Giant bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle a tater beefy stout and was looking to put some of it in one or two of the giant bottles you can get some beers and wines in. Does anyone know where I can get a few of these?

Thanks

What do you mean by Giant? 22 ouncers? Like can you give a size in ounces or milliliters?

What do you mean by Giant? 22 ouncers? Like can you give a size in ounces or milliliters?

He said GIANT, he must mean one of these... ...:D
image_2555.jpg

You talking about a growler (holds 2L, check before carbonating in one)? They also have 1L Grolsch bottles that you can carbonate inside of (I've used them)... Dig around and you might be able to locate champagne magnum bottles too... Just be sure that the bottles you get can handle brew carbonating in them. Otherwise, you could have bottle bombs (popping the tops, or worse) on your hands.

i am reffering to the 3-5L bottles some of the nice imports and such come in. One example would be some samichlaus i drank came in a 3L bottle.

Does anyone know where i can get some of these?

EDIT: Its not a growler, they are shaped like a wine bottle, only larger, and had a wire twist thing on top of a cork.

I think you might be thinking of a "magnum" sized bottle--much more typical with fine wines and champagnes than beers. I haven't seen them at my LHBS, nor on the internet though so you might have some sleuthing ahead of you...

i am reffering to the 3-5L bottles some of the nice imports and such come in. One example would be some samichlaus i drank came in a 3L bottle.

3 liters of Samichlaus.....Good Lord! That'll put several people down for the night.

Never seen a bottle that was 3-5L (keep in mind those mini-kegs are around 5L). You may be speaking of the magnums as stated above, they are 25.4oz.

Biggest beer bottles I have seen were the altenmünster 2L flip top bottles when I was in Germany. I brought a couple home and use them sometimes fow low carbonation beers. The tops are very thick but the sidewalls seem a bit thin for heavy carbonation.

Anchor Our Christmas Ale is bottled in magnum bottles every year. I believe they are 50.5 oz. I have one from two years ago. They also have removable labels unlike the Samiclaus and Arrogant/Double Bastard ones.

Yes, the aarogant bastard bottle but with a removable lable is exactly what I am looking for. Anyone know where I can get them without buying the $100 worth of beer?

Good luck finding 3L Grolsch style bottles...

I think you'd be better off just getting the 1L or 2L sized bottles. I've used the 1L and they work really well. I've been bottling mostly in the 500ml sized bottles, which is a perfect amount for a pint glass. 1L bottles are good for sharing with a couple of friends (one bottle to pop). I wouldn't want to carry a 5L bottle of home brew around. Considering how heavy 5L is, in a 5L mini-keg, a glass bottle would be even heavier (by no small amount either)...

I wouldn't recommend the 5L mini-kegs to anyone at this time... I've used them and they really suck if you're not going to finish them in one, maybe two, days (even on CO2)... They leak gas really badly, and you'll go through more than a couple of cartridges if serving where it's cool/cold (like last weekend where it was in the low 30's for a high)...

EDIT: Its not a growler, they are shaped like a wine bottle, only larger, and had a wire twist thing on top of a cork.

This is going to be expensive...not only for the giant bottles...but you'll either need to buy or borrow a corker.

What's wrong with bombers?

I have a friend with a corker that does regular or Belgian corks, and I have a ton of corks that I have purchaced as deals came by.

I have a full wine barrel of the stuff (60 gal) and am trying to try a
Few different packaging options. About half of it is destined for kegs, and about half for bottles.... Cost isnt really a concern, I just like the appeal if the large bottle and figured the beer would age well in them, plus it would look cool.

muric acid removes screen print ink from glass, but it's pretty caustic stuff.

Magnum of champagne = 1.5 Liters (equivalent to 2 regular bottles)

Back