GRABASS 1/9 Brewgasm (Cary, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I did it before, I did not do a mashout and the beer seemed to turn out fine, so I have no problems with that. Feel free to chime in on that Barc.

What I like to do is this:

1 Mash for 60-90 min with X water temp.
2 Vorlauf and do a complete drain of the tun.
3 Add in half of the sparge water @ 180-185
4 Stir mash, allow to sit for 10 mins.
5 Repeat steps 2 - 5 vorlaufing before doing the drain.

This typically nets nearly 75% efficiency with a 60-90 minute mash. If we do a 90 minute mash and do a good sparge, we should be OK. It doesn't have a true mash-out but it does get most of the sugars out. And I haven't had a problem with tannins or off flavors doing it.

Let's talk food.....

I was thinking about making a big-ass pot of chili. Sounds good for a cold day. If that agrees with everyone, maybe Jason can bring a few pounds of that ground venison and I'll use that in it. I can cook the chili on my 2nd propane burner while we're brewing and it'll be good and ready for lunch.

A pot of chili sounds good. What do you need everyone to bring? I can bring up some wild edible mushrooms if you want to throw them in assuming I can find any right now (a lot may be dormant this time of the year around here). Bowls? Spoons? Cornbread? Beans? Seasonings? Just let us know and we can all pitch in.

Bartering is awesome.

The water pump is now mine and I owe nosnhojr 5 gallons of beer. Looks like I'll be cooking up 10gal, too.

I think we are at 45gal total for the day:

- 10g barc/skee
- 10g Frink
- 10g Walker
- 5g Chad
- 5g Boston
- 5g jason

What's everyone brewing?

- 10g barc/skee - Belgian IPAish Beer
- 10g Frink
- 10g Walker - Holy Grail Porter
- 5g Chad
- 5g Boston - Semen Pale Ale
- 5g jason - Two-Heart

A pot of chili sounds good. What do you need everyone to bring? I can bring up some wild edible mushrooms if you want to throw them in assuming I can find any right now (a lot may be dormant this time of the year around here). Bowls? Spoons? Cornbread? Beans? Seasonings? Just let us know and we can all pitch in.

I'll pass on the shrooms. I'll have bad enough gas from the beer yeast and beans!

If Jason will throw in the meat, I will provide the rest of the chili ingredients.

Barc: you are on cornbread duty. You can bring it already made or cook it in the oven here that morning (SWMBO could monitor it.)

We are a domesticated family, so we have bowls and spoons already.

I'll pass on the shrooms. I'll have bad enough gas from the beer yeast and beans!

If Jason will throw in the meat, I will provide the rest of the chili ingredients.

Barc: you are on cornbread duty. You can bring it already made or cook it in the oven here that morning (SWMBO could monitor it.)

We are a domesticated family, so we have bowls and spoons already.

You have bowls AND spoons?!?!?!?! You ARE fancy!

I'll figure something out about the cornbread and let you know. I make a mean sourdough bread. Wonder if it would make a mean sourdough cornbread?!?!

What about deserts? Anyone wanna volunteer?

So I can definitely provide the deer for the chili. Walker, if you want to tell me how much you need I can bring whatever, I really have plenty.

I will be brewing the two-hearted clone that was posted by eschatz. Its in the IPA section of the recipe forums. I have a whole bunch of centennial that I'm trying to burn through, and it looked pretty solid.

Also, my chiller is kind of hobbled together, hope that I will be able to hop on someone's IC so that I don't have to drag my ridiculous beast out of the house.

So I can definitely provide the deer for the chili. Walker, if you want to tell me how much you need I can bring whatever, I really have plenty.

I will be brewing the two-hearted clone that was posted by eschatz. Its in the IPA section of the recipe forums. I have a whole bunch of centennial that I'm trying to burn through, and it looked pretty solid.

Also, my chiller is kind of hobbled together, hope that I will be able to hop on someone's IC so that I don't have to drag my ridiculous beast out of the house.

