Glass hydrometer alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
Ok. I broke two hydrometers in two weeks. I know I should be more careful or just get a stand for them or something so they don't fall.
I've looked around a bit and haven't found much. I see the plastic coopers one has bad reviews for accuracy. Then some shatterproof polycarbonate ones that are 50+$. Don't really want to spend that, unless someone can verify they are accurate and sturdy.
I also some interesting antique ones on eBay made of metal or wood.
Although I don't know that they would still work properly.
Anyone have a hydrometer made of something other than glass?

Also I don't know much about refractometers but it sounds they do not work for the final gravity anyway. So I don't think that would help but I might be wrong.

I use a refractometer on brew day. IMHO it is far superior while brewing. I only need a couple drops which takes seconds to cool to the right temperature vs trying to cool a 6 oz hydrometer sample. I generally use it for FG as well. With correction calculators it always lines up with my hydrometer within about +-.001. It also will work to trend your FG and figure out if your beer is done fermenting. Even if it is off, if you trend the FG to no change then you are good to go.

I bought a cheap one on amazon and it works great. I still keep a hydrometer and test jar around and use it fairly regularly too.

Back