GRABASS 1/9 Brewgasm (Cary, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! Any idea on how long all that water will take to heat up? OK, who paid attention in thermo?

It'll depend on the temp of the water in the barrel, but I have two 55gal barrels available to use. There is always the option of using idle IC's in ice-baths to get even better cooling with the barrel water.

EDIT: back of envelop calculation says we should be able to chill 20 gallons before the water in the barrel gets too warm. As for how LONG we would have to recirculate water, I don't know. I'm just calculating the cooling potential of 110 gallons of water in the barrel.

Delivery issue solved. I forgot about my mother-in-law, who lives around the corner and isn't going anywhere. I'll have it sent to her.

I saw your other comment before you deleted it. FUUUU-NEEE! Julie saw it, too. She's still laughing.

As for hops, I can tack anything we want onto this order. Discounts on hops don't kick in until you get 1lb.

What do we need 1lb of?

Ooooo... I didn't realize they had discounts for a lb. I PMed you with what I'd like. I can probably do with part of a lb of some of the hops in my PM; or probably any number of other hops I missed. And there is a sale on some hops by the oz so don't overlook that.

I saw Boston's comment, as well... Didn't get it but figured it was an inside joke. Or something... Then I remembered that Boston wasn't exactly "all there." Or, as we say in the South, "that boy ain't right."

I wanted to add that since I have a shipping destination, we are not rushed on the order. We can take our time and plan the order properly. Post in here what you want from AHS, I'll compile it all, and make one massive order. $7.99 shipping kicks butt.

-Walker

PS: My wife's mother is wider than she is tall. That's what prompted Boston's comment.

Just spoke with Walker.

If someone who posts after you needs the same thing, add it to a total quantity so Walker can keep a running total and we can more easily figure if we have a full sack of grain or ~10oz of hops... And try to keep the item numbers and prices in the post along with your total. Walker is being nice about this so let's make it easier on him. Mmmkay...

Barc -

20lb Premium Pilsner Malt [00598] ($1.35/lb) = $27

2lb Aromatic Malt [00630] ($1.80/lb) = $4

2oz First Gold Pellet Hops [02186] ($1.49/oz) = $3
4oz Kent Golding Pellet Hops [00486] ($1.99/oz)= $8
2oz Riwaka Pellet Hops [07040] ($1.49/oz) = $3
2oz Sterling Pellet Hops [00531] ($1.49/oz) = $3
2oz Yakima Golding Pellet Hops [00485] ($1.49/oz) = $3

Walker, if you don't mind, could you add 5oz ($10) of simcoe and 3oz ($4.50) of bramling cross pellets to the order from AHS? That would be super!

Sorry for the delayed reply. Christmas is getting the better of me. If there's room for one more rig, I'll be brewing. If not I'll hang out and drink your beer. Either way is fine with me.

I've got a pound of EKG and a pound of Tettnang in my freezer that haven't been opened yet. If anyone is brewing traditional English or German beers I'd be happy to bring some along.

Chad

total combined order thus far (adding in my own items).

If you wanted 2-row and I don't have your name below, update please!

I will buy & keep any unclaimed 2-row. I'm sure I'll use it soon enough.

GRAIN
100lbs of 2-row (25 to Frink, 25 to Boston, 25 to me, 25 unclaimed)
20lb Premium Pilsner (Barc)
2lb Aromatic (Barc)
2lb Carapils (Walker)
2lb Victory (Walker)
2lb Munich (Walker)
2lb Crystal 40 (Walker)
1lb Biscuit (Walker)
1lb Chocolate (Walker)
1lb Crystal 20 (Walker)

HOPS
(I am assuming pellets for all of these, send me a message if you want whole hops instead)
6oz Kent Golding (2 to Walker, 4 to Barc)
5oz Simcoe (Skee)
5oz Columbus (Walker)
3oz Bramling Cross (Skee)
2oz Riwaka (Barc)
2oz Sterling (Barc)
2oz Yakima Golding (Barc)
2oz First Gold (Barc)
2oz Cascade (Walker)
1oz Fuggles (Walker)
1oz Amarillo (Walker)

Barc: did you want to tack on that hydrometer flask you mentioned on the phone?

