Going Fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband works for the Forest Service. Last week (right after the snowstorm), some fisheries biologists netted a lake to survey it. Here's a photo of one of the muskies they netted:
View attachment 10939

They also found many walleyes, up to 28"; and some really nice crappies. I can't tell you the name of the lake, but if you come visit, I'll take you fishing!

I remember the time my grandpa caught a muskie. It was huge! I think he used young puppies for bait...

I started when I was 4 ( I know this is an old thread) loved it from my 1st day, and I still fish every chance I get. any advice I can give is start your boys and girls young. BARBIE or SpiderMan poles from wally world work great come in various sizes...

My addition has gotten so bad i've gone from streams, to lakes to ocean and back many times over, moving from spin cast to spinning to fly to bait caster for rubber worms (hey I live in the south now so don't shoot me). I've learned to tie flies, build my own balsa wood plugs, make my own salt water rigs including saltwater mackerel xmas trees, and now building my own rods.

Giving back a bit to my dad now that he's retired... taught him to fly fish... wish I lived back in pa so I could go with him...

caught my biggest salt water fish last october, a 36"+ 20lb red drum from the surf here in SC what a rush! same day caught 3 36" or better sharks on only heavy mono leader no steel!

goal for this year catch a fish on a lure or fly I made myself on a rod I built myself and if on a fly on a hand tied tapered leader I tied myself! lots of me myself and I between jerk in the water to jerk on the bank/shore!

start them early and they'll remember the experience for a life time, my step-kids will!

tight lines

Oh and by the way bring your rod when you take the kids but don't expect to use it much. be patient, you WILL be spending most of the time fixing "problems" my girls FAVORITE line is "Daddy! I have a problem!" ie tangle, snag, hooked in a tree,or the back of her brothers shirt!

I'll never for get those days as long as I live! AND they where much more rewarding than any day, bringing home a cooler full of fish.

If my rod building keeps going well, I plan on making some custom salt water rods for my boy and girl to get them into some surf fishing with me!

Back