ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No,I'm in NE Ohio. I just save the Leinenkugel boxes because they have separators in them. They also have multi-layer top flaps with tabs on'em to keep them closed. Those are the empties. At this point,I have just enough of those empties left to bottle the dampfbier when it's ready.:mug:

I gotta do a first FG test on the dampfbier,3 weeks today. Spent father's day yesterday finishing the editing/proofreading on my book & worked on the acknowledgements page. Kindle Fire doesn't do footnotes or headers. Had to do it another way. :mug:

A book on homebrewing I assume? I have been doing some research and am considering opening a homebrew supply store. I am a veteran so I can definitely use a VA small business loan and have roughly 20k startup capital. I haven't been brewing that long, roughly a year but this would be an excellent way to expand and learn.

It's a sci-fi story about FEMA camps & the NWO making George Orwell's nightmare world come to pass. But some 70 years later. I'll try my first upload to Kindle Fire on Amazon in a while. Gotta take my son to work first. Anyway,the main character was a home brewer till the sudden,strange changes came to pass.

That sounds awesome. I'm a huge fan of 1984. Let me know what it's called, I'd like to check it out.

The link to my amazon Kindle Fire page for the book is in my sig...:mug: He winds up running a small brewery for the NWO types.

Oh I was kidding. Hence the wink. Just sayin'. Next time quote me if you want to "address" me.

No problems doing that. None whatsoever. Just saying... Seems to be some tough internet guys. Guess it doesn't matter where you go.

Pro tip: a wink doesn't explain anything to me.
It is my opinion that nothing will bring you back down off this ledge of dismay over a comment. I've clearly explained the tone behind my text and you continue to want to push it as though I share in your passive aggressive method of making remarks. I'm not sure your end game here but you need to relax and perhaps have a few home brews. If it helps then I outwardly and sincerely (I am identifying tone here too) apologize to the poster for anything said in jest, that could have been taken another way, when he mentioned a part of his book that appeared to be the ending. Unlike you, reeberom, I have had previous interaction with the poster and I would believe he would have been able to note any humor in that. If he did not then he has not taken issue with me, to my knowledge (as I write that sincerely again to identify tone); however, you seem to and it seems to really bug you. If I could point you to a method of ignoring a member (me) then I would. It may actually calm you down a bit. I can't apologize to you as I have caused you no harm and you are not damaged. I can say that there's really no need to waste your time on pushing because it won't make much difference, as you can see.

Yes it is tough to appreciate a facial expression on the HBT, someday soon we hope it will be easier to realize someone is merely posting in jest, and NOT being a prick.

Life was so much easier years ago, wink.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I'm a big fan, in a most sarcastic way, of a vendor egging on members who have been his bread and butter for some time. I'll skip the emoticon since I identified the ton of my text and there is absolutely no mistaking how I want it to be read. In truth, if I wanted to be prick I would absolutely be very direct and not passive aggressive as I am adult who happens to find value in being as direct as possible. Who knew one comment would set two presumably grown men off so much.

It is my opinion that nothing will bring you back down off this ledge of dismay over a comment. I've clearly explained the tone behind my text and you continue to want to push it as though I share in your passive aggressive method of making remarks. I'm not sure your end game here but you need to relax and perhaps have a few home brews. If it helps then I outwardly and sincerely (I am identifying tone here too) apologize to the poster for anything said in jest, that could have been taken another way, when he mentioned a part of his book that appeared to be the ending. Unlike you, reeberom, I have had previous interaction with the poster and I would believe he would have been able to note any humor in that. If he did not then he has not taken issue with me, to my knowledge (as I write that sincerely again to identify tone); however, you seem to and it seems to really bug you. If I could point you to a method of ignoring a member (me) then I would. It may actually calm you down a bit. I can't apologize to you as I have caused you no harm and you are not damaged. I can say that there's really no need to waste your time on pushing because it won't make much difference, as you can see.

I'm a big fan, in a most sarcastic way, of a vendor egging on members who have been his bread and butter for some time. I'll skip the emoticon since I identified the ton of my text and there is absolutely no mistaking how I want it to be read. In truth, if I wanted to be prick I would absolutely be very direct and not passive aggressive as I am adult who happens to find value in being as direct as possible. Who knew one comment would set two presumably grown men off so much.

I was way over it.

On another note, how do you get the avatar? Also can you choose your own or is there a set you choose from?

Yes it is tough to appreciate a facial expression on the HBT, someday soon we hope it will be easier to realize someone is merely posting in jest, and NOT being a prick.

Life was so much easier years ago, wink.

I'm a big fan, in a most sarcastic way, of a vendor egging on members who have been his bread and butter for some time.

Sorry guys, I was not trying to egg anyone on, I was trying to point out that sometimes posts get misunderstood, as mine may have been:confused:, and also that I didn't think any harm had been done and everyone needed a big sip of brew....that's all :mug:

Remind me to stay out of these cat fights...no good deed goes unpunished haha...j/k

cheers!

