Ginger and Fruit in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncobble

Reaction score
Hi guys. Planning on doing a ginger beer similar to a Jamaican ginger ale I can get at a local market. In the ginger ale, they use pineapple juice, lemon juice, and lime juice. Clearly fairly acidic. I know there are a crap ton of threads on this but I need to get a clear answer to how I want to use the fruit I'm going to use. I'm considering using whole pineapple, lemon, and lime. I'll cut it up, put all in the blender and puree. Then, I'm planning on pasteurizing it by bringing it to 150 for an hour. I know that this will likely be better if poured in when I secondary, but am considering putting it in the primary after the wort has cooled. I also plan on using the zest (no pith) of the lemon and lime during the last 5 of the boil or at flame out. Will the pasteurizing method activate the pectin formation? Should I use this mixture in primary or should I wait until secondary? I don't have a base recipe to use quite yet but plan on developing one in the next few days. Any yeast suggestions?

15 to 20 minutes at 164 for pasteurization is what I do. I also add lime zest in the boil with no problem to a chile beer I make. Saison or witbier would be my choice of yeast. Let me know how this goes.

My suggestion is to post that recipe. That sound pretty damn refreshing.

After some discussion with local homebrewers, I've decided to use champagne yeast. I've never used this yeast before and am curious to the soda like characteristics it will provide. The recipe is as follows:

7lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 10L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Honey malt
1 lb pilsner malt

.5 oz Sorachi Ace at boil
.25 oz at 45 min
.25 oz at 55 min

5 oz shredded ginger root (possibly more or less...suggestions?) at 45 minutes
1 oz sweet orange peel (dried) at 45 minutes
1 oz lemon zest at 45 minutes

Yeast:WLP715 champagne yeast

At secondary:
5 oz lime juice
5 oz lemon juice
20 oz pineapple purée
All pasteurized at 150 for 45 minutes

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks for the feedback!

Back