Got some diluted Iodophor in my mouth, should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4k4

Reaction score
Was starting a siphon to get some diluted iodophor flowing through my siphon tubing and racking cane.

Stupidly I got the siphon started by mouth (I know that's not the proper way to do it) and ended up of course with some of the solution in my mouth.

Dont think I swallowed any, and got some water after. Should I be concerned at all? I'm pretty sure I diluted properly, though It may have been a bit stronger than usual

If there's a nuclear blast in the next few hours you'll be one of the survivors.
Remember, no rinse sanitizers at proper dillution are safe for ingestion, that's why we don't have to rinse them. ;)

If theroe's a nuclear blast in the next few hours you'll be one of the survivors.
Remember, no rinse sanitizers at proper dillution are safe for ingestion, that's why we don't have to rinse them. ;)

I have this clown by me who sells iodine pills for that very reason. The FDA is not too happy with him.

I forgot to add that I choose iodophor over starsan precisely because it contains iodine. Iodine deficiency is common away from the coasts.

I forgot to add that I choose iodophor over starsan precisely because it contains iodine. Iodine deficiency is common away from the coasts.

interesting, didn't know that. though I'm near the east coast so not as much of an issue for me I suppose :)

My favorite syphon story was a guy that was going to syphon gasoline from a RV but got the hose in the waste water tank instead. He got a mouthful of that too.

Stupidly I got the siphon started by mouth (I know that's not the proper way to do it) and ended up of course with some of the solution in my mouth.

Dont think I swallowed any, and got some water after. Should I be concerned at all? I'm pretty sure I diluted properly, though It may have been a bit stronger than usual

Thats what she said! Sorry, someone had to say it..
you're fine. RDWHAHB!

I have this clown by me who sells iodine pills for that very reason. The FDA is not too happy with him.

I work in a natural food and supplement store. We have a guy who comes in occasionally and he is always preaching about the virtues of iodine in the case of nuclear war. I have never had the nerve to ask him if it will protect him from the thousands of degree heat and giant concussive shockwave...

How would the area you are in effect you iodine intake?
Salt is fortified with iodine to make up for deficiencies and we eat WAY more then the tolerable upper level set by nutritionist so if you eat any food, you will have enough iodine intake. But either way if it sanitizes, use what you want.

How would the area you are in effect you iodine intake?
Salt is fortified with iodine to make up for deficiencies and we eat WAY more then the tolerable upper level set by nutritionist so if you eat any food, you will have enough iodine intake. But either way if it sanitizes, use what you want.

Iodine is abundant in saltwater foods, but rare inland.

Many people don't use iodized salt in cooking (I rarely do). The amount of iodine in salt is actually not enough if you don't get it from seafood. The DV is also questionable low.

I use Iodophor for some of the same reasons. I know it's got a lot of color to it and can stain some equipment, but at the end of the day it's main ingredient is iodine, not sure what's in the other stuff.

Back