Good basic IPA Grain bill needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
I'm in the hunt for a good IPA grain bill that would be simple good and something you can experiment with. And keep going to over and over to brew different IPA and even pale ales. Kind of like you have 2 or 3 ingredients that done change and then experiment off of that. I do 5.5 gallon batches. Thanks

Yea see that's what I'm shooting for nice and simple and if I want to add something in I can to try every now and then

A good starting point for NEIPA is:

78-85% Golden Promise
15-20% Flaked Adjunct (any combination of Flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley)
0-2% Honey Malt

Gravity around 1.060. Increase or decrease to taste. Bitter with a small amount of high alpha hops, then all other hops added at flameout, in whirlpool, and dry hop. This grain bill is a very good base for testing different types of hops.

Edit: You could also use Pilsner or 2-Row (I prefer Weyermann or Rahr for these), Fawcett Pearl, Maris Otter, or any combination of those in place of those in place of Golden Promise. Golden Promise is definitely one of the favorite base malts used in NEIPA's right now though.

Last edited:
What yeast do you guys usually go for I usually only use dry yeast just for the ease of it and never really had a problem with it

What yeast do you guys usually go for I usually only use dry yeast just for the ease of it and never really had a problem with it

For NEIPA's I usually go for 1318. But WY1272, Conan (Imperial Barbarian, Omega DIPA), WLP066, WLP007, and S04 all work very well. Some people also like 1056 and US05.

My NEIPA grain bill is normally 75% M/O, 20% Malted red wheat, 5% flaked oats.

My regular IPA 40% 2-row, 40% M/O or Golden Promise, 15% malted white wheat and whatever floats my boat for crystal, , rye, carapils, oats, whatever I feel like playing with.

For a West Coast IPA, 85% two row, 10% Munich, 5% med crystal

If you want to make hazy beer and not
use a bunch of flaked adjuncts use some Rhar 2 row and Carafoam. Most American 2 Row varieties are much higher in protein than English or German Malts. Carafoam will also contribute body and is high in protein. Throw in max 2% Honey Malt, Simpson’s Medium Crystal or some Carahell for a little color.

Haze without the flavor impact of oats or wheat.

For my IPA I generally use about 14.5 pounds standard 2-row, and a half pound Crystal 40. Getting somewhere around 1.075 SG. For lighter, reduce amounts appropriately.

I know where you are coming from and dry yeast is certainly easy to deal with in terms of shipping temps and long shelf life. In many cases we can find a reasonably good dry yeast for most styles. If I could only have one dry yeast, it would probably be US-05.

However, with that said, I've had split batches of NEIPA using different yeasts. US-05 is rather flat and semi-lifeless in our taste evaluations, but this is what we expect in a neutral yeast that's non-phenolic by nature.

I'll stick with WY1318 as this is the yeast most pleasing (to me) in a NEIPA. I rather enjoyed WLP066 which is a newer strain London Fog...but still 1318 retains my top pick....unfortunately all top picks are liquid.

Seems there is not a dry version that compares to 1318, and in my opinion is worth the effort to source this yeast for the best NEIPA. Many will suggest a particular dry yeast to "get by", but getting by may or may not be the way you roll.

Bry-97 is a great choice for hazy “neipa” style beers. It’s the dry version of 1272, WLP051, Indepdance, etc. It’s more forgiving than s04 especially at higher Ferm temps. It can have a longer lag time than some but it can make great beer.

100% barley variety @152
Adjust from there

No, but seriously. That's the glory of homebrew. Do what you like.
doing all American 2 row. Doing all Munich. Doing all Vienna. Do a mix of all three like Yoopers pale ale recipe. And in the end do what you like.
Single malt is a definite place to start for sure. Everyone's pallet is different.
I am personally excited to do my first single malt with pearl malt.
Cheers!

A good starting point for NEIPA is:

78-85% Golden Promise
15-20% Flaked Adjunct (any combination of Flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley)
0-2% Honey Malt

Gravity around 1.060. Increase or decrease to taste. Bitter with a small amount of high alpha hops, then all other hops added at flameout, in whirlpool, and dry hop. This grain bill is a very good base for testing different types of hops.

Edit: You could also use Pilsner or 2-Row (I prefer Weyermann or Rahr for these), Fawcett Pearl, Maris Otter, or any combination of those in place of those in place of Golden Promise. Golden Promise is definitely one of the favorite base malts used in NEIPA's right now though.

