GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been watching The Mad Max trilogy with the kid since she hasn't seen it yet and of course because the next movie is coming out soon and it looks AWESOME! I *Think* it's supposed to happen between the first and second movie (Since the Last of the V8 Interceptors was demolished in a roll-over and explosion in the second movie, and it's BACK in the 4th movie...)

Downloading Thunderdome now. Netflix really needs to start hosting all 3 of the originals...

Read the words:

I'm not saying that that Breaking Bad > Tru Blood/Sopranos, or really taking any stance, other than saying Cheezy's comment hardly came out of left field.

Schemy posited the notion that HBO shows had better production values than AMC shows. Cheezy responded with his opinion about AMC's production values, even if it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

But how is comparing "Breaking Bad vs. HBO" in any way "crazy" or "nonsense" given the context? Breaking Bad is an AMC show. It is (arguably) better than some HBO show, thus the argument is contradicting something Schemy said. Hardly seems like nonsense.

If you are going to quote it to stake your argument, quote the entire post. I should have stated Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels, but I assumed that was implied given then rest of the post was specifically about that. But, hey use it to suit whatever argument you'd like.

Ok, not sure the relevance in a discussion comparing Deadwood vs Hell On Wheels, but thanks for interjecting.

Well, considering it was a direct reply to THIS v

IMO Deadwood is better as I would say it feels more accurate. Hell on Wheels to me has a more engaging story, expansion west vs dealings of one western town. I like them both as I am a fan of anything from that time period. Also HBO vs AMC production value. HBO wins out.

Did you seriously forget making this statement?

I am totally baffled why these comparisons are even being made to begin with.

Schemy was making a very specific comparison of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels and somehow you crazy people are extrapolating that to Breaking Bad vs. HBO or some nonsense.

See it now? No? Didn't think so! Sorry we are so CRAZY! Thanks for playing.

Well, considering it was a direct reply to THIS v

Did you seriously forget making this statement?

See it now? No? Didn't think so! Sorry we are so CRAZY! Thanks for playing.

Didn't forget, just thought it was implied to those specific shows. And in the case of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels, I stand by the statement.

Didn't forget, just thought it was implied to those specific shows. And in the case of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels, I stand by the statement.

I will give you HoW vs DW

The word "Also," seemed to make the following statement "AMC vs HBO etc...." a broad and sweeping statement.

I meant no argument, I just took offense to the seeming "HBO is always better" statement that I thought you were making.

No worries my friend!

:mug:

Easy guys. It's not a big deal. At the end of the day if we want to draw parallels with Smurfs and The Sopranos, they're both streamed on Netflix/Amazon... That should be our right. After all, Gargamel was a pretty good representation of "The Man."

but I assumed that was implied given then rest of the post was specifically about that. But, hey use it to suit whatever argument you'd like.

You implied that Deadwood was better than HoW because Deadwood is HBO and HoW is AMC, and HBO has better production values than AMC. Just because you were using the comparison to talk about Deadwood/HoW doesn't negate the broad statements you made about production values of HBO and AMC respectively.

I'm not taking this out of context or trying to twist your words. I don't even disagree with your statement. I'm just saying that in the context of your post, Cheezy's post wasn't something out of the great blue yonder. You act like he just randomly interjected with a long rambling diatribe about his preference for dog scrotums over hooker spit as a pizza topping. :p

Anywho, I'll drop it now. I suppose I'm silly for even arguing the point in the first place. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :mug:

I'm out of Scrubs episodes to watch, and quite sad about it.

Actually I think he explicitly stated he liked HoW's story and what he felt was realism better... But he felt the HBO one had better production value. This seems pretty likely anyway in my eyes as their (AMC) first couple series (Breaking Bad and Mad Men (Sony and ???)) were done by other studios. The Walking Dead is a purely AMC vehicle. Pretty sure HoW was as well. As such, they're still kind of learning.

Glad I wasn't the only one HunterLa5, but he is saying that what he typed was not what he meant.

OK! Back OT.

Ever since the southpark episode, implying that manatees were writing Family Guy, I can't unsee it. I can't even watch Family Guy. Meanwhile southpark still seems to SHOCK hilariously every single god damned episode.

