going to half barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant-man

Reaction score
i have been brewing 10 gallon batches for years and am looking at going from carboy to getting a Ss Brewing Technologies 14 Gallon Chronical Stainless Steel Fermenter, but i can get the 17 gallon one for about 150 less used.

should i do the 17 gallon and bump up to 15 gallon batches or get the 14 gallon? Pro's and Cons i guess is what i am looking for.

my set up;
the sisters, twin 15.5 gallon mash tuns on RIMS with PID control. all DIY
1 17.5 gallon kettle
1 15.5 gallon kettle
17 cf fermentation chamber temp control by PID.

Thanks guy's and gals.

You can use the 17 gallon fermenter for 10 gallon batches without any issues. A lot of us purchase 15 gallon fermenters and use them for both 10 gallon and 5 gallon batches. Here is a quote from the Stout Tanks website:

"Can I ferment a half-batch in my conical fermenter?
Question: I mostly brew 5 or 6 gal. brews at a time, but on occasion I'll brew a 10 gallon batch. Can I use your 14.5 gallon conical for all my needs?
Answer: Absolutely. The CO2 created during fermentation provides a protective blanket. Many breweries put 1/2 batches in their fermenters with no problems. The only risk would be if you were to open it too much or for too long after fermentation has died down (and you lose your CO2 blanket)."

Same principal.

I am looking at going from carboy to getting a Ss Brewing Technologies 14 Gallon Conical Stainless Steel Fermenter, but i can get the 17 gallon one for about 150 less used.

I thought this was the Beginners forum!

Sorry ..... I couldn't resist.

Back