Getting used to a fresh keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
Recently I tapped a fresh keg and my immediate impression of it was not good. By the next day I was fairly happy with it and by the second day, my taste buds had adjusted and it was spot on. Granted, I switched from a stout to an IPA. After drinking stout for about three weeks, it took a couple days to adjust. Anyone else experience this?

Are you pouring off the first pint or two to get rid of the collected yeast on the bottom of the new keg?

Yeah, I always waste a few onces. Rinses out the residual sinitizer from the beer line and gets rid of the initial shot of sediment near the dip tube.

:)My last Stone IPA clone did the exact same thing. I think I tasted more of the flavoring hops and it did not seem bitter enough. The second and third day, it tasted more bitter up front.

I have this happen all the time. Not sure if its the beer clearing aka lagering, or if I'm just learning to appreciate the particular batch. But it is a rare occurence when I tap a keg and love the first pint, even after running off a little to get rid of the yeast under the dip tube. They don't usually sit three weeks before I tap one though.

Happens to all my kegs too. I really think it's the accumulated yeast on the bottom of the keg from the chilling. Even if you dump the first pint, it takes a couple of days....and a couple of pints to get all of the yeast that is made to swirl around everytime you pull a glass. After you've dug a 'ditch', pure gold.

Latest posts

Back