Boston: you said in email that you wanted hops. can you add them here?

Chad: I think we can squeeze in your rig. What will you be brewing, how much will you be making, and would/could you double the batch to let someone "riggyback"?

Updated the hops:

HOPS

8oz Kent Golding (2 to Walker, 6 to Barc)
5oz Simcoe (Skee)
5oz Columbus (Walker)
2oz Riwaka (Barc)
2oz Sterling (Barc)
2oz First Gold (Barc)
2oz Cascade (Walker)
1oz Fuggles (Walker)
1oz Amarillo (Walker)
2oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Barc)
2oz Styrian Goldings (Barc)
1oz Northern Brewer (Barc)

Full Order thus far:

GRAIN
(I am assuming "unmilled" for all of these, send me a message if you want yours milled)
100lbs of 2-row (25 to Frink, 25 to Boston, 25 to Walker, 25 unclaimed)
2lb Aromatic (Barc)
2lb Carapils (Walker)
2lb Victory (Walker)
2lb Munich (Walker)
2lb Crystal 40 (Walker)
1lb Biscuit (Walker)
1lb Chocolate (Walker)
1lb Crystal 20 (Walker)

HOPS
(I am assuming pellets for all of these, send me a message if you want whole hops instead)
8oz Kent Golding (2 to Walker, 6 to Barc)
5oz Simcoe (Skee)
5oz Columbus... aka Zeus... aka Tomahawk (Walker)
2oz Riwaka (Barc)
2oz Sterling (Barc)
2oz First Gold (Barc)
2oz Cascade (Walker)
1oz Fuggles (Walker)
1oz Amarillo (Walker)

EDIT: 135lb and 6oz of brewing goods, ringing up at $258.34 after shipping is applied.

FYI: I am putting a stop to additional rigs. We have 5 right now and I think 35 gallons of beer being made.

Rigs:
Walker
Boston
Frink
Skeeordye
Chad

Man I can't believe I missed this thread, I've been following the grabass community for a while but have always had conflicts with getting in on a brew, should have spoken up before walker imposed the cap. If its closed to more brewers I will still try and stop by, be nice to meet some fellow brewers, that is if the brewing is absoluteley closed!

Anyways, if anybody needs to get hooked up on some hops, I have a good bit of hallertauer, cascade, centennial and chinook. If you need any of these let me know and I can probably hook it up. Hope to meet some people soon!

Put me down for:
2 oz. Cascade
2 oz. Amarillo
2 oz. Columbian
2 oz. Simcoe
2 oz. Kent Golding
2 oz. Panama Red

jmp138, clear out your PMs...

Yup. That's exactly what I was just thinking.

Jmp; I put a cap on it because I really don't have the space to just keep setting up brewstands.

I was just out in the garage, and I can handle 5... *Maybe* 6 if the weather is good and we can set one up just outside the garage on the small amount of non-sloped driveway.

The other option is to get in on a double batch with me or perhaps Chad. I don't know if Chad can (or will want) to do a 10 gallon batch, but I did one in my system last week, so I know it's possible.

I'm really starting to worry about water consumption, I must admit.

Want us to pick up some water? Or give you a few bucks each to help with the bill? I have no problems with that! Currently on well water here so I could bring maybe 10 - 20 gallons up depending on what I have empty... Or buy some at the store.

Put me down for:
2 oz. Cascade
2 oz. Amarillo
2 oz. Columbian
2 oz. Simcoe
2 oz. Kent Golding
2 oz. Panama Red

I think we may have enough EKG to buy a full pound and break even.

The Panama Red might have to be ordered through the LHBS, though.

PM problem fixed, should really pony up for a big boy membership. I don't want to cause any added stress by throwing in one too many set ups, although I am pretty basic with just a 10 gallon cooler and a keggle.

If space just doesn't work out, let me know and I would be more than happy to throw in on a 10 gallon batch with someone, or even brew 10 gallons on my own if someone wanted to throw in. I just received ingredients for a mild ale, two hearted clone, and a light cream ale by fed ex today, so if anyone has any interest in doubling up on those.

