Good (Canadian) Equipment Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
I have a few odds and ends (equipment) left over from the one time I tried doing home brew many years ago, but I am missing several components, and have been keeping my eyes open for good deals for the pieces I need (new or used) and not had a lot of luck.

I don't have many options locally for HBS, and sourcing either locally or online (Canada) it seems to get the few pieces of kit I need is going to cost me around $100 (Cnd). And that would have me using my old gear which may be in questionable condition (years of storage and being moved around through a couple moves).

On the other hand I've found this kit - Everwood Ave Intermediate Kit which would set me back about $125 + shipping but would have, I think, everything I need, and I'd have all new gear to start with, so I could get rid of, or repurpose, my old gear. This kit is lacking sanitizer and caps (cheap), bottle capper (a buddy has one he'll give me)... I think that's it.

I'd be starting with extract + specialty kits, so for now wouldn't need a grain bag. If/when I move to all-grain, I'd do BIAB, and I believe the 9 gallon pot would suffice, I could dunk sparge in a second, smaller, pot if I needed extra volume.

Compared to other online or local sources I've checked, this kit seems like a great value, other starter kits are way more $$ and/or come with a smaller (usually 5 gal) pot, so want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Am I? Overlooking something?

Second question is, there is the option to upgrade the siphon/filling gear from 5/16" to 1/2". I assume the benefit of 1/2" is just faster transfer? Is there a strong argument for upgrading to 1/2" for an extra $9?? It's only $9, but if there really is no significant benefit, then I might as well save the $9.

The kit looks decent for extract. Don't worry about the size of transfer tubing now for 5 galon extract batches. In my area, there are several people each week who have given up homebrew and are unloading this type of stuff and much more for $150 to $300. If you think you might brew often, or upgrade to all grain at some point, I'd go with a bigger kettle.

Yeah, I keep checking classifieds here for gear but have yet to see what I need.

I will consider the advice on the pot size... As I understand it, a 9 gallon may not be big enough for full volume BIAB mash for bigger beers, but am I correct that if I was to BIAB with a dunk sparge (similar to Death Brewer Easy Stovetop All-grain method), a 9 gallon pot should be more than big enough, right? (as long as I have a big enough second pot)

The limiting factor for me with a 9 gallon pot, and 5 gallon BIAB batches, would be the mash volume, not boil volume... am I correct? Priceless BIAB Calculator seems to tell me (I think), that pre-boil volumes would be in the neighbourhood of 6.5 gallons.

looks good, but definately get the 19 dollar upgrade, auto-siphon and botltling wand are things you really really want.

edit.

relooked the upgrades, out of the 3 options, either pick the 5/16 autosiphon(10 dollar extra) or the full final 19 dollar one.

If it were me I would get the bigger brew kettle too. This will give you more room that will help with boil overs. Also you will be able to modify your brews so that you can do a full 5 gallon batch so you will be able to do a batch that includes boil off, and transfer loss resulting in a full 5 gallons when you are going to package your beer. This is not a huge deal bottling but if you get into kegging you will end up with a full keg(which I recommend bottled for years would never go back).

With that being said There are several Canadian homebrew supply company's on the internet. Some a little closer I have used the following three places all from Ontario and my preference and experience is ranked one thru 3 (may save on shipping as the place you are looking at is in NS I believe).

1. https://shortfingerbrewing.com
I deal with rob all the time he is an avid homebrewer/pro brewer knows his stuff and would gladly help you if you gave him a call to figure out what you need. Good website/inventory.

2. http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com
Dealt with these guys a couple times usually quick turn around times used them mostly for blichmann stuff when I needed it in a hurry. Good website/inventory.

3. http://homebrewsupplies.ca
Dealt with them mostly for ingredients back when we didn't have a lot of selection in Ontario but they do have a good inventory/website

Anyway good luck to you I hope this helps you a little bit.

Thanks,
Kris

Thanks, appreciate all the feedback.

I'd already checked OBK and HomeBrewSupplies previously, Short Finger is new to me, just poked around there too.

Again, unless I'm missing something (entirely possible lol) OBK, HBS, and Short Finger all look to be a lot more $$ to get similar equipment to what Everwood is offering in that starter kit.

Hoping that this kit would allow me to get my feet wet and have some success.

As it stands, it looks like the price for the Everwood kit is a whole lot more than other similar kits which don't include a pot, or maybe a 5 gallon pot ... so it's almost like the 9 gal pot is free.

--edit-- Oh, and as an added bonus, Everwood's shipping seems to be cheaper too....

Back