Getting Back into brewing in Sin City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swooded

Reaction score
Hello from Las Vegas, NV
I brewed a bit back in my early 20's, but let the hobby lapse due to a lot of moving around. Now that I'm older & more settled down it seems like a great time to get back into it, because I definitely enjoyed it back then & could use a good hobby.
I gotta say, there's so much more readily available information this go round. It seems like all I had to go off of back in the day was my LHBS owner/employees & a few books I picked up. I've been lurking here on Home Brew Talk for a few weeks now & couldn't be happier to have found a place with such an active community. So - thanks in advance to everyone for the help i'll no doubt dig out of here.

I also have one question that's been sticking with me in preparation of getting restarted. I'm planning on getting my equipment in the coming month (don't have anything left from when I was younger, of course...).
What I'm looking at is midwest supplies Intermediate kit, so I'll have the ability to have 2 batches running at once right out of the gate (it has 2 secondary carboys & a fermenting bucket etc) & will be able to bottle,which inevitably will be wanted with certain batches. Then, I'm also thinking about getting their double keg set up (tank, 2 cornies with dual regulator).

So , the question:
Is there any real reason NOT to go right into kegging if I know that I will want to eventually? Now I'm not really trying to stir up a debate on pro-bottling or pro-kegging arguments, just more asking from the standpoint of a "new brewer" who knows that they'll be kegging eventually. Should I just spend the extra cash upfront & get my "ideal setup" or hold out for a few batches of bottling, because I might learn a few things I wouldn't other wise.
For the most part it seems to be just down to the money, which is definitely a bit of a deterrent, but it's hard to pass up when SWMBO is actually on board either way I go. I figured I'd see if any of you grizzled vets had any feed back in general.

Cheers

Welcome back to brewing, Swooded.

Aside from the money part of the initial kegging equipment, I don't see a real downside to it. As long as you still have the bottling equipment that comes with the kit, you'll be able to bottle when you want for easier transportation/swapping of your beers, etc. Plus, if SWMBO is on board, you can't really knock that at all. Heh.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum! Work at Nellis AFB for 2 years, loved my time in Vegas! I would suggest looking around Craigslist first, you might save enough to cover your first brews.

Vegas? I just moved from there. I looked all over the valley for a home brew store, is there one there now?

Actually yeah we do, it's Vegas Homebrew (vegashomebrew.com). It's a really small shop, but the guys running it are great & definitely know their stuff. Prices are pretty reasonable too - obviously not "online super site" levels, but when you take out shipping & add the value of helping local business stay around (that will be there for those last minute brew day runs) it's not too bad at all.

Welcome to the forum! Work at Nellis AFB for 2 years, loved my time in Vegas! I would suggest looking around Craigslist first, you might save enough to cover your first brews.

I ended up going with a simple basic setup & adding a couple fermenters from the LHBS, so I have 2 batches & a cider/non-beer going at any given time. but I'm constantly checking Craig's list for add-ons to the setup.

Thanks for the welcomes. I've definitely been bit by the brewing bug & am not dropping the hobby anytime soon. I have a every other week brewing / bottling schedule running already for 4 week average primary ferments. The trick now is actually having enough bottles when bottling day comes around.

Back