Going AG - Need help buying kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazzster

Reaction score
I'm still kind of new to this. Reading Palmer's book right now. I know I want to go all grain. I'm thinking my process will be to mash and brew in the same pot, using grain bags so I can remove the grain. (dumb idea?)

Also, I'm thinking only 5 gallon batches. So pouring to the fermentation bucket should not be a problem. I will be making a wort cooler, so the wort will be cool when I pour it as well.

Which brings me to the point of this... I need to buy a 10 gallon pot. I'm looking at 3 options.

1. Aluminum stock pot - 40 quart - about $40

2. Tall Boy Kettle - $109 http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...les/tall-boy-stainless-steel-brew-kettle.html

3. 10 gallon SS pot with extra doo-hickies. Here is one I found at a pretty good price.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...efccid=ZQ5FFGSYMWBY27CGD5M3OYNNGE&searchidx=1

So, I am looking for advice on which way to go. Is SS better than aluminum? Will I regret not having the doo-hickies? What else am I not thinking about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd definitely go with the Bayou of the 3 you mentioned. You'll need all the doo-hickies and it even has a heat shield which is pretty cool. I've never done BIAB so I'm not really sure how you'd be able to lift ~16+ lbs of wet grain out of the mash/BK. I'd invest in the Bayou, a large igloo and some sort of stock pot to sparge (maybe the aluminum one you have above). You can just place those items on tables, chairs, etc and gravity feed.

If you're wanting to go all grain anytime soon, I would get the spigot. It's a heck of a lot easier when dealing with a MLT or heating sparge water. If you're just doing extract or full boil BIAB, the spigot doesn't matter much. Other than that, in my opinion the rest is just looks. Want a shinier pot? Get the SS. Want to save some money? Get the aluminum.

I suggest getting a pot with a spigot. I'm am currently looking for one now so that I can go from BIAB to all grain.

I have the bayou without the thermometer and have been pleased with it. Going with the spigot now means less problems if you want to go to pumps, CFC, plat chiller....

I like the 60 qt here on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14111512684...49&var=440234005272&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
You would be able to BIAB a five gallon big beer in that. I would not want to try a 10 gallon BIAB with out a lift. I'd just use my MLT anyway.

One of these could be nice,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHMRH2Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...pl_k_22?ie=UTF8&refRID=0N0058AXSKYWWFPYP9XZ I use this an prefer looking down at it over bending over to look at this side.
I still don't have a valve on my 60qt kettle and I do 10 gallon batches most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still kind of new to this. Reading Palmer's book right now. I know I want to go all grain. I'm thinking my process will be to mash and brew in the same pot, using grain bags so I can remove the grain. (dumb idea?)

No, not a dumb idea. There is a very large number of brewers on this forum who brew using BIAB. As far as I can tell, it's the easiest all-grain brewing method to use. I've been brewing BIAB for over 2.5 years and I don't see myself ever changing. There are valid reasons that people give for choosing the traditional MLT approach over BIAB, but I can't think of a single one that couldn't be overcome with a little planning. Regardless of method, the difference is only in the details of the process and the end result is the same.

As far as the kettle choice... All of the ones you listed and those linked by others will work fine. A 10g kettle will be perfect for 60 & 90 minute boils for all but the highest gravity brews and even those could be done if you do a small sparge. If you think you'll be doing many 1.085+ brews, you may want to consider going with a 15g kettle as suggested above. To add one more choice to your list... I like the MegaPot 1.2 from Northern Brewer and will likely be purchasing one soon. It's a bit more expensive but I like the fact that it has a 3-ply bottom.

Doo-hickies... The built-in thermometer is not necessary and will likely be in your way. If you get one of those, plan on removing it and plugging the port. You will need a thermometer, but a digital, quick-read, pocket model will work better. ThermoWorks makes a $20 model that people seem to like. You don't need to constantly monitor the temp of the mash and the temp reading the built-in unit will provide will not be accurate due to stratification unless you're using a pump and recirculating your mash. The ball valve is a nice feature to have, but is not necessary for 5g batches unless you cannot comfortably lift 50 lbs. I'm not saying not to get it, just telling you that it is not altogether necessary. You could always add one later if you decided you want one. Full disclosure: I've done 60 batches without one, but I am looking at upgrading my BIAB system in the next few months to include a new 10 or 15g MegaPot w/ ballvalve.

Aluminum vs SST... I'm partial to SST, but I don't think it really matters. People brew great beer with both.

I use a bayou classic 44 qt. stainless steel pot and I have been more than happy with it. If I had to start over, I would go with the larger 62 quart one. I also bought a stainless ball valve kit, drilled the pot and installed it. I find it much easier to transfer the hot liquid using the hose than having to lift the hot pot. I think the ball valve cost me $30.

Back