Glass carboy with hole on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lmao, sorry wasn't thinking clearly yesterday. My application is for a Sanke, etc. I'm pretty optimistic about it.

But if someone cuts the bottom of a carboy out, I want to see pics.

Just use the damn thing already so we can see what too much time on your hands looks like! Are you going to crash this thing? I am sure experience shows that the yeast doesn't drop ( am too lazy to look it up) but if crashed I don't see how the sides of this thing will have any relevance on a yeasts ability to drop and compact in the neck and eventually clear out. You may have to run the cake off twice in order to catch any stragglers but I am just not seeing the issue here. Good luck and please get some better support on that thing. See what a carboy can do to a person working as a medic and I just see accident waiting to happen in these pics. Also a post of the valve close up would be nice.

I just don't get how anyone here is completely ignoring the fact that you're dealing with rough cut glass that you're going to be abrading with a stopper, dropping minuscule glass pieces into your beer all the time.....no thank you!

AZ_IPA said:
You could simply saw off the entire bottom of the carboy so you would have easy access to take the cone out to clean it. Then you could put rubber gasket(s) on the sawed off glass with some latches so you could attach it back on.

That just might work! If it doesn't, you could always cut the entire top off and attach it to the bottom hole and the bottom to the top hole. ;)

RoughandReadyRanch said:
Just use the damn thing already so we can see what too much time on your hands looks like! Are you going to crash this thing? I am sure experience shows that the yeast doesn't drop ( am too lazy to look it up) but if crashed I don't see how the sides of this thing will have any relevance on a yeasts ability to drop and compact in the neck and eventually clear out. You may have to run the cake off twice in order to catch any stragglers but I am just not seeing the issue here. Good luck and please get some better support on that thing. See what a carboy can do to a person working as a medic and I just see accident waiting to happen in these pics. Also a post of the valve close up would be nice.

The issue is that the trub will not settle only in the neck of the carboy. Looking at a carboy and using common sense leads to that conclusion. The shoulder doesn't have enough of a slant to keep the trub from settling there. So what you'll end up with is a tiny bit of trub in the neck that can be flushed out by the valve and then about 95%+ of the trub settled on the shoulders. Even with cold crashing and draining multiple times, the bulk of it will likely stay in place with maybe just a steady bit of it streaming out with the otherwise clear beer. So to avoid the trub steadily finding its way in the cleared beer while draining out of the bottom(previously the top), the beer will instead have to be siphoned out of the top hole(that was drilled in what was previously the bottom). And if that's the case, then there was never a reason to go through all the trouble to cut the hole and build a stand for the now inverted carboy when, in the end, the beer will be siphoned out of the top just like using a carboy the traditional way.

I just don't get how anyone here is completely ignoring the fact that you're dealing with rough cut glass that you're going to be abrading with a stopper, dropping minuscule glass pieces into your beer all the time.....no thank you!

But he'll dump the glass via the conical.

Can't you heat the hole to rebond the abrasions? It doesn't have to be a perfect melt after all.

I think it's a neat idea. I'm inclined to think the Better Bottles are a better option for it though rather than weakening the glass and I say that as a glass guy. Personally, I'd at least wrap it with a neoprene sleeve. Surprised that a company hasn't made bottle like that already in a normal cone style to be perfectly honest. It'd be relatively easy and cheap enough to be virtually disposable I'd think.

Do some research...it's not because I say it doesn't work (note that I said doesn't...that means I've tried it. I'm nor guessing). Dozens, maybe hundreds, of people who have tried it say it doesn't work. If you used something other than a carboy, it might work. But the slope of the carboy shoulders isn't steep enough to drop yeast. That's not naysaying, that's not opinion, it's a fact.

I purchased the FermentTap a few years back. I can confirm utter disappointment in the execution of the amazing idea.

On the other hand, it's worked out as an amazing little unit for rinsing and extracting yeast in a 1 Gallon carboy :)

Still, I think this idea is really cool, and I admire the determination. Just be safe with that bad-boy - cheers!!

I'm working on it. Create an artificial slope inside the fermenter. Pics to come. Not high on my to do list, so don't hold your breathe.
If you come up with a foldable flexible cone, doable.

I ran into the same problem using a plastic bottle as a grain hopper for my small mash tun, not enough slope.
Without constant vibrating the hopper, like many do with a grain mill, no go.
Solved the problem with an off the shelf aluminum funnel I modified.

Grain_Hopper1.jpg

GrainHopper_Empty.jpg

If you come up with a foldable flexible cone, doable.

I ran into the same problem using a plastic bottle as a grain hopper for my small mash tun, not enough slope.
Without constant vibrating the hopper, like many do with a grain mill, no go.
Solved the problem with an off the shelf aluminum funnel I modified.

Is that a mirror on the ceiling? If so, you have apparently ran out of gadgets you need, and now are adding gadgets of questionable necessity!

Is that a mirror on the ceiling?
Yes Sir

you have apparently ran out of gadgets you need, and now are adding gadgets of questionable necessity!

The inserted funnel's slope is not ideal, occasionally some grains stay behind.
The only way to know if the hopper is empty without climbing close to 8' or installing a vibrator is the mirror.
Originally the hopper was equipped with a sensor which will be used for another grain hopper project.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yes Sir

The only way to know if the hopper is empty without climbing close to 8' or installing a vibrator is the mirror.
Originally the hopper was equipped with a sensor which will be used for another grain hopper project.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Well, climbing up there might not be ideal, but that must be how the grains are put into the hopper in the first place.

