a fun time just having you there.

Sorry to hear you can make it, Jason. That's a bummer. Don't worry about the venison. I'll make the chili with beef. We'll catch you and your deer meat the next time.

For Anson.... All kettles are reserved at this point.

However, if can bring your own kettle, I've got a 2nd propane burner you can use. I was going to use that burner for the chili, but I can just make the chili indoors on the stove.

Once I vacate my mash tun, you would be welcome to use that, too, and there will be a mill, scale, sanitizers, chillers, etc,etc already here. So, all you would REALLY need to bring is your kettle and ingredients.

I know this has been HARD getting all this setup and then coordinating, planning, and, probably most importantly, hosting this shin-dig. So, in that regard:

THANKS WALKER!

You da man!

Does anyone have a good cornbread recipe they like? I've got one that's OLD, as in, pioneer old. And I can make a good sourdough cornbread. And, of course, there's always Jiffy cornbread that I've got planned to bring.

Oh, what about desserts? SWMBO is asking about that. She's worried about my girlish figure and wants to make sure it is ruined.

Merry Christmas, guys! I hope each of you have a wonderful season. Be safe and be happy.

Hey folks.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and are geared up for a good NYE.

FYI:
Our shipment from AHS is currently in Forest Park, GA, and should arrive at mi MIL's house on the 4th.

Okn this weekend I was able to get holes put in my kettle and keg so I got my ball vales and dip tubes installed today. I'm all set for saturday! Any last minute items that need attending?

What this thread needs is the word RALEIGH so it will show up in a search.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next Saturday. Happy New Year to all!

Any last minute items that need attending?

We never really finalized the food plans. I'm making chilli and Barc is handling cornbread.

We'll be rolling fairly early, so I'll make a boatload of coffee and put it in a baby mash tun looking thermos thingy.

We could probably use volunteers to bring bagels or something for munching on in the earlier hours.

FYI: I brought a fresh keg of APA up to Ohio for my vacation and it's gone. So, I will have NO homwbrew on tap... except that "ferment 446" batch that I don't like and SWMBO does.

We never really finalized the food plans. I'm making chilli and Barc is handling cornbread.

We'll be rolling fairly early, so I'll make a boatload of coffee and put it in a baby mash tun looking thermos thingy.

We could probably use volunteers to bring bagels or something for munching on in the earlier hours.

I am going to bring Buffalo Chicken dip for something to snack on. I also figured I could swing by DnD and pick up some donuts for the morning.

Hopefully I'll still have some beer to bring, but I am nervous my kegs are gettinglow and I have nothing ready to go on if they do. Maybe the robust prter will last long enough to get a growler out of it though. It does make a tasty breakfast beer!

I think I posted it earlier but I am planning on bringing a hopefully conditioned beer or 3 (an IPA and 2 porter things) I bottled about 3 weeks ago, a trial bottle of something that's still conditioning in storage (a brown), 2 chocolate stouts, and, if anyone wants, I'll bring a few trippels and a kolsch or 2. Oh, and I'll bring up a couple of kinds of cornbread...

Anyone wanna volunteer for desserts (cookies, brownies, pies, etc...)?

Looks like it will be rather cool out. I think coffee (and doughnuts) will be appreciated!

Edit: Did I see you had Irish Creme, Walker?!

I'm planning on bringing a growler of my stout, as well as a bottle or two of my Belgian Golden Strong (and I'll see what else I may have hanging around my beer cabinet). I'm down for bringing donuts, I don't mind coming early if there is room for the early shift, since the Eagles game is the night game.

You're welcome to come whenever you want, Evan. I've got motivation to get done earlier rather than later because the Bengal's game is at 4:30 that day.

FYI: There is a Dunkin Donuts right across the steet from my house, too.

Bengals will probably go further than the Pats this year, which is what's totally ****ed up. Pats can't defend a La-Z Boy recliner when it counts.

THE PACKAGES HAVE ARRIVED.

I just sorted everything out for each person, and everything is here. My only complaint is the amount of styrofoam peanuts that AHS packed everything in. (We wouldn't want the grain to be jostled too much before we CRUSH it, would we?)

PLEASE BRING GARDEN HOSES!!!

This is something Jason was going to bring, but since he isn't coming, we'll need some hoses.

Also, I never saw an affirmative about whether anyone was going to set up another rig to replace the one that Jason isn't bringing? Aenderdonk sounded interested, but I saw no confirmation.

The garage is cleaned out and ready to roll.

FYI: we have two more folks coming by Satureday. bigdug is showing up late to meet sdome people and take away some bottles that I don't need anymore and idahoDal is stopping by to learn from us "masters" before transitions from extract to AG.

I'm making at last 5 gallons of chilli in addition to my 10 gallons of beer.

HELL, YEAH!

FYI: there will be a limited supply of biscuits and sausage gravy on Saturday morning, too. When it's gone, it's gone.

No garden hoses here... Still in storage. I should be by around 8 or so, all things going well.

Hi all, new here. I have 100-150' of hose I can bring.

