GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Roku and it's pretty sweet. Just had issues navigating my menu on amazon. Anyone have this problem? Super slow, push the down or side arrows and it just slowly shifts its way there

Never had that trouble on mine. The interface sucks compared to Netflix, but doesn't seem slow.

On Vudu, I ocassionally have to re-boot the roku to free up space for better performance, but never on amazon.

Never had that trouble on mine. The interface sucks compared to Netflix, but doesn't seem slow.

On Vudu, I ocassionally have to re-boot the roku to free up space for better performance, but never on amazon.

*EDIT* Their new interface seems good.

Which version do you have? I have heard the older ones are pretty slow.

I have had mine 2 years or so. What is considered old?

Not sure what version but the interface seems good. It's not malfunctioning anymore either. Not sure what was going on with it...

I've been going back through the X Files recently. Almost at the end of season 1. In my opinion, the best ones of the first season are "Squeeze" and "Tooms"...they don't fit the alien conspiracy storyline which drives the series, but instead are the early examples of their Monster of the Week episodes.

I've been going back through the X Files recently. Almost at the end of season 1. In my opinion, the best ones of the first season are "Squeeze" and "Tooms"...they don't fit the alien conspiracy storyline which drives the series, but instead are the early examples of their Monster of the Week episodes.

Ugh, I couldn't stomach most of the MotW episodes. Some were good, but a lot were just too damn cheesy. I ended up just skipping most of those episodes and only watching the "alien conspiracy story arc" episodes. Made for a much better (albeit shorter) series, at least for me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hemlock Grove first episode was lame, but it quickly got better.

GET THIS:.............it really started to get good when THE CAST OF BATTLESTAR GALACTICA GOT TOGETHER!!!!!!!
(and by "cast" I mean 2 people from that show ;))

It really did get good!

I got the Roku and it's pretty sweet. Just had issues navigating my menu on amazon. Anyone have this problem? Super slow, push the down or side arrows and it just slowly shifts its way there

Bleh, I ditched all those. I have a streambox if I need anything in a pinch but I find myself gravitating back towards the Amazon FireTV box I got for $20 when it was on sale making it harder and harder to have patience to screw with those other boxes.

Has anyone watched Hemlock Grove?

Yes.

Hemlock Grove first episode was lame, but it quickly got better.

It was slow going at first but got more interesting (albeit silly at times) as it went on for the first season. The >twist< at the end of the first season wasn't really that much of a twist as you can see it coming for more than a few episodes. The second season was interesting for a bit although I don't think on the same level as the first. It felt like they were unsure how they wanted it to play out. Then by the end of the season it got EXTREMELY weird. The twist at the end of that I kind of saw coming then the slap across the face from left field charged it's happy @#$ in and said how the heck are you. Seriously, outside of a parallel from WoW I honestly couldn't think of what the last thing was.

Also as far as the "best actor" bleh bleh, I think it depends on your age. I can watch some of the JW's stuff but it isn't my favorite. I don't really enjoy the HB things at all though.

It was slow going at first but got more interesting (albeit silly at times) as it went on for the first season. The >twist< at the end of the first season wasn't really that much of a twist as you can see it coming for more than a few episodes. The second season was interesting for a bit although I don't think on the same level as the first. It felt like they were unsure how they wanted it to play out. Then by the end of the season it got EXTREMELY weird. The twist at the end of that I kind of saw coming then the slap across the face from left field charged it's happy @#$ in and said how the heck are you. Seriously, outside of a parallel from WoW I honestly couldn't think of what the last thing was.

Thanks! I guess I was looking for TRU BLOOD minus the silly. Not even close, but I like it!

The "Werewolf" change and the wolf itself were refreshing and original. Hell the change from man to beast is by far the best one I have ever seen!

Thanks for the heads up!

We watched True Blood also, recently in fact. It merely seemed like a more profane and sex filled Twilight. If it weren't for the primary character it might even have hope to be outright good. Her parts are downright painful to watch at times. But I suppose since the books were written with her as the primary, it wouldn't have made sense not to have her. If nothing else, HBO seemed to have progressed to actual cliffhangers rather than the their earlier examples like Deadwood.

Watched an episode of SCRUBS last night with the kid. She is on Season 8, and looking to finish it and start on Friends. I couldn't watch Friends, but she is geeked because everyone told her it was a great show. I guess I didn't get the whole young people living in NY angle. I did like Jennifer Aniston's character though...

Caught a few episodes of Neil Patrick Harris's Puppet Dreams from Funny or Die. Youtube videos.

We watched True Blood also, recently in fact. It merely seemed like a more profane and sex filled Twilight. If it weren't for the primary character it might even have hope to be outright good. Her parts are downright painful to watch at times. But I suppose since the books were written with her as the primary, it wouldn't have made sense not to have her. If nothing else, HBO seemed to have progressed to actual cliffhangers rather than the their earlier examples like Deadwood.

While Tru Blood and twilight are unwatchable, Hemlock Grove has some outstanding moments. Moments where you are like "Holy f**K.......this is a REEEEALY good show!" followed by moments of unforgiveably awkward and nonsensical dialogue between Roman and Dog boy.....WTF?????????

How can parts have such production value and star power, while some parts are clearly written directed by the key grip while the director, producer, editor and costume designer go to a 3 hour lunch???
Still watching though.

