getting clove and banana flavors in my IPA?!?! Why?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADemon

Reaction score
I was attempting to brew a fairly strong IPA (OG = 1.08). After 1week of fermentation, I went to transfer and dry-hop, I noticed a few things:
1. VERY cloudy even though I used Irish moss. This could've been due to the fermenter getting a little bit shook up as I moved it across the floor to transfer....but VERY cloudy!
2. Beer did NOT fully finish...1.021. This could be due to my fermentation temp being lower than what Id like (around 62 for most of the duration).
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: heavy smell and heavy taste of clove and banana...like what you'd get with a hef! NOT at all what I want in this beer! I'm really confused. I know these are yeast-derived flavors. But, I've used this Safale dry ale yeast many times before with success. How could I be getting these flavors in my beer?!?
At this point, I think the entire batch is ruined and I'm really disapointed. But, I want to make sure this does not happen again! Can anyone help?

Let the beer finish fermenting and raise the temp to 67-68 to finish out. It was a high gravity wort to begin with so it probably will take longer to ferment and that's with optimal fermentation temps. It will take a week to clear after fermentation HAS FINISHED and this can be aided by cold crashing. Without knowing more info on malts used and how much s-04 you pitched its hard to tell what caused the banana/clove.

I'm all for keeping things on a brisk pace, but I think for an OG that high you should let it run for longer than 1 week in primary.

What Safale yeast is it? One time I had weird flavors like this pop up when using S-05 on a blonde ale. The beer was still enjoyable, it just wasn't the beer I set out to make--it almost had a Saison-like taste to it. It was a split batch where the other half was fermented with Bry-97, and that one came out squeaky clean. I assumed some wild yeast must have snuck into the S-05 fermentor to cause the mystery flavors, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Latest posts

Back