I just got a IC from a really nice guy on here that you can use. It might even look familiar!
As for food, if there aren't any objections I will bring buffalo chicken dip and tortilla chips as a snack. It's pretty good if I do say so myself. It'll probably be easier to bake it at Walkers though as long as that's cool.

jason: I'll let you know how much deer we need. when I mentioned it to my wife, her eyes lit up and she started talking about making shepherd's pie with it, too.

Skee: no problem cooking things at my house that morning.

I just may recognize a certain chiller! Great, I figured someone there would have something I could use.

If wifey wants some more meat for shepherds pie, just let me know, be happy to bring some more. Shepherds pie is some extremely tasty stuff, especially with a big ole stout.

LAST CHANCE FOR AHS ITEMS! I'm ordering in 2 hours. If you can, sanity check my order below and make sure anything you wanted is accounted for.

GRAIN
(I am assuming "unmilled" for all of these, send me a message if you want yours milled)
100lbs of 2-row (25 to Frink, 25 to Boston, 25 to Walker, 25 unclaimed)
20lb Premium Pilsner (Barc)
2lb Aromatic (Barc)
2lb Carapils (Walker)
2lb Victory (Walker)
2lb Munich (Walker)
2lb Crystal 60 (Walker)
1lb Crystal 40 (Walker)
1lb Biscuit (Walker)
1lb Crystal 20 (Walker)
1lb Red Wheat (Walker)
1lb Black Patent (Walker)

HOPS
(I am assuming pellets for all of these, send me a message if you want whole hops instead)
12oz Kent Golding (4 to Walker, 6 to Barc, 2 to Boston) Unfortunately, this one is not sold in 1lb bulk package, so we can't bump up here.
7oz Simcoe (5 to Skee, 2 to Boston)
6oz Bramling Cross (3 to Skee, 3 to Chad)
5oz Columbus/Zeus/Tomahawk (Walker)
4oz Cascade (2 to Walker, 2 to Boston)
3oz Amarillo (2 to Walker, 1 to Boston)
2oz Riwaka (Barc)
2oz Sterling (Barc)
2oz Yakima Golding (Barc)
2oz First Gold (Barc)
2oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Barc)
2oz Styrian Goldings (Barc)
2oz Fuggles (Walker)
1oz Northern Brewer (Barc)

MISC
1lb Lyle's Black Treacle (split between Boston and Walker)
#2 drilled stopper (Skee)

This will be just shy of $300 with shipping.

I pro-rated the $7.99 shipping based on the $ amount of the items each person ordered, which gives the following totals:

Walker = $137.13
Barc = $66.18
Boston = $44.63
Frink = $30.82
Skee = $15.33
Chad = $4.59

Total = $298.69.

If there is tax added (I can't remember if tax was added last time I ordered), I will pro-rate it in the same way.

Walker,
If Santa comes through with a Barley Crusher, I may stake a claim at the other 25#. Assuming of course that no one else does in the next 4 days. I would assume that based on Frink's total, it would add another $30.82 to mine as well?

Walker,
If Santa comes through with a Barley Crusher, I may stake a claim at the other 25#. Assuming of course that no one else does in the next 4 days. I would assume that based on Frink's total, it would add another $30.82 to mine as well?

Correct. $30.82 for 25lbs of 2-row.

Your mention of the mill reminds me... Boston is going to bring over his motor driven MaltMill for the brewgasm. No drills needed, mill all you want.

I am placing the order in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... 1....

Thanks for shopping with us online!
pixel_trans.gif
Your Order Has Been Processed!​

Your order has been successfully processed! Your order will typically leave our store in one to two business days and will be delivered to your door by the estimated UPS delivery time. You may track your order once UPS has received and logged the package in using the feature in My Account

Deliver To:
XXXXX XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX,
Cary, North Carolina 27518

Totals

Sub-Total: $290.70
I can wait 2 - 4 business days for my order to ship. Flat Rate : $7.99
Total: $298.69
And we're done....

All this talk of the brewgasm just got me too excited, just mashed in on a monday night batch! Not taking work too seriously this week, so figured it was a good night to devote some time to maintaining the pipeline.

Walker,

BTW: I've got no problem keeping the other 25lbs of 2-row. I bought enough specialty grains and hops in that order to make my next 6 batches of beer.

