GFCI Protection Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonbrewer

Reaction score
Hello All -

Recently moved, and due to space constraints in my load center, I am unable to continue to use the GFCI breaker I was using at my last home.

I think the best option is to use an "in-line" gfci like this: http://www.gfcistore.com/30-amp-inline-gfcis.html

Here is my issue:

My brewery has 4 wires: black, red, white, green.

This GFCI only has 3 wires, black, white, green.

How do I wire? Can I wire white/green together? Ground and Neutral are wired together in the load center anyways.

Thanks!
Jason

That GFCI is single phase, 120V/30A. You'll need single phase, 240V GFCI for your brewery, rated at whatever amps your control panel/elements pull.

Why not get a Spa Panel instead, probably less than 1/2 of the cost of that new GFCI breaker. Hook that Spa panel up to the 240V circuit you have in mind, as long as the wiring is suitable to carry the load of your brewery.

actually...don't think I can wire neutral and ground together...neutral carrying load for a split off 120 circuit in the control box to run pumps.

do I need a 3 phase GFCI to get to 4 wires?

actually...don't think I can wire neutral and ground together...neutral carrying load for a split off 120 circuit in the control box to run pumps.

do I need a 3 phase GFCI to get to 4 wires?

Behind the GFCI the white and neutral should be kept separate, IIRC. Before the GFCI they both go the same bus in the main panel, which is bonded to ground. But they should remain separate wires in the circuit, according to NEC (code).

You do NOT need a 3 phase GFCI. It should be Single Phase, double pole (Black and Red). Not sure on an inline GFCI where the white wire goes though.

Why not pull the 240V breaker from the main panel and replace it with your 240V GFCI? The circuit does need 4 wires though, 2 phase, 1 neutral, 1 ground.

So, the spa panel idea is interesting to me, and could work, but that generates a new question

My dryer receptacle (30 amp circuit) is very close to where I want to brew.

Is there a way I could wire in a manual switch to choose whether the dryer receptacle is active or the spa panel is active?

This basically prevents accidental overload of the circuit when my wife decides to try and dry clothes during brew day.

If so, what switch?

Thanks!
Jason

Watching. I think that might be against code, but I'm not an electrician. I made my spa panel a portable by installing an outlet in it, and adding a dryer cord to it. Controller plugs into spa panel and I swap either the dryer or spa panel cord.

If the dryer receptacle is readily accessible, you may just want to unplug the dryer and plug in the spa panel. For a manual switch, I would think you would want something like this. https://www.zoro.com/leviton-manual...gclid=CKbu-Y3q6c4CFQsehgod4m4Ghg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: And I believe it would violate code to permanently wire the switch, but I am not certain. You could make the switch pluggable and portable, and that would not violate code as you are not changing your permanent wiring.

If the dryer receptacle is readily accessible, you may just want to unplug the dryer and plug in the spa panel. For a manual switch, I would think you would want something like this. https://www.zoro.com/leviton-manual...gclid=CKbu-Y3q6c4CFQsehgod4m4Ghg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: And I believe it would violate code to permanently wire the switch, but I am not certain. You could make the switch pluggable and portable, and that would not violate code as you are not changing your permanent wiring.

That's an on/off switch, you don't want or need that here.

There is no such thing as an A-B switch for circuits, AFAIK, probably against code.

When you want to brew, just unplug the dryer, and plug in your (new) Spa Panel, which has a dryer cord as the supply (feed) line. When you're done, unplug the Spa Panel and plug the dryer back in.

Eazy peazy!

Back