Glycolipids???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-star

Reaction score
Hi, trying my first attempt at a cider. Got some fresh local cider that lister only apples and “glycolipids” as ingredients.

Added four gallons of the cider along with 2lbs of brown sugar. Aerated and pitched one pack of US-05. 36 hours later and no activity.

Anyone know if the glycolipids in the cider could be inhibiting fermentation? Thanks to anyone that can help a brotha out.

I believe Glycolipids protect the product (in this case cider) against yeast and bacteria. (Acts as a preservative.)

You probably can overcome it with a huge yeast pitch. But your fighting an uphill battle.

Google literature seems to suggest that it is a yeast-originated antibacterial preservative. Is probably protectant against bacterial contamination. Pretty clear to me it will inhibit yeast activity, but does not seem to be a yeast killer.

See this white paper.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jsfa.7759

Pitched a gallon of cider, then noticed it contained glycolipids, so tripled the yeast. One week later, no activity. None. Glycolipids are highly effective in preventing yeast from doing its job.

Latest posts

Back