All this talk of the brewgasm just got me too excited, just mashed in on a monday night batch! Not taking work too seriously this week, so figured it was a good night to devote some time to maintaining the pipeline.

Yeah... I need to find my stride. I have not got the rhythm right and pretty much finished both conditioned batches at the same time. I am rushing along the current batch of APA and there is maybe 1 pint of porter left in the other keg. I suspect I will have 10 gallons in fermenters in January, and veyr little ready to drink.

Yeah... I need to find my stride. I have not got the rhythm right and pretty much finished both conditioned batches at the same time. I am rushing along the current batch of APA and there is maybe 1 pint of porter left in the other keg. I suspect I will have 10 gallons in fermenters in January, and veyr little ready to drink.

I will bring up a few bottles of my triple chocolate stout. It is still aging out so be gentle. I will also bring up a bottle of my tripel. I have a couple of bottles of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter I'll bring up. If I think of anything else, I will bring that, as well.

Also, I have 2 test bottles of a sorta porta and 1 test bottle of a SMaSH IPA that should be carbed. I think they are both not-too-bad so we'll see, I guess. That's about all I have going on and I plan on bottling the batches this weekend. They took a little too long to ferment out or I could bring up a bit more.

I'll be brewing a Belgian "Pale Ale" at some point in the next two weeks.

I've had to step up my game to think ahead. Buying beer really sucks alot. I just try and brew twice a month if I'm just shooting for personal consumption and it tends to keep the keezer full. I just got accepted back to college today, so tonight is a bit of a celebratory brewing event. Still drinking this damn pumpkin ale too, but it could definitely be worse!

I gotta brew 4 times between now and brewgasm to get prepped up for a big oyster roast in February, dads expecting 3 kegs, so Im brewing the triple hopped miller light clone to satisfy the BMC crowd. Real interested to see how this turns out, definitely the lightest ale I have ever brewed.

The Pilot Mtn Pale Ale at your bar isn't bad. I could see myself drinking that. If worse came to worst, you could always buy yourself a keg of that.

I have a couple of bottles of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter I'll bring up.

Man, I have 2 or 3 bottle of that in my fridge. I can't stand it. In fact, I've never had a beer from Breckenridge than I *did* like. The msall batch "471 IPA" was so bad that I had trouble convincing my throat open up and let it go down.

I made the mistake of trying to drink two of the vanilla porter, one is not bad but after that the vanilla just gets ridiculous. Just a bit sweet for my taste.

Barc, I take it you went up to city tap this weekend. Yeah the Pilot I would even say i pretty darn good. I like that they took the pale ale style and really pushed it to the limit. Theres alot of hops in that brew. I've found that most of Foothills offerings are pretty top notch. We all need to get together and head to the Flying Saucer in February when the release Sexual Chocolate. Only beer brewed in NC that ranks in beeradvocates top 100. Imperial Stout brewed using only first runnings. Good stuff!

Thanks, Walker
I will reimburse you Wednesday night at the GRABASS Christmas party.

I enjoy a Foothills People's Porter at the Hurricane's game. It's probably the best porter I've ever had.

Glad you said that Boston, we have been featuring that since about October, just perfectly roasty and a great porter.

Thanks, Walker
I will reimburse you Wednesday night at the GRABASS Christmas party.
Wat?! Christmas party!?!?! I'll have to get in on that next year. I can't fathom the drunken debauchery that will go on. Maybe I don't want to!

Barc, I take it you went up to city tap this weekend. Yeah the Pilot I would even say i pretty darn good. I like that they took the pale ale style and really pushed it to the limit. Theres alot of hops in that brew. I've found that most of Foothills offerings are pretty top notch. We all need to get together and head to the Flying Saucer in February when the release Sexual Chocolate. Only beer brewed in NC that ranks in beeradvocates top 100. Imperial Stout brewed using only first runnings. Good stuff!

So, screw you guys, I can't even give away that porter. It has taken me 4 months to drink 4. I will find a use for it. I figured someone "liked" it somewhere since they actually sell the stuff.

I think the Pilot Pale is probably a lot hoppier than some "IPAs" I have had, Harpoon springing to mind...

