Going From Collar-Mounted Taps to a Draft Tower on a Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enormous13

Reaction score
TL;DR - What I'm wondering is, has anyone gone to a tower setup from collar-mounted taps and regretted it, or noticed some significant downsides?

Hey Everyone,

I've got a Danby chest freezer that I've been using as a keezer for about a year now. I built a collar and mounted my three taps through it. It stays out in my garage here in Central Florida, and because I had to make the collar out of "1 by" (1x8) lumber, backed up with half inch pink foam insulation, it sweats pretty badly on the face, and I'm getting mold on the exterior, even under the finish on the collar. I also can't get my drip tray to attach to the face of the freezer for the life of me. Neither the strongest magnets I could find, or 3m adhesive, can keep the tray on the keezer and support the weight of a full beer.

I've thought about going to a kegerator with a tower, but came to realize I could just add a tower to my keezer lid and achieve the same thing for a lot cheaper. What I'm wondering is, has anyone gone to a tower setup from collar-mounted taps and regretted it, or noticed some significant downsides? I already know I would be installing a tower cooling fan, and I'd probably get one of those sleeves for the tower. I'll also admit that I do like the look of the tower.

I'm thinking similar to this, except I'll need to still utilize a collar, remaking it out of thicker lumber, to accommodate the keg on the hump and my 7lb co2 tank's height.
IMG_0409s.jpg

Since I've got most of the equipment already, I'm looking at about $xxxx for this change.

-Tower - $50
-Tower Shanks x3 - $35
-New Drip Tray - $45
-Tower Fan - $65
-Tower Sleeve - $20
-New John Guest Fittings - $10
-Lumber and Insulation - $10

All in, less than $250 for the change. Could scrape some cash back on the 3 Intertap SS shanks I currently have by selling them. Any recommendations on equipment or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just curious: What are you really trying to accomplish? You mention the condensation and mold due to the collar - but you'll still have a collar after spending $250.....so the only real difference is having the tower, which you like the look of, and having the drip tray.

If you are willing to permanently alter the freezer (as you will be with the tower), then you could have used small screws or construction adhesive to help hold the drip tray on the front.

If you really like the look of the tower, and it's worth $250 to you I'd say go for it. It would seem to me that you will still end up fixing insulation problems that may be causing condensation either way.....

Just curious: What are you really trying to accomplish? You mention the condensation and mold due to the collar - but you'll still have a collar after spending $250.....so the only real difference is having the tower, which you like the look of, and having the drip tray.

If you are willing to permanently alter the freezer (as you will be with the tower), then you could have used small screws or construction adhesive to help hold the drip tray on the front.

If you really like the look of the tower, and it's worth $250 to you I'd say go for it. It would seem to me that you will still end up fixing insulation problems that may be causing condensation either way.....
The collar needs to be replaced with a thicker version regardless, both lumber and insulation. The reason for the condensation currently is the cutouts in the insulation for the shanks coming into the interior, where I've got a small fan pushing air upwards towards to keep the taps cool. If I transition to the tower setup, and rebuild the collar, we solve the collar condensation issue. Might even improve first pours.

With a tower, you need to pull the freezer away from the wall to add and remove kegs. I am in this situation and it is a pain without wheels.

With a tower, you need to pull the freezer away from the wall to add and remove kegs. I am in this situation and it is a pain without wheels.

... or you could build "wings" like I did..

(click Keezer variation in sig line)

... or you could build "wings" like I did..

(click Keezer variation in sig line)
Lucky enough to have this thing on casters in the garage. Already have to pull it away from the wall to get inside it.

I do have some moisture gathering periodically - I haven't gotten around to caulking the freezer to top connection and have yet to put on the foam tape around the opening - so its not so bad that I've gotten off my butt to fix it...

Back