Going to Mobile, Al next month - any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Next month I'm going to Mobile, Al for a weekend and I'm trying to figure out some stuff I can do while not at the wedding. Hows the beer scene down there? Anywhere good I should go to or local brews to look for?

non-beer related suggestions are also welcome, especially if they're bbq related.

Spent a summer doing a internship at Emory University in Atlanta... Sweetwater Brewing Co. makes some good beer! If you see'em check them out :)

go find that leprechaun in that tree... where da gold at!? I want da gold!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there back in Jan. and I believe they just started serving Sweetwater and a couple other popular micro-brews in restaurants. I ordered an IPA and the waitress didn't even know what I was asking for. The place is about ten years behind the times so good luck.

I was there back in Jan. and I believe they just started serving Sweetwater and a couple other popular micro-brews in restaurants. I ordered an IPA and the waitress didn't even know what I was asking for. The place is about ten years behind the times so good luck.

Ten years is being conservative, which I guess is appropriate for L. A. (Lower Alabama)

This is the Bud Light capital of the world, but some of the restaurants downtown on Dauphin street will have a decent beer or two on tap. Hopjacks is your best bet. There is no "local" brew.

If nothing else, go to Wintzell's downtown and have a couple dozen oysters, they are a quarter each during happy hour and their BMCs are always a buck a pint, or go to the Oyster House on the causeway for some good Gulf Coast seafood.

A couple of restaurant suggestions that are not in Mobile, but if I were anywhere in the vicinity of Mobile I would go to these.

If you are driving to Mobile and end up I-65 between Montgomery and Mobile, I recommend stopping at Bates House of Turkey in Greenville. It's right on the highway. It's like this weird "thanksgiving all year" restaurant. But darn tasty!

http://batesturkey.com/restaurant.aspx

Also, highly recommend Lambert's - home of the "throwed roll." Always a line to get into this place but it goes pretty fast. They have good southern favorites. And servers walk around with huge bowls of sides and just dip them out on your plate constantly during your stay. Then, some dude rolls out a cart and start yelling, "ROLL!" You put your hand in the air and throws it at you from across the room. Good food, fun times. It is located in Foley, just southeast of Mobile.

http://www.throwedrolls.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Foley

wow i guess hopjacks it is. fortunately im staying only a couple mins away from there, cuz it sounds like im gunna be there often. looks like they got some sweetwater on tap so i'll give it a whirl

ok so it looks like I'll be staying an extra day to go to New Orleans too. Please say the beer scene is better there

If you are taking I-10 from Mobile to NOLA, make sure to stop by Lazy Magnolia brewery.

http://www.lazymagnolia.com

I'd do it, but I'll be passing thru that area on sunday and they don't do tours that day. plus oddly they dont even sell their own beer there

im heading out this weekend, any more last minute ideas for Mobile or NOLA? I plan to hit up hopjacks and wintzells in mobile and crescent city in NOLA

Sweetwater is great, nice grape-fruity IPA. If you can find any Good People Brewing, give it a shot. Brewed in Birmingham. Brown ale and IPA are in cans, along with many others on draft. They have a tap room in house if you pass through the area.

Latest posts

Back