Glad I Use Vodka in the Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyd

Reaction score
I went down to check on my primary this morning and noticed that their are about a dozen dead fruit flies in the airlock. Not sure where they came from as we've never had a problem with them. I'm just going to be extra paranoid now when it's time to rack.

Um, fruit flies are drawn to alcohol.

During Margarita season when we get lazy about taking the compost out regularly I have to dodge the little cretins in my drink.

Odds are they were drawn by the smell of the alcohol in the airlock.

If your lid is secure on the fermenter and the airlock is in place there shouldn't be any noticeable smell of the wort as it ferments.

My recommendation is to put some star-san or other sanitizer (probably not bleach) into you airlock. Flies don't like sanitizer.

My Airlock has really small holes in the top that would not allow bugs in. So there's that.

ditto. All my airlocks, s-type and 2-piece all have a "cover" with small holes that keeps bugs out, well maybe not a fruit fly, but no spidies for me.

I noticed on here that everyone always uses Vodka or Star San in their airlocks. I have always used water and never had a problem. Why do you use sanitizer or alcohol?

In case there is any suck back, you don't want unsanitary water in your beer. I use starsan since that's what I sanitize everything with and a little in the beer doesn't hurt a thing.

Used water for years and never had a problem, switched to starsan recently just because I keep a spray bottle of it around for brew/bottle/keg days... got it might as well use it.

I noticed on here that everyone always uses Vodka or Star San in their airlocks. I have always used water and never had a problem. Why do you use sanitizer or alcohol?

I use starsan because:

1)I'm soaking it in anyway, so it's "pre-filled;" and

2) *if* something gets in there (rogue yeast, etc) *and* I have negative pressure in my fermentor (temp decrease, or lifting the better bottle (usually that sucks a little air in) the chances of that rogue yeast, etc, living in starsan and gettinging into my brew are very slim.

Of course, the chances for it without the starsan are slim too, but as I said, it's "pre-filled" from the soaking.

for my first brew, I used boiled water i put in the fridge because I got rid of all my starsan before i thought about filling my airlock. Will be using starsan this brew though because I saved some

Best thing about Vodka in the airlock is when you are all out of booze you know there's always a nice fly filled nightcap shot waiting for you. Yum!!

Kidding.

used water for years, and never had a polluted batch. finally switched to vodka; 2 batches later, had a fruit fly in my airlock

Fruit flies mean youre not cleaning something well enough. I was a bartender for years and in an imperfectly sanitary bar you see fruitflies. In a clean bar you dont. Ever. Every time ive ever seen fruit flies it was because there was alchohol/sugar somewhere. In the well. Sink. Under the sink. Somewhere. They arent created out of fresh air they have to hatch somewhere. All it takes is a tiny bit of water/alcohol/sugar somewhere. And they love alcohol btw.

used water for years, and never had a polluted batch. finally switched to vodka; 2 batches later, had a fruit fly in my airlock

Fruit flies mean youre not cleaning something well enough. I was a bartender for years and in an imperfectly sanitary bar you see fruitflies. In a clean bar you dont. Ever. Every time ive ever seen fruit flies it was because there was alchohol/sugar somewhere. In the well. Sink. Under the sink. Somewhere. They arent created out of fresh air they have to hatch somewhere. All it takes is a tiny bit of water/alcohol/sugar somewhere. And they love alcohol btw.

Finally...someone who works in a bar...a voice of reason!

...because we typically need to over-complicate the simplest act in hopes that something magical will happen. I'm convinced of it.

I had a blowoff tube,well,blowoff the carboy and it got on the walls and what not.Had fruit flies for about a month thanks to that.After that fermentation was over,so was my problem with them.

Is that the same as one step?

No. OneStep is technically not a sanitizer. It is a cleaner. First I need to find out where the fruit flies are coming from since I've never had them in the house before. Then I'll make sure to use StarSan in the airlock. I picked up a 32 oz. container at Midwest today....along with 2 better bottles, bungs, tubing, a 28 inch spoon, bottle caps, brew hauler, ph strips, two recipe kits, funnel, filters, and a couple of 32 oz. bombers.

Back