GFCI code ( minnesota question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybeer

Reaction score
I'm ready to wire in my feed line from the main breaker box , but have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.
The distance from my main breaker to where I will be brewing is around 50 to 80 feet.
Option 1# install a CH230GF ( 30 amp 2 pole GFI breaker) with 10/3 wire to a 30 amp rated outlet.
Option 2# I stall a CH230 ( 30 amp 2 pole standard breaker) wire 10/3 wire to a 50 amp GFI spa panel with a 30 amp rated outlet.

Option 1 would be the cheapest , I would just like to wire it correctly to code. for minnesota

Thank
Jim

#1 all the way. Voltage drop is ok. aprox. 2.5% or just under 6 volts. When you say outlet you do mean receptacle right? (hard wiring this with no means of disconnect is no good) Any motors involved?

A positive to option 2 is having a breaker close by your brewing area, and not too far of a walk to turn power back on. Also, if you're set on 30a ignore this, but I would consider spending the money now to do 50a to give yourself room for more later.

I got my questions answered on Eaton site. The CH230GF is a (5mA) people protection breaker. You can have a feed distance max of 250'
Sounds the simplest to me.

Also remember your load. I did #2 with 50A in main box with a 50A GFI spa panel. The different in cost is only a couple bucks, to increase your overall cap.

Yes I'm looking into the price dif now
30 amp CH230GF ($72.00) and 75' of 10/3 ($113)
50 amp CH250GF ($79.00) and 75' of 6/3 ( still pricing put it looks to be $150)

What's your overall length that you need? I have about 50' left of my roll. Maybe we could work out a deal.

I have at least 100' of 6-6-6-6 al SER cable I used to run 2 50amp outlets to my brewery as well...

Let me know if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back