Going for it - Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
So tomorrow is the day. First ever AG and we'll be making a Black IPA. Wish me luck. I've been told this could be an 8hr day. Other brewers I know say they can not break the 6hr mark. Tonight I got my grains crushed and starter going.

Good luck! Take your time and enjoy the brew day! It helps to clean up while you are cooling the wort.

All went well. 8.5hrs, not bad IMO. I did partial cleaning as I went. My wort cools quick through my CFC. I didn't take a post boil volume and came up short by a gallon from the looks of things on the buckets.

If I crush my grains the night before and setup my pot and fill it the night before (saving only 20 minutes or so) I can brew in about 4.5 hours depending on a 60 or 90 minute boil. I clean up lots during the boil so that I don't have too much to do other than the kettle and a bucket or two after the boil.
It's never taken me more than 5.5 hours. I can't spend 8 hours on brewing even if I wanted to. But starting off, it's better to be sure you have things down and not rush.
Congrats on your first AG. I've got my favorite black carbing in the keg as we speak.

I'd love to try a Black IPA. I didn't know that it took longer than a regular IPA - why is that?

Glad it went well.

With BiaB it takes me roughly 4-4 1/2hrs for my 2.5 and 3.75G batches including setup and clean up time.

Around 10 minutes to setup (I grind my grains at my LHBS), around 30 minutes to get my main pot up to 160F or so, then a 60 minute mash, trasnfer to steeping pot 15 minutes in my steeping pot, about 15-20 minutes to get it up to a boil. Then its generally a 60 minute boil (total time is up to about 3 hours here) followed by around 45 minutes to cool to temperature in the sink. Then about 15-30 minutes to take gravity measurements, transfer to the fermenter, pitch the yeast and clean everything up.

I have also hear people talk of "all day long" to do AG batches, but I don't know if they are doing lower temperature and thus significantly longer mash times, or they have protein rests thrown in for good measure and/or if setup and tear down/clean-up time is just really lengthy for them.

I can consistently knock out batches in under 5 hours, and that's with an immersion chiller. I have no idea why it would take so long to brew.

OP said he was told it could take 8 hours - is that because it was a Black IPA?

Nah, a black IPA only has some darker grains added to the mash, so it takes no longer than a normal IPA, other than the time it took to handle and crush the dark grains!

In terms of picking up the pace of the brew day. I find dragging it all out the PITA.

Get going, once you mash, get all your stuff measured out for any kettle water additions, all your hops and ingredients, and your yeast selection.

Once I'm boiling, I'm cleaning fermenters and sanitizing them. Tossing the grain out of the tun and cleaning it out.

I whirlpool the wort while I'm putting everything away. I literally have the kettle, and my stand, and the fermeter left when I'm done cleaning.

Clean while you go and it goes much faster than sitting around. Of course, if you've got the time, nothing can beat sitting on the porch with some music, some good weather, the kettle boiling and a cold one in your hand!!

Back