GF recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well initial results are in. Not my favorite beer by a long shot but quite drinkable. Color wise I'd call it an amber. Taste wise I'd say it's an underhopped pale with noticeable honey overtones.

Part of the reason for missing my target(a brown ale-stout) was my timidity in roasting the grains. I just never got anywhere close to the darker malts with my GF grains. Their lack of additional bitterness is likely why it comes across as underhopped.

The non GF drinkers enjoyed and it consumed it without hesitation, so I guess that's a compliment. The intended benefactor was VERY pleased(jumped up and down actually) So I'm calling it a win even if it's not what I was trying to make.

History is written by the victors right :) (really I meant to do that )

Can you post your final recipe for this one? I might have had a few too many, but I don't see it.

The "final" recipe went something like this;
1lb millet malted and lightly roasted
1lb red quinoa malted and roasted a bit more
1lb buckwheat malted and medium roast
1lb purple asian sticky rice roasted.

Wish I could be more specific about the roasting temps and times, but I was kind of winging it at the time. I would definitely roast for longer if I do it again, to get more color and more toasty flavors.

I did a 1hr stovetop mash in a bag with alpha amylase added. This part also needs work. I don't think I got the starches fully gelatinized and so got a weak conversion.

After transfering the wort and sparge water to the brew kettle I ended up with a 75minute boil.

3lbs Sorghum@75min
2 lbs 10oz BRS@75min
1 lb barbados molasses@75 min
1oz fuggles@75min
2oz cocoa [email protected] have used more later but didn't
1oz fuggles@35min

1oz Hallertau @5min
1oz licorice root @5min
1 whirfloc tab @5min

transferred to primary onto a pot of brewed coffee
1lb clover honey@primary
1 package Nottingham yeast

If doing this again other than trying to improve my malting and mashing process, I'd play with more cocoa powder, more hops, and maybe adding some blackstrap molasses in.

Which is why I haven't attempted a redux yet :). The DIY malting and roasting adds weeks to the process which is kind of a pain.

Back