Good deal on IPA kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
If you haven't seen NB has IPA kits on sale for $19.99 if you buy 3. There are 6 different ones to choose from. The kits are for extract, but if you call they will substitute AG.

I did a chat with them online yesterday and was told that you cannot substitute AG for the extract. If this can happen it is a hell of deal!

Edit: Just tried again and this was the response that I received!
"That won't work with the promo online but if you give us a call at 1-800-681-2739 to place the order we can do that for you."

I've asked in the past with them and they told me they will have a deal for AG kits later on, which they did but a different promotion.

I did a chat with them online yesterday and was told that you cannot substitute AG for the extract. If this can happen it is a hell of deal!

"That won't work with the promo online but if you give us a call at 1-800-681-2739 to place the order we can do that for you."

I asked them twice via online chat, once yesterday, then again today before calling and I got the same reply both times, "Give us a call and we can do that." I don't see why they wouldn't, as the AG kits cost less. I ended up with Dead Ringer, which I brewed twice before, Ace of Spades Black IPA, and Kama Citra. Still got the ingredients for the Chinook IPA sitting in the basement from the last order. Good thing the fermenters are empty, cause I got some IPAs to brew. :D

Just made the call and ordered Kama Citra, Chinook and Grapefruit Pulp. No questions asked about substituting AG. Gotta get this Bourbon Barrel Porter into secondary so I can get after some IPA's!! :mug:

I do AG, and buy everything in bulk, but at that price point, I said screw it, and bought 3 of the extract kits last night. The benefit for me is being able to bang out a batch some night during the week and not having to stay up late to do it.

If you sub for all grain and normally buy in bulk is it still cheaper to buy the kits for $20 plus shipping than it is just to buy the ingredients and put together the same recipe? I cant open the kit directions to see whats in it for some reason

For the 3 kits I ordered above it is 35lbs of grain, some specialty, and 16oz of hops for $67.96.
Assuming $.70/lb for bulk grain and $.87/oz for hops you are looking at $24.50 + $13.98 = $38.48 with 15lbs of grain left over. This does not account for the added cost of specialty grains.

So to answer the question, no its still cheaper in bulk but when you figure its just over $10/case for beer with this special...that's still a pretty good deal

I brew AG but my buddy and I went in on it. Ordered 4 kits, 2 each, split the shipping and we got each kit for $22. Nice. I figured I can knock these when time is at a premium.

Ordered some yesterday. Got the Grapefruit Pulpin, Kama Citra, and Ace of Spades. Great deal for us extract brewers.

Damn I wish I was in a spot to order some of these kits in AG!! I already have over 8 pounds of hops and a bunch of bulk grains waiting to be brewed for future planned batches.

Got the Dead Ringer, Ace of Spades and Grapefruit Pulpin. Seems we burn through more ipa than other styles of beer so this is perfect.

So was anyone able to actually buy the kits in AG? I asked and was refused...got a whole schpeal about production of the AG kits, etc. was told they do at least two AG sales per year...I know I stocked up on the last one! Anyway, I ordered the extract kits for quick brews, just curious on the AG option.

I stopped using kits years ago. I do like NB because they publish the recipes online. I often look at the kit's instructions and use them for reference for making my recipes.

I haven't used NB for a while but they are one of my favorite online stores.

:mug:

I saw that promo and considered pulling the trigger, but in the last month I've brewed AIH's 2-Hearted clone, NB's extract Oktoberfest that was $5 off, a pale ale I made with homegrown hops and, as I'm typing this, I am chilling NB's Smashing Pumpkin ale with added 6-row and canned pumpkin. Plus, I still have a Brewer's Best cider kit and NB Caribou Slobber all-grain ingredients at home. I just couldn't justify it - even at that killer price point. Dead Ringer, Kama Citra, Ace of Spades and Grapefruit Pulpin' are all great kits - enjoy guys!

So was anyone able to actually buy the kits in AG? I asked and was refused...got a whole schpeal about production of the AG kits, etc. was told they do at least two AG sales per year...I know I stocked up on the last one! Anyway, I ordered the extract kits for quick brews, just curious on the AG option.

I had no problem at all, just had to call and do a phone order. I don't see why they wouldn't, the AG kits are regularly priced lower than the extract. Will be here tomorrow. :mug:

They basically told me they can't keep up with the production of the AG. Apparently, they mill and package the grains to order. When they do an AG sale, they pre package a bunch of grains to have them ready to go so they don't bog down production. Sounds like I got the wrong guy on the phone!

For the 3 kits I ordered above it is 35lbs of grain, some specialty, and 16oz of hops for $67.96.
Assuming $.70/lb for bulk grain and $.87/oz for hops you are looking at $24.50 + $13.98 = $38.48 with 15lbs of grain left over. This does not account for the added cost of specialty grains.
So to answer the question, no its still cheaper in bulk but when you figure its just over $10/case for beer with this special...that's still a pretty good deal
where are you getting hops for .87 an oz? LHBS starts around 2.75-3/oz and goes up from there depending on the hop.

It will be at my house on Friday. I grabbed dead ringer, the black ipa, and the Chinook one.

I called twice; first time I called and was expecting a 'no' and I didn't have my card on me (idiot move), so I called back an hour later and ordered it. :)

the guy just said it would take a couple of extra days to get the grain all put together and milled since the sale is mainly for extract. had I known this sale was going to come up, I wouldn't have just brewed an ipa. oh well, no such thing as too much ipa! :tank:

where are you getting hops for .87 an oz? LHBS starts around 2.75-3/oz and goes up from there depending on the hop.

Just doing quick math and making assumptions...as I noted. The first hop I landed on for price in any "bulk" measure was $6.99 for 8 oz or $.87/oz. I know others are more expensive but for the most part those kits are not using any crazy or rare hops :mug:

Sweet!

I sent an email explaining that I tried to order AG and couldn't, mentioned I saw on a forum that several people were able to substitute AG and asked (since my order hadn't shipped yet) if I could switch my extract order to AG...No Problem Mon!!! He did say the change would add a day to shipping...no sweat!

So...Now I'm stoked for my AG kits to get here. I did a dead ringer, grapefruit pulpin and black IPA. I actually have a dead ringer in the fermentation chamber that I just dry hopped last night...I added about 10% to the grain bill as well as a good dose of simcoe and amarillo hops and I'm really excited to try it! Should be ready in a week for Hoxeyville music festival!

Sweet!

I sent an email explaining that I tried to order AG and couldn't, mentioned I saw on a forum that several people were able to substitute AG and asked (since my order hadn't shipped yet) if I could switch my extract order to AG...No Problem Mon!!! He did say the change would add a day to shipping...no sweat!

So...Now I'm stoked for my AG kits to get here. I did a dead ringer, grapefruit pulpin and black IPA. I actually have a dead ringer in the fermentation chamber that I just dry hopped last night...I added about 10% to the grain bill as well as a good dose of simcoe and amarillo hops and I'm really excited to try it! Should be ready in a week for Hoxeyville music festival!
In my experience they have great customer service at NB, glad they took care of you!

Back