I enjoy South Park more than Family Guy personally. It's not that the offensiveness is disparate, but I guess it's easier to stomach the way they present it in South Park as opposed to Family Guy to me personally. There are admittedly some throwbacks they do on Family Guy though that are without equal and hilarious.

Also, in spite of his stupidity, foolishness, ego, and well pansy-ness... Eric Cartman is still a beast. The Chili episode is still one of the best yet simultaneously disturbing episodes ever.

IMO Deadwood is better as I would say it feels more accurate. Hell on Wheels to me has a more engaging story, expansion west vs dealings of one western town. I like them both as I am a fan of anything from that time period. Also in the case of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels, HBO vs AMC production value. HBO wins out.

I fixed my original post to help clarify exactly what I meant. Better?

Okay, I'm a g*ddamn dirty liar. :D

So does HBO have better productions values than AMC or not?

Saying "Deadwood has better production values than Hell on Wheels" is not the same as saying "HBO has better production values than AMC". Yet you keep getting frustrated when we don't interpret the former while you explicitly state the latter.

This is what I have issue with:
HBO vs AMC production value. HBO wins out.
Yet somehow Cheezy's reply is out of order?

If it's just "in the case of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels", why do you keep comparing their respective networks? :p

Okay, I'm a g*ddamn dirty liar. :D

So does HBO have better productions values than AMC or not?

Saying "Deadwood has better production values than Hell on Wheels" is not the same as saying "HBO has better production values than AMC". Yet you keep getting frustrated when we don't interpret the former while you explicitly state the latter.

This is what I have issue with:

Yet somehow Cheezy's reply is out of order?

If it's just "in the case of Deadwood vs Hell on Wheels", why do you keep comparing their respective networks? :p
***Dead Horse*** + ***Stick*** = Hours of fun....

It would make sense for HBO's production value to generally be better than AMC's (regardless of show) due to experience. They also tend to spend a bit more per episode but they keep more of it from the cutting room floor. Remember, AMC is still new to the game. That doesn't mean their product is crap... And you can have superior story, quirks, and things thrown in for the fans and have crappy production value. Take earlier conversations for example... Evil Dead is still pretty popular in spite of it being like three decades old and being done in clay-mation. I would claim Tucker&DaleVSEvil is low production too... it doesn't change that fact that it has quite a following here. Dead Alive wasn't the best produced Jackson film ever made, but I'd wager it's probably more than a few people's favorite film from Jackson.

***Dead Horse*** + ***Stick*** = Hours of fun....

It would make sense for HBO's production value to generally be better than AMC's (regardless of show) due to experience. They also tend to spend a bit more per episode but they keep more of it from the cutting room floor. Remember, AMC is still new to the game. That doesn't mean their product is crap... And you can have superior story, quirks, and things thrown in for the fans and have crappy production value. Take earlier conversations for example... Evil Dead is still pretty popular in spite of it being like three decades old and being done in clay-mation. I would claim Tucker&DaleVSEvil is low production too... it doesn't change that fact that it has quite a following here. Dead Alive wasn't the best produced Jackson film ever made, but I'd wager it's probably more than a few people's favorite film from Jackson.

Leave Artax outta this. (BA dum dum)

THIS^ *And please hear me....Schemmy, Hunterla5, Accidic. You are all very cool people on here. I am not beating the Artax, I think there is a valid discussion to be had....*

Value Definition 1

If VALUE means quality of recording equipment, Gross salaries paid to actors and directors, cost of locations, "spared no expense" type stuff, then YES, HBO spends more/has more "Value"....

Value Definition 2

If MEGA PAY CHANNEL A has a huge budget and makes a show with a CHEEZYDEMON STRATIFICATIONARY EXTRAPOLATORY INDEX SCORE (hereafter CSEI) of 65

AND

Medium Cable Network Channel B makes a better show (CSEI of 93), on a shoestring budget...(lesser name actors, less paid director, etc.)

Which one had better production VALUE?

To me, it looks like B got more bang for their buck, or VALUE.

Maybe Schemy meant Production Quality........but I would have given him crap the for that too, lol.

:mug:

Honestly I have a chip on my shoulder.

AMC came oughtta NOWHERE and did things no one thought they could. Does this make them Better than HBO?

