Getting yeast from commercial bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so as I sit and enjoy a beer, shocking as this may be, I am left wondering about something. At the bottom of the bottle of Racer 7 Hazy IPA I am enjoying there lies a small amount of sediment. Is that yeast? Is it able to be harvested? I am wondering, if I can get enough of it, can I replicate the beer by knowing only the ingredients and not the actual amounts? I know, stupid as it sounds, it kinda just hit me. Now, with that said, off for another beer. LOL

OK, so as I sit and enjoy a beer, shocking as this may be, I am left wondering about something. At the bottom of the bottle of Racer 7 Hazy IPA I am enjoying there lies a small amount of sediment. Is that yeast? Is it able to be harvested?

I'm not familiar with Racer 7, but if it's bottle conditioned, you should be able to harvest the dregs. You'll need to begin with a very small starter and step it up a couple times.

I am wondering, if I can get enough of it, can I replicate the beer by knowing only the ingredients and not the actual amounts?

Can you clone the beer by guessing at ingredient amounts? Maybe, if you guess well. Also, you may want to find out if the bottle conditioning yeast (if this was indeed bottle conditioned) is the same strain as it was fermented with. But with a NEIPA, I'd be pretty surprised if they switched the strains.

I'd be surprised if Bear Republic bottle conditions anything but one could ask them directly. and I bet they'd provide an honest response (because why not?).

I remember Racer 5 as the epitome of a WCIPA during the IBU War era, haven't had their hazy Racer 7 but will be keeping an eye out for it locally...

Cheers!

I'd be surprised if Bear Republic bottle conditions anything but one could ask them directly. and I bet they'd provide an honest response (because why not?).

I remember Racer 5 as the epitome of a WCIPA during the IBU War era, haven't had their hazy Racer 7 but will be keeping an eye out for it locally...

Cheers!
I was a really big fan of Racer 5 so when I saw Racer 7 I gave it a try. I like it, not as bitter to me as Racer 5 and a bit more flavor. Just my opinion though, so don't hold me to it. LOL

You might get some yeast. Not that doing that stuff isn't interesting and maybe will produce some worthwhile beers. If that stuff holds your interest then go for it. Just realize that what you get to brew with isn't necessarily going to be exactly what they brewed it with.

Might be just a yeast they used for carbonation if they bottle carbonate/condition. And if they used something else for the fermentation, maybe they used a mix of different yeasts. Will yours grow in the same ratios that they pitched?

And if they used something else for the fermentation, maybe they used a mix of different yeasts. Will yours grow in the same ratios that they pitched?
Or it might be nothing more than a standard off-the-shelf yeast too, unless they proclaim it to be a feature like Pacman, it may be no better than simply buying a packet from the LHBS.
I have thought about the process myself I will admit.

I remember Racer 5 as a pretty good ale. Haven't seen it in a while and I don't recall ever seeing Racer 7. My local store seems to have dropped a number of my favorite brands like Bear and Rogue.

Like I said, it was just thought that ran thru as I was having one and saw the sediment at the bottom. I seem to remember somebody posting about doing it, but it was not that big a deal. Just thought I would spur some conversation.

I have propagated yeast from cans and bottles a few times. There are some how to threads already here if you want to search for them, or ask some more questions here. I look at it this way; for the price of a four or six pack I can get the yeast and enjoy the beer also. Or I could just buy yeast.

I get essentially free starter wort using second runnings from my grains after making my main beer wort. It takes some time to step up yeast but I find the process fun and entertaining. I now also have yeast that one can’t buy. It is part of the hobby for me. None of this is worth while if you count your time as money.

If you haven't seen it, you might find this BBC article interesting since they are essentially doing the same. Though on older bottles.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...ed-yeasts-could-change-the-taste-of-your-beer
Regarding shipwrecked yeast, it is a testament to the durability and survivability of yeast, however when it’s been under these conditions and dormant in “survival mode” it takes a lot more than a starter and stepping up to bring the strain back into brewing tasty beer. One of my local brewmasters worked on this.
https://www.craftbeer.com/editors-picks/long-island-craft-brewery-debuts-shipwreck-beer
Back to the topic, yes if there’s yeast in the sediment you can make a starter with it.

It's been my intention for some time that if I ever get another bottle of a Black Sheep Brewery in Masham, North Yorkshire ale, I'd thoroughly clean and sanitize the bottle before opening, boil up some DME, pour the ale into a mug, fill the bottle with wort and put some cellophane over it to see if I can get anything.
Just sayin' :mug:

It's been my intention for some time that if I ever get another bottle of a Black Sheep Brewery in Masham, North Yorkshire ale, I'd thoroughly clean and sanitize the bottle before opening, boil up some DME, pour the ale into a mug, fill the bottle with wort and put some cellophane over it to see if I can get anything.
😉 don’t fill it just give it a few ounces and some swirls to start.

fill the bottle with wort and put some cellophane over it to see if I can get anything.
As @Hoppy2bmerry said, you only want to use a small amount of (weak, 1.010 starter) wort.

That yeast is gasping for food and attention, but she suffers from alcohol poisoning while her membranes were severely weakened by the fermentation and packaging event.

Most beer from (larger) craft breweries is usually centrifuged on its way to the bright tank, to clarify and remove most yeast in record time. Hazy IPAs and NEIPAs are probably exempt as they would lose their unique character. So yeah give it a try. There are some special techniques involved to prevent infections when culturing from a bottle (or can), such as flaming the lip and such. Those culturing techniques are well documented.

I don't remember any of the commonly-available Black Sheep bottles being bottle-conditioned, and even if you did get some you may not particularly enjoy working with it, originally it came with their first squares from Hardy & Hanson and is highly adapted to that environment. But if you want you can buy Brewlab HH yeast which is - cough - rather similar. I don't know if it still happens, but Sheep certainly used to sell their yeast to Elgood if you want an alternative source.

I don't remember any of the commonly-available Black Sheep bottles being bottle-conditioned, and even if you did get some you may not particularly enjoy working with it, originally it came with their first squares from Hardy & Hanson and is highly adapted to that environment. But if you want you can buy Brewlab HH yeast which is - cough - rather similar. I don't know if it still happens, but Sheep certainly used to sell their yeast to Elgood if you want an alternative source.
Thanks! I'm not one to clone beer, but occasionally there's some element of something I'll eat or drink that really stands out for me and makes me want to see what it can bring to my own creations. I'll try and get some.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back