Adding powdered cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A brown ale I made last month with S-04 finished at 1.016 (it was definitely finished). Anyways, cracked the first bottle yesterday, and it was quite good, but a little sweeter than I liked. On a whim, I added a pinch of powdered cinnamon to the glass, and thought it tasted much better. So I chilled another bottle in the freezer to minimize CO2 loss (it did not freeze), opened it, added same sized pinch of cinnamon and re-capped. Just now I opened it to taste, and after a few seconds, it turned into a fountain of foam. Tastes great, but lost a good third of a 12 oz bottle, and most of the fizz.

I'd love to do this to the rest of the bottles, if there was a way to not turn them all into gushers as well (I am convinced there is no over-pressure concern, it's more of a mentos-in-diet-coke nucleation event). Maybe waiting a few weeks after dosing/recapping before opening? Or a vodka tincture?

Latest posts

Back