They are kinda apples and oranges, but if we are JUST talking shows, do we include Band of Brothers?

In the end, Channels pick shows. They have to be smart and lucky to get a high percentage of GOOD shows. Then they have to have "Good enough" Production. They can't make The walking dead with a camcorder and a highschool drama class. To Schemmy's point (if I may) there has to be at least a certain level of production "value" and higher "value" doesn't hurt.;)

Netflix has a had a stinker or 2 , but they are KILLLING it as far as I am concerned.

@Cheezy, You're trying to treat "Production Value" as if it meant 'bang for the buck.' *Production Value* refers to the the mishmash of items used to create the final result (at the artistic/quality level).

Oh, and AMC didn't so much come out of left field, they decided that's what they wanted, found a company to make it so on their behalf, and pulled out their checkbooks. That's why Netflix is getting better and better (Amazon ISN'T there yet.). HBO is well practiced so it's not exactly a fair playing field admittedly, but I'd go so far as to say the story quality on the other vehicles is frequently better elsewhere than HBO whereas they (HBO and some of the other premium pay channels) depend on titillating material and lack of censorship to get viewership. That of course doesn't mean they don't occasionally have good writing. We're enjoying Deadwood presently and it's so very NOT my type of show.

@Cheezy, You're trying to treat "Production Value" as if it meant 'bang for the buck.' *Production Value* refers to the the mishmash of items used to create the final result (at the artistic/quality level).

Oh, and AMC didn't so much come out of left field, they decided that's what they wanted, found a company to make it so on their behalf, and pulled out their checkbooks. That's why Netflix is getting better and better (Amazon ISN'T there yet.). HBO is well practiced so it's not exactly a fair playing field admittedly, but I'd go so far as to say the story quality on the other vehicles is frequently better elsewhere than HBO whereas they (HBO and some of the other premium pay channels) depend on titillating material and lack of censorship to get viewership. That of course doesn't mean they don't occasionally have good writing. We're enjoying Deadwood presently and it's so very NOT my type of show.

That was just one of the options. The other I cited was the mish mash of equipment and well paid staff.

Boardwalk Empire is pretty darned good and Band of Brothers is AMAZING.

Again though, I will ask: If HBO (or anyone for that matter) makes a show with the highest paid staff ever, and the highest quality equipment ever, that produces a horrible show, did they really have "High Production Value"?

If so, they should change that word.

It could have good production value but be just god awful. Having a good cast (not to mention a high paid one) doesn't guarantee a hit of course. I think the confusing part is kind of the same principle as Inflammable and Flammable which mean the exact same thing even though most people assume Inflammable means that it won't burn. The words "Production Value" if taken at face value imply that bang for the buck thing but in reality it's more the spit and polish that makes it clean.

Good recent movie examples might be something like Noah for example. Great actors, nice production value, but your left going... WHAT THE BLOODY @#$%??? Or perhaps Hercules might be a better example sidestepping the faith issues.

All I meant was that I thought the HBO show (Deadwood) was better than the AMC show (Hell on Wheels), even though I enjoyed/enjoy both shows. It was solely meant as a comparison of these two shows, not as an indictment of AMC's productions. I didn't mean to turn this into a huge deal. Artax is dead, let him stay that way.

All I meant was that I thought the HBO show (Deadwood) was better than the AMC show (Hell on Wheels), even though I enjoyed/enjoy both shows. It was solely meant as a comparison of these two shows, not as an indictment of AMC's productions. I didn't mean to turn this into a huge deal. Artax is dead, let him stay that way.

We are OK Brother!! I wanted an education on what the word meant. That is the only reason we are still discussing it.

Sounds like you were right actually.

HBO has a bigger budget. They have higher paid talent that makes great shows like Boardwalk Empire, and Higher paid morons that make shows like Tru Blood.

I have been going back through the X-Files, having started again from the first episode. I am now in season 3 and have come across an episode featuring Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black (playing teenage nerdy slackers) as supporting characters. They look so young!

Close enough. Either way great show. I think Hulu has actually gotten better than Netflix.

Totally close enough. Aside from adverts, I have to agree mostly.

I just started watching Haven on netflix. It's okay right now at 2 am. :)

Latest posts

Back