ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the ghetto... In the ghetto (singing like Cartman).

image-2384795115.jpg

What happens when it rains on brew day in Bloomfield...
DSCF3142.jpg

DSCF3143.jpg

my all grain setup... yes that is a water bowl heater... no it does not heat my mash tun sorry, but it is the right height and strong enough, and the home tanned deer hide is my insulation blanket for my hot liquer tank
DSCF3167.jpg

my first pint off my homemade kegerator... an old mini fridge that had its guts removed and put into this box.

keggedbeernumberone.jpg

** edit**
Apparently i have not got the hang of posting pictures

My ghetto brew-rig, featuring the 15 dollar harbor freight folding workbench and milk crate.

303060_10150300016239067_620469066_7917250_382044247_n.jpg

303060_10150300016239067_382044247_n.jpg

Took a dowel that fit in one of the holes and nailed some metal flashing on it. The magnets on the thermometer hold it in perfect position. Not only is it Ghetto, but it's ugly-junk as well!
297903_10150300039144067_58243648_n.jpg

system.jpg

The turkey pot is HLT but I often have to use the 60qt for strike on 10 gallon batches. The quart pan is for pumping hot liquor until it's easy enough to lift the whole pot, vorloufing, pulling decoctions, boiling priming sugar and even gelatin. I use another 20 qt pot for decotions and cereal mashing (I like to do that on a electric stove top.) Since it's on the porch I can whirlpool and siphon to the fermenter down on the sidewalk.

You really aren't that ghetto when you are adding keggles and pumps imo. I put my turkey fryer on my stove and did a batch right in my kitchen. That's ghetto.

Ghetto stove top
photo214.jpg

Then did full 7 gal boils after that (no pic).
now I'm outdoors with a ghetto turkey fryer and my two tier sculpture (Grill and ground)
photo104.JPG

This is the cooler that I got for free at a garage sale. I fiberglassed and sealed the crack and made my MLT out of it.

Tunzilla:
photo3.jpg

I borrowed this coffee pot from work. It heats 4.5 gallons of water to 177 degrees in about 15 minutes.
photo5.jpg

This is Tunzilla feeding my $54 10 gallon alluminum pot.
photo2.jpg

I did buy a decent propane jet burner for about 50 bucks to boil my wort

I don't have a picture of it, but I cool my wort in an ice bath in an old wash tub.

Overall my setup is about as ghetto as you can get.

I have a fryer but wanted to brew in the middle of the night and not be bothered plus I wanted to see if it could be done for an option to those super cold days forthcoming.

CGVT said:
This is the cooler that I got for free at a garage sale. I fiberglassed and sealed the crack and made my MLT out of it.

Tunzilla:

I borrowed this coffee pot from work. It heats 4.5 gallons of water to 177 degrees in about 15 minutes.

This is Tunzilla feeding my $54 10 gallon alluminum pot.

I did buy a decent propane jet burner for about 50 bucks to boil my wort

I don't have a picture of it, but I cool my wort in an ice bath in an old wash tub.

Overall my setup is about as ghetto as you can get.

Yep and working well I am sure. Ghetto brewing ftw.

Some pretty good set ups so far. But some say they're ghetto,& use electronic thermometers,etc. I use a glass one tied to the SS stock pot handle with 3-4 twist ties. Ice bath in the sink. Homer cheapo bucket or stock pot for hauling top off water to the fermenter. Bummin rides to the LHBS to get stuff when I can afford it. Old printer stand for a fermenter stand/storage unit,& it has pieces missin. But some of you def got it!...:mug:
So,I'm startin to wonder if we're ghetto,or just slummin?...

Some pretty good set ups so far. But some say they're ghetto,& use electronic thermometers,etc. I use a glass one tied to the SS stock pot handle with 3-4 twist ties. Ice bath in the sink. Homer cheapo bucket or stock pot for hauling top off water to the fermenter. Bummin rides to the LHBS to get stuff when I can afford it. Old printer stand for a fermenter stand/storage unit,& it has pieces missin. But some of you def got it!...:mug:

Some of these posters are definitely slummin.....full-size SS pots, digital ANYthing, and modified kegs are certainly NOT ghetto....

