Glass coke bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
I've been hunting up a source of clear glass bottles, and hit on those delightfully cute little 237ml Coke bottles. Perfect size for what I want to package in them.

But my question is, has anyone ever used these? Do normal crown caps seal them alright?

Yes, and yes. We used them a couple times for those who always say "Hey, can I try one!" without really deserving a full one. Plus, the girls seemed to like the mini beers more than a full size.

Terrapinchef on here scored cases of antique mini coke bottles, and he used them for his barleywine. Pretty awesome actually. He built small wooden crates to store them in. Compete with straw.

I bottled a barleywine in some and it worked great.

I also bottled my first soda in some and it wasn't as great. Carbing with yeast and no temp control makes even the stout little Coke bottles go BOOM!

I've still got some and have held on to them in case I want to bottle some wine or mead or something.

FYI - A soak in some strong starsan, or even hydrochloric acid will eat the paint off of them.

That's actually more or less exactly what I want them for. I have some rough lumber, I'm going to sand it a bit, varnish it, and make sort of like old fashioned milk bottle crates, only sized for the small coke bottles.

I'm planing on putting a mix of Apfelwein, Skeeter Pee, maybe a few other concoctions into them, and making mixed 6 variety packs to give away for next Christmas. I want them clear because, well. I find clear glass just looks attractive, especially when bottling brightly colored things. Using coke bottles specifically because the only other clear crown cap bottles I can get around here are Corona, and I simply don't want to drink 60-70 bottles of Corona, or Innis and Gunn Scottish Ale. Which is a hell of a lot better then the Corona, and for sure drinkable, but 3.75$ per 341ml bottle at my local liquer store. Touch expensive. I can do Coke bottles for roughly a buck each.

@Homercidal-- Thanks for the tip on getting the paint off! I tried rubbing it off with cotton balls and nail polish remover last night. It did work, but VERY slowly. A good soak in Starsan will def be what I try next.

I think they use an acid paint for glass to get it to stick. Even after you've eaten the paint off there may be a very faint ghost image of the paint left over.

I'd personally love to see some 8 ounce brown bottles for packaging barleywine and whatnot. Someone used to make them but I haven't see ANYTHING for sale in several years.

You can use just about any imported bottle. My "collection" has Mexican Coke, Sprite and Fanta, as well as Topo Chico water and Jarritos sodas. My local grocery store has Jarritos 12.5oz for 52 cents. Even if you don't like the contents, that's 3 bucks less per case than buying brown bottles from my LHBS. I haven't seen them selling cases, but a lot of stores will give you a discount if you buy in bulk.

Back