Golden Promise all the way. This is basically what I’ve been doing recently, with the substitution of Carapils for honey malt. Dextrine malt adds a lacing element you really can’t achieve with flaked grains and base malt alone.

For the dry yeast question I've had pretty good luck with Danstar London ESB. Low floctuation and flavor let's the hops come through without being too dry.

If you just want to experiment I'd go with 100% Maris Otter. Great base grain!

I'm in the hunt for a good IPA grain bill that would be simple good and something you can experiment with. And keep going to over and over to brew different IPA and even pale ales. Kind of like you have 2 or 3 ingredients that done change and then experiment off of that. I do 5.5 gallon batches. Thanks
I have been doing my NEIPAS with 2 row and Carahell as of late. 13 lbs of 2 row and 1 lb of Carahell for 6 gallons in the fermenter.

I see no mention of water profile. From what I understand that is an integral part of a NE IPA. I used 100% distilled water in my last NE IPA and while it tasted pretty good and was well received, I wonder how much better it could be with the correct water profile.

Yea I use 100% distilled and have been making my own water profiles with gypsum and such for my targets

Light and hoppy would be minimum 95% base malt. 95% 2- row 5% Carapils works fantastic. 5% wheat, oats, or crystal is nice as well. Can go up to 100% base malt and still get enough character. Just mash at 148.

100% Maris Other will be fantastic as that meets the 95% min base malt.

Half and half 2- row and M/O, Golden Promise, ESB or Pilsner all will work for light and hoppy

Really a matter of taste. 2 - row and Pilsner will highlight hops well. Those are the lightest on flavor. Other grains mentioned will feature hops but offer a little more character. To find your own preference, go with 95% 2- row with 5% Carapils and go from there on subsequent batches

My favorite malt is Munich. It's a little darker and maltier which I like to balance out the american whole hops I buy in bulk. I love adding a subtle amount of flaked rye to it. I've also done flaked oats and flaked barley and combinations of them all. IMHO, rye is the best for flavor. I always use a small amount of cara-something (usually pils) for body and head retention (this might be more habit than anything).

For an IPA, I add some 20L munich for color and more malt.

A typical PA grain bill would be
9# Munich base
1# flaked rye
10 oz caramunich

This nets me about 4-4.5 gallon batches of a session beer.

I've used Us 2 row, 6 row, marris otter, Vienna, Pils as a base. They are all great, each is different, and for some styles I wouldn't use anything but MO or pils. But my go to house PA's and IPA's are Munich Rye. I find it versatile with mash temps, yeast and hop profiles. Clean, spicy, refreshing session beer, big malty fruity beers or hop grapefruit monsters all with the same grain bill.

Just got back from the beach Saturday going to be brewing something and some recipe from all the information here very soon

For a solid Pale Ale/IPA I've been fond of:
10lb's of 2 Row
.75lb of Crystal 15.

What Munich malt is everyone using I see theres American 10l, 20l, and so on listed in brewers friend

I have this started:

8lb of 2row
1.5 of Munich 10L
8oz of crystal 20L

Hops:

.25oz of Azzaca 30 min.
.5oz of azacca 15 min.
1oz of Centennial 10 min.
1oz of Centennial 5 min.
.25oz of Azzaca 0min.

150 mash for 60 min.

I have 8 oz each of thos hops in freezer trying to use them up also have Crystal too

I have this started:

8lb of 2row
1.5 of Munich 10L
8oz of crystal 20L

Hops:

.25oz of Azzaca 30 min.
.5oz of azacca 15 min.
1oz of Centennial 10 min.
1oz of Centennial 5 min.
.25oz of Azzaca 0min.

150 mash for 60 min.
I like your grist. I usually add 60 minute hops to get me between 30-40 IBUs then add the rest at knockout. (4-8ozs)

My home brew shop guy said he has Munich malt from Germany from a malster named Avangard, anyone heard or use them

My home brew shop guy said he has Munich malt from Germany from a malster named Avangard, anyone heard or use them

Avangard is decent. I've used their stuff before with good results. It should be fine using a small % of their munich in an IPA. However, I greatly prefer Weyermann or Best Malz for german maltsters.

Are you from Altoona, IA by chance?

Back