In any case, just let me know what works, be glad to be around.

Jason

Want us to pick up some water? Or give you a few bucks each to help with the bill? I have no problems with that! Currently on well water here so I could bring maybe 10 - 20 gallons up depending on what I have empty... Or buy some at the store.

It's not the water that ends up as beer. It's the waste from chilling. I've never measured, but with my IC I'm betting I use more than 20 gallons of water to chill the 5 in the kettle. I'm sure the CFC used less, but I really did not pay much attention... The Baron was driving at that point.

If this pumping from the rain barrel doesn't pan out, we're looking at hundreds of gallons of water used to chill, all from the tap.

I think everyone should bring a big-ass bag of ice just in case. If the pump can't cut the mustard (long round trip from barrel to garage and back to barrel) we might have to fill a mashtun with ice water and pump that through chillers.

SPEAKING OF WHICH...

We are going to need to stagger the brews. We can't all be wanting to chill wort at the same time. :D

I don't want to cause any added stress by throwing in one too many set ups, although I am pretty basic with just a 10 gallon cooler and a keggle.

If space just doesn't work out, let me know and I would be more than happy to throw in on a 10 gallon batch with someone, or even brew 10 gallons on my own if someone wanted to throw in. I just received ingredients for a mild ale, two hearted clone, and a light cream ale by fed ex today, so if anyone has any interest in doubling up on those.

In any case, just let me know what works, be glad to be around.

Jason

Hmmmmmm. You got me thinking... What is everyone planning to do as far as a STAND is concerned. I used my ladders with a board across them last week. I can fit two mashtuns on that thing.

Someone could potentially put one on top of the fridge, too.

That's 3. Where are the other tuns going?

I already mentioned that we need to stagger things to avoid competition for the hose... Do we stagger brews far enough apart so that my ladder-stand can be used in two shifts?

Or do we mash at ground level and hoist tuns up as each is ready for sparge?

Anyone prefer to be on a second shift? Gives you freedom to arrive a little later, set up at leisure...

Great to see you, Jason! I don't even have a keggle nor a 10 gallon cooler so you're ahead of me, just a 10 gallon kettle and a 5 gallon cooler! I'd be glad to see another guy just show up at Walker's and drink his beer and block his cul-de-sac by parking in the street like someone did Saturday. Just bring a few homebrews to share and the rest will take care of itself. Until Boston starts mentioning his "secret" ingredient... and no, it ain't pumpkin seeds.

Sounds like things are getting a bit hairy with logistics so why don't I just hold back on bringing my rig and instead see if someone wants to man up for a ten gallon joint brewing venture. This gives us the advantage of allowing 2 people to share in the spoils, while only utilizing one rig. Just seems like things could be getting a bit much with 6 folks running seperate set ups.

Hell I'm just happy after a year of brewing to finally meet some other folks who brew, I was telling Barc that up until now it has been a fairly solitary pursuit.

On another note, if anyone is interested in some free deer burger, I just picked up forty pounds that I had processed, just shoot me a pm and I can hook you up with all the meat you want on brewday.

It's not the water that ends up as beer. It's the waste from chilling. I've never measured, but with my IC I'm betting I use more than 20 gallons of water to chill the 5 in the kettle. I'm sure the CFC used less, but I really did not pay much attention... The Baron was driving at that point.

If this pumping from the rain barrel doesn't pan out, we're looking at hundreds of gallons of water used to chill, all from the tap.

I think everyone should bring a big-ass bag of ice just in case. If the pump can't cut the mustard (long round trip from barrel to garage and back to barrel) we might have to fill a mashtun with ice water and pump that through chillers.

SPEAKING OF WHICH...

We are going to need to stagger the brews. We can't all be wanting to chill wort at the same time. :D

Skee and I are probably looking at a 90 min boil simply due to the Pilsner malt... Then, we're looking at a 10 - 20 minute "rest" time for some 0 minute hop additions so we're probably going to be last in line for the chillers. If everyone brings a bag of ice, I think we should be OK. I think the CFC probably used half as much as did the IC so, what, 10 gallons each? Times 5... We should be OK if the pump will handle it and the CFC doesn't decide to crap out. But, I like the idea of a bag of ice per person "just in case." If nothing else, we can throw it at neighbors and cops who drive by looking for "the guys making meth."

