Going to Scotland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeazlie

Reaction score
Heading to Edinburg next month since my son is graduating from the Vet school there. Will be there 2 weeks. Where and what should I visit and where should I go for a pint? Thanks.
Tom Beazlie

We went a couple years ago and had a great time. Can't really recommend anything specific other than taking in the sites in general, visiting the local small pubs, etc. We spent one night in a castle and that was probably the highlight of the trip (Borthwick). Plenty of castles, ruins, etc if you're into that. We used B&Bs mostly which is fun because you get to meet more of the locals... great people.

I know the vet school, I used to live down the road. There is a pub near there called (with a tear in his eye) John Leslies Bar. Normally has 5 beers on pump. Manager is called Gavin, can you tell him David from Tasmania says hello, he will take care of you.
- address is Ratcliffe Terrace, Causeway side, across the road from the gas station.

There are two sides to the bar : This is the posh side. The beer was served through hatches to seperate the posh people from the rabble on the other side. I would be on the other side - more fun.
http://www.lesliesbar.com/photo.html

There are many many more pubs but I have not been there for a couple of years so they may have changed.

Guildford arms on Princess Street is a good one. Very handy from the shops when the ladies are shopping. Sneaky pints are the go!!!

You lucky lucky bast@rd. Photos please. I am homesick now :-(

We were in Edinburgh a year ago and found many great cask ales. Caledonian is one of the big Scottish breweries, but in my experience you can wander in anywhere and try something new.

Well, you have to visit Rose Street, and wined your way from one end to the other. I was born in Inverness, but was stationed at Rosyth Naval Base for many years - North Queensferry, under the forth bridge has some great pubs too. You cannot go wrong if you rent a car and take off toward Dundee, and Monifieth - well worth the drive - or get the train at Waverley... Remember it will be summer there, so wrap up well in warm winter clothing and wellingtons. If you do head north watch out for the sheep, they do roam wild and hitting one at two in the morning after a good night out can ruin your day. Have fun, and remember you can never go wrong ordering McEwans, if its at room temperature, you have to break the ice first. :mug:

Well, you have to visit Rose Street, and wined your way from one end to the other. I was born in Inverness, but was stationed at Rosyth Naval Base for many years - North Queensferry, under the forth bridge has some great pubs too. You cannot go wrong if you rent a car and take off toward Dundee, and Monifieth - well worth the drive - or get the train at Waverley... Remember it will be summer there, so wrap up well in warm winter clothing and wellingtons. If you do head north watch out for the sheep, they do roam wild and hitting one at two in the morning after a good night out can ruin your day. Have fun, and remember you can never go wrong ordering McEwans, if its at room temperature, you have to break the ice first. :mug:

Rose street is a bit touristy, although Milnes bar (corner of Fredrick street) would be worth a look in. Nice pies.

Definitely visit The Scotch Whiskey Experience if you have any enjoyment of whisky. I don't, but I was able to pick up some scotch that my father had drunk over there when he was in the Air Force in the '70s.

I would also recommend taking the walk up to Arthur's Seat. It's a great walk/hike and you get a great view of the city at the top.

I am so jealous! Enjoy the trip and congrats to your son! :mug:

Heading to Edinburg

I love the way Americans cannot say Edinburgh.
It is not burg as in burger.

Edin burr ur

Edin as in the ead in "Head" with in at the end
burr as in metal burr
ur as in burger (lol managed to get your burger in there!)

...I may be wasting my time here as my accent is different :D

Just saw this post. Lived in Edinburgh for a year. Dibby33 had it right when he said the Guildford arms. They have the best selection. But my favorite pub for atmosphere was Bannermans. Also try anything you can find buy Brewdog. They are a new brewery by Aberdeen that was started buy a couple of young guys. They make some cool stuff.

I think he was talking about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7404511.stm

You're right that followers of the national side are in general a lot more peaceable than their southern neighbours, though on their day the two Glasgow sides can take violent sectarian hatred to astonishing heights.

True. True. Nothing to compare with Celtic Vs Rangers.
They are both as bad as each other.

Racism was also on the cards

heres a comedy moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just traveled around the UK for two weeks last month. It was awesome! I'm sure the aforementioned pubs are great but we had a wonderful time just walking the streets and stopping in whatever pub we were near when we got hungry or thirsty. I can't tell where you're from since you don't have a location in your profile but if you're american, here are a few tips that may be useful (although your son would probably be able to direct you if you're with him.)

1. Most pubs won't send a waiter/waitress to your table. You have to go up to the bar to order drinks and food.
2. In America everyone uses credit cards for everything, but in the UK, carrying cash seems to be the norm, and is actually handy once you get used to it.
3. Be prepared to spend A LOT of money! The exchange rate is kicking out butts right now. The upside is that once you get back to the US you will be ecstatic at how cheap stuff is. "5 dollars for a hamburger! awesome! that's only 2.50 quid! I couldn't buy a coke over there for that!"
4. The showers are weird! Most have some box thing that heats the water and 50% of the time does a poor job of it.
5. Go to Edinburgh castle, it's awesome! But if you go to the Tower of London later in your trip Edinburgh castle will have seemed somewhat quaint.
6. Don't even try to prounounce Edinburgh the way the natives do, it's impossible.
7. Have fun!

I knew how to pronounce Edinburgh correctly. I learnt it from Groundskeeper Willie on the simpsons.

Back