Gnome Spicy Ginger Beer extract from Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this extract? The website says it makes between 5 and 10 gallons depending on how spicy you want it. I've never used this one before but I was hoping for something fairly spicy like Reed's Extra Ginger or Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale. I'm assuming I'd probably want to make 5 gallons but was hoping someone might have some feedback.

I'm guessing from the lack of replies that nobody has any experience with the extract.

I finally got around to mixing this up today. I went with a 5 gallon batch sweetened with 4# of turbinado an 1# of plain old granulated sugar. I opened the extract and it smelled of ginger (not surprise) but also had a very strong earthy aroma.

Before adding the extract to the water/sugar mixture, the mixture was a nice clear amber. After adding the extract it turned a murky muddy brown color. Not the most appetizing appearance, but I tasted some and it tasted great.

If you like your ginger beer spicy, definitely don't dilute it more than 5 gallons.

microbusbrewery said:
I'm guessing from the lack of replies that nobody has any experience with the extract.

I finally got around to mixing this up today. I went with a 5 gallon batch sweetened with 4# of turbinado an 1# of plain old granulated sugar. I opened the extract and it smelled of ginger (not surprise) but also had a very strong earthy aroma.

Before adding the extract to the water/sugar mixture, the mixture was a nice clear amber. After adding the extract it turned a murky muddy brown color. Not the most appetizing appearance, but I tasted some and it tasted great.

If you like your ginger beer spicy, definitely don't dilute it more than 5 gallons.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had pretty much the same experience you reported. The color is certainly odd, but I liked the flavor. In the future I'd probably just stick with mixing up my own off the cuff recipes.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had pretty much the same experience you reported. The color is certainly odd, but I liked the flavor. In the future I'd probably just stick with mixing up my own off the cuff recipes.

Yeah, my wife wasn't home when I mixed it up, but when she walked in and saw the color she was like "what the hell is that???"

I usually do a simple brew using my Ginger Beer Plant, but I wanted to give this one a try. A couple of my kids like ginger sodas, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to try this one based on the appearance.

I tried the Gnome Root Beer Extract, and it is miles better then the run of the mill Rainbow
extract. I wouldn't bother with the Rainbow extract, but the Gnome is as good a root beer
as I've ever had.

Jim

Latest posts

Back