Ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just made my first ginger beer, spicy ginger, can't wait till it carbs up!

5gallon batch

1lb ginger diced in food processor
1 pound sugar
2 pounds brown sugar
3 lemons juiced and Estes
2 limes juiced and Estes
Citric acid to taste

Brought 5 gallons of water to 180ish degrees
Stired in sugar, added ginger and squeezed lemons and lines and let steep for 50 minutes

Last 10 minutes I added zests
Cooled down to 70 degrees and added in juice, then added citric acid to taste, maybe 1 table spoon per 5 gallons.

I strained everything out and poured in soda keg, waiting for it to carb

Next time I'll probably cold crash first and extract trub that formed at the bottom of the keg, first quart was very hazy.

First taste after beverage cooled was sweet but not as sweet as a can of soda, and had good tartness. Finished with a slight ginger burn, mmmm. Hope you enjoy!

Last 10 minutes I added zest

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is this Ginger beer somewhere as spicy as what Fever Tree makes? I'm looking for a recipe that gets me in the realm of what makes your lips tingle with every sip!

I've read somewhere before that a real strong burn, like fever tree, isn't from ginger alone. You'll have to add something spicy to bring that out. If you wanted to keep from adding pepper flavor to your ginger beer, then you might want to just hunt down some purified capsaicin crystals and add those.

This recipe definitely had a burn to it. I probably wouldn't add any extra ginger, maybe a little more sugar maybe 1 more lb depending on how sweet you like it. for several people who have tried this recipe it was way too gingery, definitely not like Canada Dry ginger ale.

Haven't tried that ginger ale, but I have heard of adding spicy substitutes, this has plenty of ginger burn for my taste.

Back