I'm in for the trip up to the Saucer. It has been many years since I've been. Do they still have pint-glass giveaway night?

Just had the hot break, god that still excites me every time. Racking over a cream of three crops into a keg right now.

Yeah the Pilot Mountain is definitely alot hoppier than the IPA's from Sweetwater and the like. I think one of the main factors is the fact that when we get a keg of ale from those folks, its just been kegged that day. Just shows how far freshness goes. I hope you had a battlefield bock while you were there. One of the best dark lagers I have ever had.

On a side note, is it bad form to stray from the 1/9 brewgasm on this thread. Certainly don't want to stray from the real purpose at hand. Seeing that other people brew in this area had sort of turned me into a post whore.

BTW: I've got no problem keeping the other 25lbs of 2-row. I bought enough specialty grains and hops in that order to make my next 6 batches of beer.

Well I'll have ingredients for 3 batches after christmas, not including the brewgasm, so I have enough to keep me occupied for a while. 25# of grain would just give me something to play with if I do get a mill. If you want the other 25# it's cool with me. Hopefully we can do this again in the not to distant future from our Jan. brew date.

Wat?! Christmas party!?!?! I'll have to get in on that next year. I can't fathom the drunken debauchery that will go on. Maybe I don't want to!

No actual party. Just me and Jeff freezing on the screen porch, playing guitar and bellowing songs into the chilly night.

No actual party. Just me and Jeff freezing on the screen porch, playing guitar and bellowing songs into the chilly night.

Sounds fun. Need a third? I can carry a tune in a bucket, most of the time... I'll have been cooking most of the day so I'll be ready to get out of the house.

If I can get some cash, I'll bring that up, as well. Otherwise, it'll be a check or I'll bring you the cash at Brewgasm.

Probably not worth the time to drive up here and back. I've got to wrap up work that day before vacation, and will be arriving late (possibly no arriving at all).

brewer/gallon count thus far:
  • Barc/skeeordye11 - 10g of Belgian IPAish Beer
  • Professor Frink - 10g of something very secret
  • Walker - 10g of Holy Grail
  • Chad - 5g of (not confirmed, but his comments hit at) an english mild
  • Boston - 5g of Old Peculiar
  • jmp138 - 5g of Two-Hearted Ale
Spectators include:
  • Baron von BeeGee
  • nosnhojr
Additional spectators will be gladly welcomed, especially if they bring beer.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from olllllo on this one.

This is the kind of **** he flies across the country for. ;)

Well, I got an PM for this event today and looks like I might be too late to get in on a batch. Anyone have room to double up a recipe? I've got a decent stock of grains/hops that I can bring to up a 5G batch to a 10G.

I would love to come on the 9th so just let me know the final details (looks like 8am somewhere in Cary). I can bring a couple bottles of my Nut Brown, Pumpkin Ale, some Apfelwein, and some commercial brews. Let me know if I can bring any food too.

Sorry about the late notification.

I occasionally look around for folks in the area and spam them if there is something going on. But... this particular event grew pretty rapidly, and there was enough chatter and planning going on here that I didn't have time to spam folks I didn't know yet.

I did indeed put a cap on the number of rigs for logistical reasons, so we're kind of closed to additional brewers, but new faces are definitely welcome.

I was originally going to just brew 5 gallons, but I upped it to 10 because I own nosnhojr 5gal of beer in exchange for a water pump.

Come one down and hang out, get to know the crew. There will be future brew sessions. If this one goes smoothly, I will consider hosting another one in the not too distant future.

I'll PM you my address. I'll be milling about in the garage at about 8am, and people are free to roll in throughout the morning and get started. I think we'll have a several people there by 9am.

• Professor Frink - 10g of something very secret
Oh, he's not so special. We have the secret ingredient that will revolutionize homebrewing and take us pro... It is so secret, I haven't even told Skee about it yet. I bet NO ONE has EVER brewed with it!

Oh, he's not so special. We have the secret ingredient that will revolutionize homebrewing and take us pro... It is so secret, I haven't even told Skee about it yet. I bet NO ONE has EVER brewed with it!

If it's semen & pubic hair it's been done

Back