Oh, never fear... Hemlock Grove certainly has those *unwatchable* moments as well. True Blood was better if you watched it while soused in liquor. Just clench up for the Suckie moments and it makes the show bearable. ;) I actually even kind of like the night club Vamp guy.

The wife loved Friends. I kinda like Joey. A couple of the rest were tolerable. And the character Ross made me want to stomp small animals to death and punch people. And Rachel's character was a blithering gd idiot. Haven't tried Scrubs yet but have been tempted at times. It's at least a massive collection of options.

At the risk of possibly repeating myself, we also kind of enjoyed Burn Notice but you have to overlook the fact that every single episode is 99% predictable. But it did make my wife like Bruce Campbell so I'm not sure how many more pluses it needs. We also did Bones (primarily due to Volume, not quality) and found it a fantastic way to be put to sleep or at least near sleep by it's end each night until you run out of episodes at least.

There is no redundency here Accidic.

So much info passes by, sometimes I don't register something until it has been mentioned 3-4 times.

The trick with Tru Blood is to watch it with the sound off.

This actually makes some sense.

If Tru Blood actually happened, people in states where there were typically no vampires would greet strangers with a shotgun and some holy water.

The premise is so effing silly, I just can't handle it.

True Blood is compromise show with the wife. It's not near as terrible as cheezy's smearings suggest (to me at least). Although I wouldn't watch it without the wife. Nice titties every episode. Some absolutely great characters in the show like Jason Stackhouse and Andy Bellefleur. Not sure why you guys are leaving the 'e' off of 'true' but whatever, we all weird in here.

I just watched the movie "Lawless" the other night and I thought it was one the best movies I have seen on Netflix in a while.

True Blood is compromise show with the wife. It's not near as terrible as cheezy's smearings suggest (to me at least). Although I wouldn't watch it without the wife. Nice titties every episode. Some absolutely great characters in the show like Jason Stackhouse and Andy Bellefleur. Not sure why you guys are leaving the 'e' off of 'true' but whatever, we all weird in here.

I thought it was like Blu-Ray...

I am not sure my wife would like the show. She is a fan of netflix-able series, so I imagine she's caught an ep or two. I haven't heard her mention it.

We have been foregoing the Breaking Bad series simply because EVERYONE says it's so awesome and addictive. All we need is something to interrupt our getting things done time.

Battlestar Galactica is every bit as addicting as Breaking Bad.

Walt's singular awesomeness of portrayal is not better than Admiral Adama, but takes up a higher percentage of the screen time.....giving BB a slight edge over BSG, but I am hard pressed to say that one is better than another.

That said, 9 times out of 10 I will prefer sci fi over realism.

They probably truncated it absentmindedly because I think that's how it's written on the blood substitute stuff in the show.

As for the other point, there are plenty of examples of how easy it is to lead people to believe one way or another out there everyday that common sense would lead them against believing. I don't find it that hard to swallow (most people are idiots) that after pushing the PR long enough there would be people who were more accepting. Admittedly it wouldn't likely be that fast of course but it's not the hardest to believe thing I've seen in any show or movie. I have to admit though... While I was fine with Shapeshifters and Werewolves and their distinction, the "Faery" occurrence was almost too much for me, I must admit. Honestly, having made it through both, I would probably rate TB about the same as HG.

Admiral Adama makes splashing your face with cold water seem amazingly cool. But don't forget to drape a towel over your shoulders

I would NOT mess with that guy.

I can't hear the rain without instinctively wanting to find a gun and bring in the neighbor's cat.
Thanks Admiral :cool:

What do you hear Starbuck?

They probably truncated it absentmindedly because I think that's how it's written on the blood substitute stuff in the show.

Thats IT!!!! I never looked back, never watched another minute. Finished episode 1 and hit HOME on the Roku. Never saw the title in print again, so the **** on the stoooopid can is the last printed spelling I saw.

As for the other point, there are plenty of examples of how easy it is to lead people to believe one way or another out there everyday that common sense would lead them against believing. I don't find it that hard to swallow (most people are idiots) that after pushing the PR long enough there would be people who were more accepting. Admittedly it wouldn't likely be that fast of course but it's not the hardest to believe thing I've seen in any show or movie. I have to admit though... While I was fine with Shapeshifters and Werewolves and their distinction, the "Faery" occurrence was almost too much for me, I must admit. Honestly, having made it through both, I would probably rate TB about the same as HG.

While you have a point, (extreme right or leftists will believe anything) this is DEATH we are talking about. A creatuture that drinks your blood...Especially in small towns, there would be vampire hunts and people put to death for being vampires who were not. Witch hunts if you will.

Regardless, the show sucks.

CRAP. I like you and value your opinion. Should I quit Hemlock Grove now?

yesterday I finally watched This Is England on NetFlix. I've been avoiding that movie for quite a while now just because of the subculture hype. it's decent, not worth the tons of praise I'd heard.

If you like baseball..."The Battered Bastards of Baseball" was awesome. Great story

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but all three seasons of an Idiot Abroad are on Netflix. I had seen a few episodes on tv before but when I started watching it on Netflix I got hooked. I wish they were still making new episodes.

City of God was excellent. Ran a bit long considering the story, but a must see in my always correct opinion.

Lawless was fantastic!

Lawless was fantastic.

Didn't know quite how to feel about him, but it was good to see that the ****** from the TRANSFORMERS tragedy can actually act in a serious movie.

The big brother was fantastic as well.

Latest posts

Back