No pics, but here's a good ghetto example: my wort chiller. Used to work demolition back in the day. The small wires used to run from a detonator to the charges are clean copper-core and the insulation jackets are specifically inert and resistant to heat, cold, acid, base, and oils. I simply coiled a significant length (30' or so) and used lengths of the demo-wire with a loop-around-twisttie2x-loop-around-next, repeat pattern to tie them together. One end has a brass barbed garden hose fitting to connect to my faucet - other end is open. Drop the kettle in the sink, fill the chiller with cold tap water, drop it in the wort and direct the runoff into the sink basin with the kettle. I drop a juice cap into the sink drain to -almost- seal it, allowing warmer runoff to drain out while the chiller refills. Towards the end (when temps are getting close to equal), the length of hose coming off of the tap gets curled into the insert bucket for my bread machine and filled with ice/water to get the last drop in temp. l've been using it for over a year without issues of melting or contamination. Did a batch two nights ago that I chilled without it (just icewater bath) and was shocked at how long things take without it....chilling overnight was still warmer than 45-60 minutes with the ghetto chilla!!! (I'm sure copper is great and all, but those $80 chillers cost 2-3 batches of beer ingredients! I'm getting to yeast temps in under 90 minutes, REGARDLESS of the style, gravity, etc.)

I used to just hang my glass thermometer from a piece of bent coat hanger.

My digital thermometer is just a 10 dollar true temp kitchen one from meijers, It's nothing special. I also use it when roasting turducken.

I ruined two digital thermometers already. Apparently it's not a good idea to leave the probes in hot water. Who knew?

Now I have to check my turkey temp with my mechanical brewing thermometer.

I found out it's actually the part where the probe and wire come together. It's not waterproof. Yeah I broke one too.

There is a tutorial in here on how to water proof them.

Or you can just make sure that part doesn't get wet. I wrap the cord around the mash paddle or handle of the kettle, to limit the the amount that can touch the liquid.

I'll have to find the thread and then get another. I really liked the digital with the probe when it was working. That's why I went through two. I thought the first one that I took out of the kitchen just gave out, so I bought another and it crapped out the first time I used it.

Yeah it's nice in the tun. Can get a reading without opening the lid. They have come down in price since I bought one like 5 years ago. Maybe I'll hook one up.

I've been going through quick check thermometers like that. Darn things just don't last long. May just try the digital ones. Gotta come up with some ghetto temp control that doesn't include water &/or ice.

Brewed a lot of great beer on this system...
SWMBO wrote the hop names and the other comments were written by friends...
miss this brew room :(
IMG_7257.jpg

gary, the lp tank on the bucket, on the crate adds a great sense of "Oh **** any misstep and this HLT may come pouring down in me"

Bravo! I love it.

From what I've seen since starting this thread.It's becoming all to obvious that necessity really is the mother of invention! Or.like meatloaf's character said in Roady,everything works if ya let it! Hence my sig...:rockin:

I just took some pictures from my brew day yesterday...

Homebrewing setup by malweth, on Flickr

The MLT isn't just teetering up there. I tie it on with paracord.
The item with the black handle (between the stove and ladder) is the "pump" that gets the liquor up to the MLT.
... and my son has nicer wheels than I do (lost that hubcap a couple weeks ago).

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

Thought I was the only one to use a 4 1/2 gal coffee maker for sparging....:rockin:

Love the coffee maker! even better... it already has a sight gage, a spigot, a heating element, a regulator, and a switch! Its like they made it as a HLT then figured hey... we can use this for coffee.

mrkstel said:
That scares the hell out of me. How did you manage to never tip that thing over?

I have no idea really!!! I guess because I didn't have any homebrew till I was done with the brew day. Hahahaa

I look back at those photos and cringe. Guess I've matured over the past 5 years. Hahaha

Back