Glycolipid in cider... No fermentation. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OopsMD

Reaction score
One gallon batch of apple cyser made with one gallon cider, 2 lb honey didn't start fermenting within 48 hours. Checked the cider bottle to see glycolipids listed as an ingredient...

Am I doomed? Does anyone know a way to either get rid of or inhibit the glycolipids? Pitched a packet of rehydrated D47

Had to look them up, they're a surfacant and anti-fungal. Yeast, of course, is a fungus.

If it was a sorbate, you could just massively pitch yeast, and the yeast would absorb the sorbate, drop out of solution, and you'd be good to go. I've done that.

But I can't find anything on how this stuff works. My recommendation would be to add some spices, throw it in a crock pot, and call it mulled cider. Then start over with some cider that doesn't have any dodgy ingredients.

I agree. When I make my cyser, I make sure the only thing on the ingredients label is "pressed apples". If it says more than that, find a different one. Safest bet. Best of luck.
Happy meading 😎

Back