Can folks use the bar at the back of your garage for their tuns? It was pretty long, if memory serves, but only like 3' high. You should be able to get a few back there. And, in my experience, a little longer in the mash-tun won't hurt anything so long as we're not looking at hours longer. If "high-up" space is a premium, we can always do a first running, pull it out of the way and add the sparge water on the ground while the next one in line does his first running until we get back to the sparges and do them the same way. An extended sparge won't hurt anything and probably extract a point or 2 in efficiency.

+1 to all Barc said.
Worst case senario, I can set my MLT on top of my keggle and drain it into my fermenter (I'd like to measure volume in that matter anyway) then just move the tun to the ground and pour the wort into the kettle and repeat until sparge is complete. Plenty of people to help move stuff around if need be.
I would just like to thank Jason (jmp138) for my CFC courtesy of the HBT pay it forward thread, and I look forward to at the very least having a beer with him.

Can folks use the bar at the back of your garage for their tuns? It was pretty long, if memory serves, but only like 3' high. You should be able to get a few back there. And, in my experience, a little longer in the mash-tun won't hurt anything so long as we're not looking at hours longer. If "high-up" space is a premium, we can always do a first running, pull it out of the way and add the sparge water on the ground while the next one in line does his first running until we get back to the sparges and do them the same way. An extended sparge won't hurt anything and probably extract a point or 2 in efficiency.

I just went out and accessed the situation in the garage and driveway again. You are correct on a couple points, and beat me to the posting.

Here's the deal: we can do 6 rigs if the weather is good.

I am going to do my best to clear out the one side of the garage where all of my junk is piled up. We can put two boil stations along that side and two along the opposte side. The driveway has only the slightest slope at the top, so if the weather is not crappy, two more boil stations can go right outside the door on the driveway.

There is a workbench along the back-wall of the garage. It's waist-high and long enough to put 4, maybe 5 tuns on. I also have a sturdy table on the deck out back where I usually brew that could hold a couple of tuns if needed. But, if we are staggering things, then I don't think all 6 tuns will be active at the same time (which brings up the point that 2nd shifters could conceivably re-use a mash tun that has already been vacated by a 1st shifter.)

So, we have three boilers on the east and three boilers on the west and a long, low mash station at the back of the garage. There will be a good clear space in the center of the garage for people to mill about and move from place to place.

We'll have to heft the kettles w/ runnings from the back of the garage to their propane burners after mashing, but I think that shouldn't be a big deal. There will be plenty of helping hands around, and 6 gallons of wort isn't really THAT heavy, eveni n a steel keggle. If necessary, the 10-gallon batches could use the ladder-stand closer to their boil station instead of the workbench to avoid lugging 12 gallons of hot wort from the back of the garage to the front.

6 rigs is a go. jmp, if you want to claim that 6th slot, it's yours.

a couple more thoughts...

I am seriously considering buying a plate chiller right now. They are $90 from AHS.

I will not have enough homebrew to serve all you f*ckers. Please bring beer. I can hook up kegs to my CO2 if you bring beer packaged that way.

Im in, 6th station is manned for 5.5 gallons of IPA, appreciate the hospitality walker, and I do look forward to meeting skee and having a beer. Excited about a big get together!

Ill bring a keg as well, should have a honey imperial porter and a cream of three crops primed and ready to go!

Good thought on stands. I've got a catering table I can bring. It's not heat proof, so it would have to be mash tuns only, but it could probably accommodate four, possibly five.

If you haven't already placed the order, put me down for 3oz of Bramling Cross as well. I've always been curious about that hop, and it would go nicely with the Mild I'm planning.

I don't have the mash tun capacity to do a 10 gallon batch, but I do have a full keg kettle. If anyone else is planning an English Mild or Ordinary Bitter I can adapt my recipe and we could do a combined boil.

