Good brands for LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
New guy here. Wondering what are the top brands for LME recipes and where can I get them. So far I've tried Coopers and Mr.Beer brands. Only 10 batches under my belt and only 5 have been bottled.

Ones that are fresh! I would avoid the canned varieties (though I have sure used a bunch over the years). I think Northern Brewer and Austin Home Brew Supply and Morebeer are good sources.

always have had good luck with the malt in the plastic container from Brewmaster's Warehouse

I think you are loking for beer kits in cans not LME. LME is one in gredient. The Coopers and Mr. Beer cans are concetrated wort not just LME. Coopers probably makes the best but they will be a lot harder to find shortly.

Forrest

That's right, Forrest. I'm a new guy still using the wort in a can route. I just bought a Muntons Nut Brown Ale with Muntons Extra light DME. We'll see how that one turns out. My store recommended it too.

Thanks for the suggestions Folks. I'll try them out. Just got two more fermenters.

I guess my store won't be carrying Coopers anymore because of the price I think. Going up considerably from what I understand.

I think you are loking for beer kits in cans not LME. LME is one in gredient. The Coopers and Mr. Beer cans are concetrated wort not just LME. Coopers probably makes the best but they will be a lot harder to find shortly.

Forrest

Coopers and Muntons are the only ones I've tried. Both work fine, but you should stray from their suggestions a bit wit specialty grains, hops, and different fermentables for a better outcome.

I hadn't heard that Coopers kits were going up in price. Any idea how much and why?

Coopers and Muntons are the only ones I've tried. Both work fine, but you should stray from their suggestions a bit wit specialty grains, hops, and different fermentables for a better outcome.

I hadn't heard that Coopers kits were going up in price. Any idea how much and why?

No idea why. My store guy was not happy and said to get it while I can because the price is going up and he's not carrying it anymore. 'Pricing themselves out of the market'.

I pay around $20 for a 3.75lb HME can now. If I use their lme, it's around $16. I use Wyeast Yeast at around $8 and probably use another $5 in adjuncts (sometimes). So I get around 6gal of beer for around $50. I'm happy with that price, but I don't know that I'd pay $75 if it gets that high. I'd just go to a different HME.

No idea why. My store guy was not happy and said to get it while I can because the price is going up and he's not carrying it anymore. 'Pricing themselves out of the market'.

I pay around $20 for a 3.75lb HME can now. If I use their lme, it's around $16. I use Wyeast Yeast at around $8 and probably use another $5 in adjuncts (sometimes). So I get around 6gal of beer for around $50. I'm happy with that price, but I don't know that I'd pay $75 if it gets that high. I'd just go to a different HME.
Try Muntons out. I have only used their wheat and bitter single cans thus far, but was pleased with the outcome of both. With 3 lbs. of wheat DME or 3.3 lbs. of wheat LME and Wyeast 3068, the Muntons wheat makes an excellent hefeweizen.

I did try the Muntons Highland Heavy two can kit and was not incredibly impressed with it. I will probably not try any of their two can kits on future brews.

I might try some other Muntons styles if I need a base for more brews and run low on what I have.

The LME from Northern Breweris always fresh and has never given me any underattenuation problems. I regularly get down to 1.008-1.010

Back