GF lager brainstorm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CavemanDom

Reaction score
It's cold outside. Other places around the country, it's really cold. Others, incredibly cold.

It's lager making weather!

First off, I have been thumbing thru various lager recipes on the interwebz, here and elsewhere, and I am trying to settle on a decent lager recipe. It's compiled from several different recipes, recurring ingredients etc. I don't have any brewing software, this is all cobbled together by hand. I hope this to be vaguely similar to an old eastern pennsylvania brewing company's lager. My brother prefers that brand, and he turned his nose up at the brewers best gf ale.

5 gallon batch
3# sorghum syrup
3# brown rice syrup
2# flaked corn
8oz maltodextrin
S-23 yeast
.5oz cascade at 60min
.5oz cascade at 15min
Probably whirlfloc too.
Syrups in at 15 min as well

I "think" this ought to result in a SG around 1.064? And finish at 1.012? (the malto is messing with my head)
IBU = Erm, hopefully not a lot.

So, to the fine and experienced members of this forum, suggest things please! Or those with fancy software, are my numbers right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ah ha! This is why I ask questions of the more experienced members. Will the extracts meet those needs or do I need enzymes too?

The extracts are fine, they've already had their starches converted to sugar (or were just sugars to start with).

I have heard of "brewer's corn syrup", which can be used to brew with. I'm not sure if it actually contributes any flavor, however.

If you do want to use the flaked corn, you might be able to use some amylase enzyme with it. I know igliashon here has done lots of experiments with different types of fermentables, so you might want to check out his posts / blog.

I think you should look at something like this :
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/81be8ec2/

or this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/pottsville-common-yeungling-lager-attempt-165157/

You would need to substitute Pale malt extract for most of the grain, about 4lbs of extract, you would still need to steep the a pound or two of base grain with the other grains for conversion.

I am sure someone will come along and correct anything I have said that is off. I am NOT an expert.
Using just the syrups you listed, does not seem right to me, but again see above.

Thank you for those recipe links but they both defeat the GF mission I am pursuing. I am also not set up for all grain yet.

I have read many of igs' posts and picked his brain a time or two. He has been quite a help to me.

*raises a glass in the general direction of Seattle*

Did anyone come up with any good IPA or PA recipes?? I like bigger beer, not set up for all grain yet. Needing to go GF soon. Any help in the direction needed is greatly appreciated.

lance

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Home Brew mobile app

From what I've seen, hop heavy brews seem to be more common in GF recipes, typically to mask the sorghum flavors. I don't have any links handy, but they are out there.

K. I'll start looking. Wife is on my Ass about it. California health junky married to a Cajun from Louisiana. Always on me about my food!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Home Brew mobile app

CavemanDom, looks like a good recipe to me but you may find it a little thin. My calculation without the corn indicates you should not get more then 50 gravity points on that recipe. Not sure how much you would get from the corn as I have never done that.

I made a bunch of lagers with sorghum in the 1.045 range and they were all good but thin. I moved into the Ale direction before discovering other ingredients so I am not sure what is the best for a lager. My experience is that I had to get up to 1.060 range for the beer to taste right.

You might consider using a pound of belgian candy syrup (5L), a little more LME, say 4 lb total and steep a pound of millet crystal instead of the corn.

I agree with your statement about the hops. I am not a hop head but found that I had to have at least 3 AAU on flavoring and 6 AAU on finishing to dampen the sorghum twang.

I also found with my lagers that the cascade hops worked. My theory is that Cascade improves the citrus from the sorghum rather than competing with it. I think you may like the Cascade in your lager.

Well, given my brother's taste, thin might be good. I know I've seen him with their light beer in his hand before. For my taste.. Big is good. So I probably will bump up the fermentables and just water his down :p

I bought the ingredients this past weekend, I have a GF blue moon clone bubbling for now, going to do another batch of Ig's NNS, then get around to the lager (just in time for spring *facepalm*) but I bought ingredients as listed above, adding 1# of 5*L candi syrup.

Back