Good use for an old RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of ways to dry hop sans 02. This was what I came up with.
IMG_4553.JPG

Drop the hops in the tube. Flush with Co2. Cap the top. Open the butterfly valve. Close valve. Remove tube.

First attempt resulted in an oz of Citra cannon blasting all over the garage. Can’t forget to remove the cap while purging. Second attempt was a success. We’ll see if it makes a difference.

Not bad... I like it. I can even picture the hop pellet potato cannon that resulted on the first attempt.

if you have another valve handy it may make sense to put it at the top and close it while flushing with co2. I picture putting that cap on is a clumsy way todo try and keep o2 out. Also, no risk of ingress o2 when dumping it if the cap isn't 100% sealed. This is very similar to a way a brewery does it by me... they have a 4" tri-clamp /w valve on the top of the FVs.

Yeah that’s pretty cool! Maybe you could get a blank tri clover cap and have it drilled and tapped to fit a pressure relief valve from a corny... or just keep doing what your doing.

Back