I have one thing to say ...

chill_pill.preview.jpg

I ruined two digital thermometers already. Apparently it's not a good idea to leave the probes in hot water. Who knew?

Now I have to check my turkey temp with my mechanical brewing thermometer.
Not to harp on you but did you read the Warnings on the package? The probes of most are not meant to be submerged in liquid. You either need a Thermowell if you want to use one or find one that is designed for other uses besides "meat".

No,I'm in NE Ohio. I just save the Leinenkugel boxes because they have separators in them. They also have multi-layer top flaps with tabs on'em to keep them closed. Those are the empties. At this point,I have just enough of those empties left to bottle the dampfbier when it's ready.:mug:
When I lived in Minnesota we used to buy Leinnie's and a few other local brands by the returnable-case load. The boxes were made of some heavy duty cardboard and generally showed signs of age/use. The bottles...well, it was obvious they were used numerous times each as well. Even though you got your few-dollars deposit back when you returned the cases they were totally awesome for home-brew/bottling.

Here is a link to what one looked like:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/approx-130-bottles-4-24-pack-leinenkugel-returnable-cases-446723/

I pitched the Leini twist offs & use the boxes. I have one Leini case box when Giant Eagle sold cases of Summer Shandy. I went stir crazy a week or so ago when my computer did a thermal shutdown. so my brewery corner went from this-

To this in a weeks time-

The two stacks on the right are the dampfbier & saison. Out of the frame are the Irish red & ESB. As can be seen I now don't have to bend over tables & such to get to the empties anymore. They're now to the left of the bottling table next to the comp hutch. I also de-labeled every bottle that wasn't nailed down for my collection. Somebody can now pick up about two batches worth of SA bottles.

On another note, how do you get the avatar? Also can you choose your own or is there a set you choose from?

You can choose your own..after you become a paid member. Paid membership is worth it, there is a written guarantee your posts can never be misunderstood!;)

Here is my setup in pictures:

1) Fermentation chamber with temperature controller

2)Inside of fermentation chamber SS Brewtech 7gal conical, and empty carboy

3) Close up of the fermenter

4) Bayou Classic 16 gal brew kettle /mash tun with false bottom, filter screen and 1/2 ball balve. I do BAIB until I can get more equipment.

5) I have a paltry 5 gallons brewing at this point.. trying to gather the courage to go to 10 gallons but it might be hard using BAIB. Pulling the bag after mash is heavy enough now.

6)Indoor keezer with 2 pony kegs and a sad little ghetto party tap. 5cu ft freezer with temperature controller.

7) Inside the keezer.

8) After my backyard was redone and that first all grain batch was done, a Belgian Trappist Ale. It was the best I've done so far!!

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Lets see some real ghetto here. I want to see ugly, misshapen, half assed homemade $hit that is both functional, as well as dangerous. Come on, I know its out there.

How do you like that SS brewtech Fermenter? I checked em out. They look like a great value, Not sure if it was worth cutting corners on cost or not. They look nice though.

How do you like that SS brewtech Fermenter? I checked em out. They look like a great value, Not sure if it was worth cutting corners on cost or not. They look nice though.

Since I switched to the SS BrewTech fermenter my brew has improved, I can't say that it is because of that because I got my fermentation chamber at the same time. I do have to say that is much easier to clean, the conical design and the racking arm are VERY useful, the conical because of the yeast cake of course. The racking arm is cool because I can take a gravity reading without getting yeast cake in the way and of course, the racking arm to the keg is sweet!! So, yeah, I like it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When I first started this thread, I was curious about the run-what-ya-brung nature of the average home brewer's set up. I have not been disappointed! When I said ghetto brew set ups, I meant anything from slapdash to whatever you find that works. Be that from a discount store or picked up while out junkin'. I'm sure some of you know what junkin' is. Like my sig, everything works if ya let it. But once you start getting into Blichmann, & other such brew riggs, you ain't ghetto no mo'!
The old printer stand was gonna get thrown out, but I decided at that moment it could be repurposed as my fermenter stand/storage unit. The black table is from Walmart for some 40 bucks to be used as a bottling table. The broken chair is my bottle tree stand so I don't have to reach as high to get the top bottles. The 1 gallon jugs are for measuring mash water,etc & Starsan & PBW. Half gallon vodka jugs are for blow offs. Measuring spoons & cups, funnels, spray bottles from the dollar store. The pack of bathroom plastic cups are for weighing out small amounts of hops,etc.

So my original intent was to show your creative minds at work. This has been exemplified so far. Keep it up!!! :rockin::mug:

I've since added a chromed steel shelf to make things easier to reach & unclutter the fermenter stand a bit...

Not completely ghetto anymore, but still run whatcha brung.

Back