Giving it up..not just brewing, booze in general..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
As much fun as I have brewing, reading about brewing and enjoying the final product I have to step away and sober up. It has just gotten to be more than I can handle responsibly. Throughout my entire life I have struggled with substance abuse/dependency (not just limited to alcohol) which has gotten me into legal trouble in my past, mental/physical health issues and depression.

On December 6th of 2018 my best friend of 13 years took his own life and I know alcohol helped him along to make his decision. I've been taking it out on myself by grossly over drinking, going through highs followed by really dark lows and mood swings. It has started to interfere with my work life, my personal relationships with my wife, my family and even my dog.

I've tried moderation, only drinking on weekends, using it as a reward system and nothing works so its time to take control of my own life again and deal with these these issues head on with a clear mind.

This is by no means a cry for help and I'm certainly not trying to put a negative light on drinking or anything along those lines. I just wanted to vent a little, get it off my chest and maybe by posting on here I'll feel more accountable for my actions.

Thanks for reading my rant, its over. Cheers!

I definitely support you making this very wise decision.
Your relationships and health come first.

Try some art, gardening, cheese making, cooking, etc!

Be well, Dawn. The first step to addressing any issue is recognizing it is an issue. Sad to hear about your friend, and can only wonder if they had the right help if they’d still be here today. Take care, do this for yourself and let your loved ones support you.

Good to hear you are taking this head on and not putting it off. It's the right thing to do for you and your family. I wish you all the best as you face the challenges ahead, since this will not be easy. I am also very sorry about your good friend. All the best!

John

Back