Good morning from VA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhanley

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Thought I'd finally get around to the intro. My name's Vic and though I'm originally from San Clemente, CA after the military my family and I have relocated to the Fort Belvoir VA area. I'm former Army and now combat train soldiers and marines for the US military.

Have been wanting to brew my own beer for quite a while and thanks to a brew kit given to me by the wife for my birthday have finally gotten around to brewing my first Irish stout and it came out GREAT!

Looking forward to many more and have appreciated all of the advice I've gotten from everyone on this site!

:ban: <== because.....who doesn't like a dancing banana?!

Greetings from Arlington, Vic! Welcome to the obsession. Glad to hear your first kit came out well. HBT here is a really great resource (as you'll see) and there are a lot of folks on here who are open, friendly, and more than willing to give their 2 cents on anything you have questions about. Everyone learns from everyone else here.

I've only been brewing for about 6 months (GF got me a Brewer's Best kit for my b-day), but it's really been transformative and addicting. It's kinda like a really tasty kind of science. The fun part is that you can get as shallow or as deep into it as you want; some people are simply happy with making stuff that actually tastes like beer, while others can explain to you why the beta-amylase enzymes have higher utilization rates at a specific temperature, or why calcium carbonate can be good for your brewing water. There are a lot of old-timers and a lot of newbies here.

Keep reading these forums (there are several widely-respected books out there too), keep an open, inquisitive mind, and have fun with it. Remember, the whole point of this is to have fun.

The most important thing to remember:

"Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew." (on the HBT threads, RDWHAHB)
-Charlie Papazian

Cheers! :mug:

Back