I'd say a slap or two with the ole mash paddle would do wonders to encourage the barley to step into the chute.

Well, climbing up there might not be ideal, but that must be how the grains are put into the hopper in the first place.

You act like there's not a motor driven auger that transports the grains to the hopper.

I've been admiring ClaudiusB's setup for way too long...

The issue is that the trub will not settle only in the neck of the carboy. Looking at a carboy and using common sense leads to that conclusion. The shoulder doesn't have enough of a slant to keep the trub from settling there. So what you'll end up with is a tiny bit of trub in the neck that can be flushed out by the valve and then about 95%+ of the trub settled on the shoulders. Even with cold crashing and draining multiple times, the bulk of it will likely stay in place with maybe just a steady bit of it streaming out with the otherwise clear beer. So to avoid the trub steadily finding its way in the cleared while draining out of the bottom(previously the top), the beer will instead have to be siphoned out of the top hole(that was drilled in what was previously the bottom). And if that's the case, then there was never a reason to go through all the trouble to cut the hole and build a stand for the now inverted carboy when, in the end, the beer will be siphoned out of the top just like using a carboy the traditional way.

Common sense would lead me to the conclusion that you sir are a dick. All pleasantries aside you are likely correct and due to a large amount of drinking on a long workless Monday I seem to have missed what you have made so pleasantly obvious. I now see your point, but you're still kind of a dick. :D

Yes Sir

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I'd say a slap or two with the ole mash paddle would do wonders to encourage the barley to step into the chute.
While the mash paddle slap is the simple option, I do like the idea of using an adult toy in brewing.... :tank:

BeerGrylls said:
Wow, the bile. RDWHAHB brother. Do you slap your kids when they change the subject?

Speaking of smacking kids ......

Just kidding I'm just painterly waiting for updates. Also the ops stand is sweet.

RoughandReadyRanch said:
Common sense would lead me to the conclusion that you sir are a dick. All pleasantries aside you are likely correct and due to a large amount of drinking on a long workless Monday I seem to have missed what you have made so pleasantly obvious. I now see your point, but you're still kind of a dick. :D

Well, I do aim to please.

That's it. When even a MODERATOR joins the parade in hijacking the initial thread, it's plain pathetic.

UNSUBSCRIBED. And disappointed. First time on this forum.

Claudius' inverted carboy was on topic. He was addressing the slopes on the side of the carboy and how to correct it.

But yes, everyone let's try to drag this thread back on topic and stop with the aimless banter (there's loads of active threads on this forum to do just that).

That's it. When even a MODERATOR joins the parade in hijacking the initial thread, it's plain pathetic.

UNSUBSCRIBED. And disappointed. First time on this forum.

I love it when a non-paying member gets all judgemental about the forum. Organic thread drift = conversation. Conversation is what this place is all about. Back on topic: Denny got it right. As fun as this is, and as much as I applaud the OP's innovation and DIY moxie, it's just unfortunately not going to work.

One idea I had, but it'd a long shot, is some sort of an Arm that enters into the neck of the carboy (somehow) and is angled to scrape the trub off the shoulders of the carboy could help to the end of pulling the trub out of the fermenter. I haven't figured out how I'd make that happen though....

No, Denny and all the naysayers are wrong. All you need is one of those small artificial gravity emitters placed around the neck of the carboy...wait, I forgot what century and planet this is. Scratch that, Denny said what needed to be said about this in his first post.

But seriously, this thread has been so entertaining that I wanted to be an official part of it. As some have pointed out, about all you could do is cut off the whole bottom and slide in a big funnel. There would still be an issue or two to work out, but I think it could eventually work out. However, the only reason I could see for going to so much trouble (and probably expense) is if you really, really wanted a see-through conical. I can relate to that, but not enough to go to the trouble to make it happen for me. There should be see-through conicals and they could be produced. I know it's completely not necessary and the professionals don't have them, but many of us non-professionals have a big interest in the aesthetic, as opposed to the merely practical, parts of making beer. I like the beauty of the fermentation dance and the magnificent variety and growth of krausen.

I remember that pic. Hilarious.

Clearly, BBs shrink when hot enough. But the whole stretch thing is the opposite of shrinkage...

Cheers!

One idea I had, but it'd a long shot, is some sort of an Arm that enters into the neck of the carboy (somehow) and is angled to scrape the trub off the shoulders of the carboy could help to the end of pulling the trub out of the fermenter. I haven't figured out how I'd make that happen though....

Have you thought of using magic?

With a better bottle, one could hang it upside down, hang something heavy from the neck, partially fill it with really hot water, and stretch it out so the slope is far more severe. Better Bottles are shrinky dinks... heat them and stretch them any way you want. Look what my friend did to 2 of his:

jons-melted-better-bottles-56250.jpg

I don't like the semi-opacity of those shrinky dinks and the shrinkage is naturally horrifying.

But, since you mentioned the application of heat, does anyone know how to blow glass? Come on men, we can lick this problem. If not, maybe we can blow it, or at least hang weights from it and stretch it.

Yes, I've had some beer this evening and may not be as funny as I imagine myself to be.

Yeah, or a bent piece of copper wire through a grommet. But magic is the more elegant solution, no doubt.

What about keeping a stir bar in the neck with a keeper magnet. When it comes time to drop out, just gently rotate the bar around the circumference.

Back