Ginger Beer Plant Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NATeOBrew

Reaction score
So like a couple people on here, I've acquired a Ginger Beer plant through gingerbeerplant.net which is one of the highest reputable sources of this unique strain of yeast and bacteria. I've basically got 2 questions that I can't seem to find too much of an answer for.

1. I've noticed that most recipes call for using a plastic bottle to bottle the finished product because of the dangers of explosions, but doesn't this just mean that it's not done fermenting? What if I just put it into a secondary and primed it for glass bottles. Shouldn't this work? And if it does, what measurements of, say, regular table sugar should I use?

2. If this works for ginger root, shouldn't it also work for root beer? I can imagine so, but I've only seen one mention of it else where... and that was only the same question: shouldn't it work? If anyone has any experience of this I would appreciate tips/recipes.

Thanks

The thing with ginger/root beer is that it's not generally fermented to the point that there is no yeast - digestible sugars left. Generally the desired end product is a sweetened beverage and the yeast is only used for carbonation (even if a "hard" beverage is desired).

On the other hand if you used a non-digestable sugar (diet - like splenda) you could add just enough priming sugar and yeast to carbonate. This would reduce the risk of bottle bombs.

As for recipes, the best one I've found so far is Alton Brown's ginger ale recipe.

Hope this helps,

Back