Ghetto Cider from apples (Finished) Is it deadly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idon

Reaction score
Just finished my ghetto cider (that's what i'm calling it).

Should I be nervous about drinking it?

It all started in fall when I couldn't find a press and had more apples than I knew what to do with.
I ended up buying a 5 gallon sized cheese cloth bag, filled it with chopped apples about 30 pounds or so(cores removed), a few gallons of water, Lots of pectic enzyme, campden tablets, ale yeast (after campden tablets had some time), brown sugar, and apple juice concentrate.

I can't remember the exact gravity, but if i had to guess based on wine recipes i've followed in the past i'd have to guess its around 5-7%

I continually crushed the apples and spun the bag every day squeezing out more juice while the pectic enzyme worked its magic. Eventually after a few weeks the bag had shrunk dramatically and seemed like most of the juice had been removed from the apples.

a few weeks after that, racked it and lost most of the pulp and sediment.

Continued racking it a few more times until it began looking more clear. (it smelled like complete farts for around 4 months.) Read online some where to shake or stir it vigorously to release the gasses and it seemed to help.

Now it's crystal clear, yellowish pee type color, smells like apples or fruit doesn't smell too much like alcohol. The taste is rather pleasant, fruity, not a whole lot of sweetness, no bad aftertaste. Tastes more watery than anything, more like its around 4.5-5% alcohol at max. Best of all the fart smell is gone.

I'll dig up more photos and the exact amounts of stuff i had put in (wrote it down somewhere)

but my MAIN QUESTION is, do i have to be worried about drinking it? Could it contain too much methanol since i put a lot of Pectic enzyme and it consisted of tons of entire apples(no cores) for a month or so giving it a lot of time to break down the copious amounts of pectin from the apples?

Worried, but still drinking it as I write this post. :-/ can't help my self, it's starting to grow on me.

Sorry for the long post which might be confusing.

photo 1 (8).jpg

photo 2 (6).jpg

If there's a significant amount of methanol in it from your process, the worst you'll get is a bad hangover. You won't get dangerous amounts of it just from fermentation.

How do you get from adding pectinase to having to much methanol? If you are drinking it while asking the question and you can still read this then you have answered your own question. WVMJ

Orange juice has been found to contain more methanol than some improperly distilled liquor. Methanol fears mostly date to when bottlers added it to prohibition era hooch because it was commercially available and made it seem strong (reportedly LEA may have tainted some too, but that's another story). Point is, it takes a lot more than you can hope to produce breaking down apples. And like other fusels, you'd notice it.

"Ghetto" cider. SMDH.

Worried, but still drinking it as I write this post. :-/ can't help my self, it's starting to grow on me.

If you were truly worried about it then you wouldn't be drinking it.

There was nothing ghetto in your process; people have been making wine exactly this way for well over a thousand years.

But then don't listen to me - I only wash my hands when I go the the shower (maybe twice a week) and I leave my meat out overnight when thawing it. I take a wire brush my grill about twice a summer. As I have been doing for nearly 50 years already. No known diseases and I can still count the bricks on a building from 100 meters. :mug:

Back