With the pump, horizontal distances shouldn't be a huge stress on the system. It's vertical push that becomes a problem. I generally use a big rectangular cooler filled with ice water to do the final (<100°) chill. I second the suggestion that everyone bring a 20lb bag of ice. My pump has an NPT/garden hose connector on the output, the part that connects to the immersion chiller. The other stretch of the run, from the output of the chiller back to the rain barrel or cooler, will be determined by the chiller output connection. Mine, for example, has a relatively short bare hose. I normally put the cooler with the pump right next to the brew stand, so it's not a problem. If we need to pump water any significant distance back to to the containment vessel, we might have to standardize on one chiller with a long (or extendable) output.

Summary:
  • Catering table can hold 4 mash tuns
  • Add 3oz Bramling Cross IF the order has not already been placed
  • Chad can NOT split 10 gallon batch unless there is another mash tun involved
  • Everyone brings 20lbs ice
  • We might need to move the rain barrel or add hose
  • Barring that, we'll need a big cooler for the pump. I can bring one if necessary.
  • I'll be brewing an English Mild or Ordinary Bitter and would be willing to adapt or adjust a recipe if someone wanted to double up on my kettle.

Did I miss anything?
Chad

Current Status of AHS Order

GRAIN

(I am assuming "unmilled" for all of these, send me a message if you want yours milled)
100lbs of 2-row (25 to Frink, 25 to Boston, 25 to Walker, 25 unclaimed)
2lb Aromatic (Barc)
2lb Carapils (Walker)
2lb Victory (Walker)
2lb Munich (Walker)
2lb Crystal 40 (Walker)
1lb Biscuit (Walker)
1lb Chocolate (Walker)
1lb Crystal 20 (Walker)

HOPS
10oz Kent Golding (2 to Walker, 6 to Barc, 2 to Boston)
7oz Simcoe (5 to Skee, 2 to Boston)
5oz Columbus/Zeus/Tomahawk (Walker)
4oz Cascade (2 to Walker, 2 to Boston)
3oz Amarillo (2 to Walker, 1 to Boston)
2oz Riwaka (Barc)
2oz Sterling (Barc)
2oz First Gold (Barc)
1oz Fuggles (Walker)

BARC: you want that hydrometer flask added?

Walker, you missed Chad's 3oz of Bramling Cross.
Which by the way Chad, were fantastic in a PM oatmeal stout I did probably a year ago. I did the recipe again AG and it wasn;t as good, so now I'm ready to do it one more time AG with the BC hops.
For beer, I'll bring at least a gallon or 2 (I have a buttload of growlers here)
We have covered ingredients, water and beer. Do we want to discuss food yet?
PS- I love this thread

Summary:
  • Catering table can hold 4 mash tuns
  • Add 3oz Bramling Cross IF the order has not already been placed
  • Everyone brings 20lbs ice
  • We might need to move the rain barrel or add hose
  • Barring that, we'll need a big cooler for the pump. I can bring one if necessary.
Did I miss anything?
Chad

• We do not need catering table. We're set there.
  • I will add your hops to the order
  • Ice is good. I like ice.
  • Billy's CFC and my IC both can have garden hoses attachments on their output ports. Billy is not brewing, but has agreed to bring his CFC. I have never actually attached anything to the output of my IC, but the connector is there.
  • Need a big cooler for the pump?! There are going to be FIVE 10-gallon mashtuns and your (apparently puny) mashtun! We can put icewater in mine. I've no issue with that.

I'll bring a growler of my stout. I'm also willing to do the second shift if you need to stagger, since it'll take me a bit longer to get to your place.

BARC: you want that hydrometer flask added?

Nope! Found out Santa has a stocking stuffer for me and it probably contains one. Good thing, too. My make-shift plastic tube the hydrometer came in just sprang a leak tonight. Thanks, though! :rockin:

I'll bring a growler of my stout. I'm also willing to do the second shift if you need to stagger, since it'll take me a bit longer to get to your place.

Hell, I'm an hour away. I plan on being there when Walker gets up. I'll be the creepy guy outside drinking at 6.

Latest posts

Back