I also have 2, 5 gallon all grain kits I could bring (a kinda wanna be Angry Angel with probably too much biscuit malt, and a dark cherry stout kit from NB) or I'd be happy to go in on a 10 gallon batch of anything with someone. I have just about all my gear except my MLT is missing a bulkhead at the moment, so if no one claims the other spot and I could borrow a MLT and let you guys teach me I'd be happy to bring my burner, keggle etc. and de-virginize it.

Thanks Walker!

Hi all, new here. I have 100-150' of hose I can bring.

I also have 2, 5 gallon all grain kits I could bring (a kinda wanna be Angry Angel with probably too much biscuit malt, and a dark cherry stout kit from NB) or I'd be happy to go in on a 10 gallon batch of anything with someone. I have just about all my gear except my MLT is missing a bulkhead at the moment, so if no one claims the other spot and I could borrow a MLT and let you guys teach me I'd be happy to bring my burner, keggle etc. and de-virginize it.

Thanks Walker!

If the floor space is still unclaimed in the garage, Barc and I are are planning on getting started early so my MLT should be available to use when we're finished if you'd like. Nothing fancy, just a converted 10 gal water cooler with a SS braid. I'd be more than happy to share.

Looks like this has blossomed. Sorry to have been out of touch for a while. The holidays and a rocky Windows 7 migration have kept me off the board for a while. Looking forward to this. I'm out of homebrew at the moment, but I'd be happy to bring breakfast and/or lunch items.

Chad, I'm pretty self-contained and can bring all my own gear, but is there room for everybody? If not, I'd be happy to just drop by and hang out rather than brew. Either way I'll bring the pond pump by so everybody can chill their wort without flooding your lawn.

Looking forward to it,
Chad

Chad,
I'll back out for sure to let you in. I'm coming to learn and hang out so no worries.

Also if there's any last minute stuff folks need, I work in N. Raleigh and can stop by the shop Friday if need be.

idahoDal,

I think you can still brew even with Chad coming. Here's the last update of brewing. Note: Jason won't be brewing...

- 10g barc/skee - Belgian IPAish Beer
- 10g Frink
- 10g Walker - Holy Grail Porter
- 5g Chad
- 5g Boston - Semen Pale Ale
- 5g jason - Two-Heart

Walker can correct me if I've effed up.

And airborne, eh?

Heh, the airborne thing is my main obsession. If you're bored have a look.

http://www.bigskyhg.com -- my site

http://www.freeflync.org -- the local club

There's only about 8-10 of us in the area that are active but that's more of an exposure issue than anything. We get out about every other weekend on average and of course make trips spring through fall to the mountains.

- 10g barc/skee - Belgian IPAish Beer
- 10g Frink - classified biological experiment for his PhD
- 10g Walker - Holy Grail Porter
- 5g Chad - english mild (?)
- 5g Boston - Old Peculiar
- 5g jason - Two-Heart

Walker can correct me if I've effed up.

I corrected and filled some blanks on the "what" parts above, but most of the it is correct except that Jason had to back out. Something about college being more important than brewing or some BS like that. ;)

Losing Jason freed up floorspace for another rig, which Aenderdonk expressed interest in claiming. However, I have not seen a solid confirmation about whether he's brewing or not. I'll PM/text/email him and see if he is or is not.

If anyone wants to come by tonight and drop of any equipment, that's cool with me. I'll be there cooking the chilli for tomorrow.

Also, please try to remember to bring a big bag of ice just in case we need it for chilling.

Aeonderdonk is not brewing, just coming to hang out.

Dallas: the floorspace is yours if you want it. Sounds like there are a couple of mash-tuns to borrow (mine or skee's).

Sweet! Ok here what I'm going to try.

8 lb Pilsner Malt
2.0 lb Belgian Biscuit
1.0 lb German Wheat Malt Light

1.0 oz Hallertau Tradition 60.0 min
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbruck 30.0 min
.5 oz Tettnanger 10.0 min

The recipe I'm kinda sorta following calls for a protein rest at 122 for 20 min, mash at 153 for 60 then a mash-out.

Using BeerTools, on account of the mash-out the protein rest has to be .7qt/lb in order for the main mash to be a reasonable ratio. Is this ok? The grains are ground up already so I can't change much (its just an experiment anyway) but I'll of course take any advice y'all have.

Anyway, I gotta stop at the shop on my way home tonight to pick up yeast so again if anyone needs anything just post up.

Thanks guys!

Also, Walker I have some hawg left over from my last cook in October if you want to toss that in the chilli.

Using BeerTools, on account of the mash-out the protein rest has to be .7qt/lb in order for the main mash to be a reasonable ratio. Is this ok? The grains are ground up already so I can't change much (its just an experiment anyway) but I'll of course take any advice y'all have.

Can't help you much here. I have never done a real step-mash with a protein rest.... just single temp infusion and a very late hot water addition as a mash-out. How thick is your main mash going to be (in terms of qt/lb?)

Anyway, I gotta stop at the shop on my way home tonight to pick up yeast so again if anyone needs anything just post up.

You going to American Brewmaster? I could really use about 4' of the high-temp silicone tubing. (http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_69&products_id=2425)

Also, Walker I have some hawg left over from my last cook in October if you want to toss that in the chilli.

Bring it. :rockin:

Back