Got lazy with my cleaning...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Okay... before you roast me, understand that I started grad school a couple months ago, so my time has been pretty well dedicated to reading articles and writing papers.

Long story short, I threw about five gallons of hot water with PBW IN solution into my bottling bucket and tossed in some equipment (racking cane, some tubing, spigot, and some O-rings).

It's been sitting for a couple months out in my garage. Minimal evaporation.

Am I good with a solid hot rinse, or am I looking at needing to buy new stuff?

Thanks!

i'm concerned about rubber parts like o-rings. Check them if they're in good condition.

@tr08 - Thanks! Will do! What about silicone tubing? I'm cleaning out my fermentor fridge right now, so I have a few spare gallons of PBW solution to spare for clean-up. Think I could get away with giving my tubing a good soak and hot rinse?

Are you sure it is silicone tubing? The clear tubing that comes with a racking cane is usually vinyl tubing. If it is silicon tubing it is safe to run boiling/very hot PBW through it and get it clean for sure. For the vinyl tubing you can't heat it much without problems but you can inspect it visually. Any doubt about tubing that is in contact with wort or beer from the time the wort is chilled forward is not worth the risk IMO. Just replace that stuff if in question.

@eric19312 - Agreed on toss when in doubt, but I'm 100% certain this is silicone tubing.

Thanks all for the advice so far. I'll snag some new O-rings at the LHBS and do a solid hot rinse on the rest of the equipment.

Any other advice is appreciated and will be well received!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back