Getting Wyeast to produce PC strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiddoBrasserie

Brasserie de Laurier
Reaction score
Over the years I’ve been falling in love with De Dolle, I just had a glass of Teve before writing this. Wyeast has the Belgian Wheat 3942-PC strain, but it isn’t available now.

I was reading on Wyeast website that states;
What if I want a strain that is not offered in the Wyeast’s normal line-up?
Unfortunately, Wyeast cannot make small quantities of any strain for home enthusiasts. However, if there is a certain strain that you would like to see offered, let your local retail supplier know, and they can get in touch with Wyeast. These strains can then be made available through our Private Collection* program. We base our PC* strain selections off of your requests.

My LHBS is small, and I’m sure their request wouldn’t be enough to produce this yeast. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to get Wyeast to get this delicious strain into our hands.

"We base our PC* strain selections off of your requests."
That may well be so, but it's a push to say that the strain you want will be likely part of their planned selection. WYeast announces all their PC strains for the coming year, so... if yours is not in there, you may have better luck trying to source it elsewhere, or roll the dice for next year, again or join Gamblers Anonymous.

To stock up on the selection, years ago, I had ordered Wyeast PC strains through my 2nd LHBS (my 1st and preferred one didn't carry Wyeast at the time). I had paid in advance, and never got any of them, several times. Maybe the shipping involved made it cost prohibitive, never heard the reason. I doubt they were even ordered...

White Labs' Yeast Vault is not ideal either. Nearly 2 years ago they told us they were revamping the idea, but it looks like it never got much better, although the "daily" selection has expanded somewhat, at least from my observations. You still need to wait until 150 orders have been placed for a listed Vault strain before they put it into production.

Now there are quite a few more yeast suppliers now, compared to 7-10 years ago, but the selection seems to be more focused on popular demand.
I've gotten some more or less unique strains from East Coast Yeast (ECY), but again, availability has been spotty as well as hit and miss.

I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not freezing some of the WY3333-PC that I used recently. Who knows when it will be available again.

I'm serving my last keg of kristalweizen now, maybe when it kicks I can bring the residue from the bottom back to life? Wish I hadn't used gelatin on it...

If their beer is unfiltered and they have their own house ale yeast you could try and get one of the lower alcohol varieties and propagate the yeast from sediment in the bottom of a few bottles. Here are some instructions on how to do that: Culturing Bell's House Yeast

If their beer is unfiltered and they have their own house ale yeast you could try and get one of the lower alcohol varieties and propagate the yeast from sediment in the bottom of a few bottles. Here are some instructions on how to do that: Culturing Bell's House Yeast
This might be the only way. I’ll grab a bottle or two of Arabier and tie one on. Thanks!

Back