Glasses out of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some glasses from the 70's that are made from wine bottles. Top is cut off and I assume ground, metal bands hold bottle and are attached to wooden handle. If the design was updated it could be very fun and wouldn't require access to a kiln. Letsee if my wife took pictures...

Here we go...

3683657932_a7cd9b7c91.jpg

I have no idea on the process of making these - they came from a friend whose mother acquired these years ago.

Wow, those are pretty cool, I'd get them if it was more like $30/6 pack.

A friend of mine had a glass cutter that allowed you to cut a wine or beer bottle. I made some glasses out of it, but the ground lips were not pretty. Another friend said he used to do it and also managed to carefully torch the tops to make a nice bead around the rim. I might try it again some time.

Seems like you could make a jig fairly easily that would let you run a glass cutter around the bottle. Wonder about something as simple as a pair of big hose clamps, put them side-by-side, just leave enough of a gap for the glass cutter; run the glass cutter around, gently knock off the top of the bottle, then hit the rim with a torch.

Seems unlikely to work, lots of ways for the bottle to not survive (not least of which being thermal shock), but might be a fun little experiment.

Wasn't there an old Labatt's (or maybe Molson?) commercial in the 70's where they made a stein out of a empty bottle? Seem to remember seeing that while watching HNIC in my youth.

Seems like you could make a jig fairly easily that would let you run a glass cutter around the bottle. Wonder about something as simple as a pair of big hose clamps, put them side-by-side, just leave enough of a gap for the glass cutter; run the glass cutter around, gently knock off the top of the bottle, then hit the rim with a torch.

Seems unlikely to work, lots of ways for the bottle to not survive (not least of which being thermal shock), but might be a fun little experiment.

That is basically what the bottle cutter was. I'm going to ask if he still has it.

Not sure about the heating either. I've done that kind of thing int he past with bad results (flying glass...) but I was much younger and less experienced and less patient. My friend says he did it, and I have no reason to not believe him.

Back