Gingerbread spice addition to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kommi1974

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing a Gingerbread Brown Christmas Spiced Ale Special from AIH. The recipe calls for the addition of the spice packet to be added to the secondary and then racking the beer on top to let sit for a week.

My beer has been in my 5 gallon carboy (5 gallon batch) and has hit final gravity after about a week. Sample tasted great. I am not racking to secondary (I don't have a free bucket and never bother anyways) and just decided to add the spice on top of the already fermented beer. This is the first time I have dealt with spice of any kind.

I then realized my "goof" when the spice pack just sat a top the beer. For some stupid reason I thought it would settle out and nope. I gently stirred for a few seconds, being very careful to not aerate the beer or cause any bubbles, but of course it's just a clump here and there and spice all over the top that probably will never settle.

I'm not too concerned if I'm going to lack the punch of the spice as intended, but just want to know if when I rack to the bottling bucket in another week if that will help "mix" some of that spice into the final product. I thought about gently stirring again after a few days, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just want to know some suggestions of what to do at this point.

Thanks again! :mug:

My Brewers Best spice pack went in at the end of the boil, for my xmas ale. I'd let it sit and try to bottle it without getting any of the spices to mix in. The process of racking to the bottling bucket should adequately even any spiced portions of the beer. Just an uneducated opinion.

my gingerbread porter, ginger root went in at end of boil and stayed there until wort had been chilled then removed, as per the instructions.

The spices will take on liquid and then probably sink. The end result of what you did is dry hopping, but with spices. It'll be fine.

Back