Got some wild yeast...what now??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I finally started my wild yeast capture project. I started with three mason jars with some 1.020 wort, no hops. I put blooms/buds from two different plants and one tree in my yard.

Two of them definitely have activity and got a slight bit of krausen. I "pitched" about 6 days ago.

Jar 1: Does not smell great. It's not make-you-vomit bad, but it doesn't smell great. However, my old lady picked up some "yeasty" smell and I agree. I'm wondering if I should let this sit a little longer. And see if it gets better.

Jar 2: Never saw any krausen IIRC, it's showing what I believe is some black mold, so this one is a dumper.

Jar 3: I'm most excited about this one. It has a definite, without a doubt, lacto nose to it. Had slight krausen, which looks to be dropping now. And I can see some particulate in the bottom of the jar, but it could just be protein break in the wort.

So I guess my question, at least for Jar 3, is what now? I want to step it up, but I'm torn on how to do it. IME, for lacto strains I don't put them on the stir plate b/c oxygen. But it might have some brett or sacc or other shiit too. So I'm torn. Also, when I am ready to step up, do I just strain out the flowers?

Let them sit a while longer. Then you can try stepping them up. Jar 2 sounds like a dumper. After you step them up, give them a good sniff to see if they smell good. Then try to crash them in the fridge. I had one wild yeast that smelled good, but after I stepped it up, it would just not drop out of suspension, so I gave up on that one. I did finally capture a great yeast almost 4 years ago and am still keeping it alive. It makes a great saison.

Here is a thread I started about capturing my yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=419725

enjoy

Let them sit a while longer. Then you can try stepping them up. Jar 2 sounds like a dumper. After you step them up, give them a good sniff to see if they smell good. Then try to crash them in the fridge. I had one wild yeast that smelled good, but after I stepped it up, it would just not drop out of suspension, so I gave up on that one. I did finally capture a great yeast almost 4 years ago and am still keeping it alive. It makes a great saison.

Here is a thread I started about capturing my yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=419725

enjoy
Thanks! Jar 3 (definite lacto nose) looks to have fermented out. So I can probably go ahead and step that one up (do I just fish out the flowers and stuff or strain it out?).

Jar 1 is still fermenting. Has definite krausen and a healthy dose of CO2 build up as I burp it at least once a day. Gonna let this one ride a bit longer.

UPDATE...

So it looks like Jar 3 (definite lacto) has finished out. So I'll probably step it up this weekend hopefully.

Jar 1 has gotten better! It's still fermenting and I'm burping the jar about once a day. The off/rotten aroma is gone. Now it's got a definite vinegar nose to it. So I'm now more hopeful for this one since it's changing fairly rapidly.

How do I get the flora out of the wort to step it up? Should I just strain it through a sanitized colander?

Back